Help with finger foods - scared of choking

ceebee

Reaction score
Well, I started off wanting to do BLW, bought the book and everything, then had scare where Harry seemed to get something caught in his throat and panicked.

Now, I do TW twice a day but want to continue giving him finger foods too. At the moment I am giving him cooked or soft fruit/veg fingers, but still feeling very scared about him choking. He's 7 months in as couple of days and I want to progress but not sure how to do it without having a heart attack! Wish I could relax a bit more about it...

Any suggestions would be great :) xx

We do eggy bread (cut into soldiers), crumpets (cut in half), beef and chicken strips, large slices of tomato plus all the usual steamed veg [broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato, parsnips etc...]. I find baby courgettes and baby corns make ideal finger foods. Also melon is a fave here as well.

James often gags still but I am a lot more relaxed now, it's just a case of trial and error until you feel more comfortable.

I did apricots recently and he stuffed the whole thing in his mouth, same with halved cherry tomatoes so I've stopped them.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Have a look online for baby first aid. I think maybe knowing how to deal with it might make you a little more relaxed.
The eggy bread is a good idea, it's so soft. Pancakes. Strawberries were good for us. It's is hard to not be so anxious. But I always make myself a drink and sit with him while he's eating. Spend some time, and let him enjoy his food. I still watch him like a hawk and he's 10mknths old xx

we started with cheese sticks. The ones you get for kiddies lunch boxes. i just cut them in half longwas so she can hold them easily and fit them in her mouth. She sooks on them really well!

we did try melon, and she LOVED it but choked so wont try that again for a while.

now we use banana, toast, eggy bread, pom bear crisps, baby biscotti, baby rice cakes, mango slices (she finds these difficult to hold) and dairylea sandwiches (I gave her an egg sandwich once, NEVER again. Oh the mess!). Rusks are also a good thing, although dry like concrete. They melt in their mouth pretty easy.

oh, we are trying omlette tomorrow. She did start liking her egg mashed in butter but last few days has refused it point blank. So am going to try an omlette!

will let you know how we go. Could be really good finger food

ok we wont be trying omlette again in a while!!

she liked it that much she rammed a heap in her mouth and tried to swallow. Que loads of gagging and then a heap of projectile vomit

full change of clothes for her, and had to dismantle the high chair to stip it and soak all the bits in bleach! bleaurgh....

Thanks for the suggestions people :) seems like I'm not the only one struggling Lynds...! I guess every mum goes through this stress at some time or another. You seem quite laid back about it Nat! I wish I could be more like you, although you have been doing BLW for a while now, so maybe you do get used to it... I actually did a first aid course when I was pregnant, but still can't imagine having to deal with a real choking incident...

I just spoke to the HV actually and she said just try really soft fruits and veg so I might try that for a while, though eggy bread sounds like the next progression, when I'mn feeling a bit brave. She also said really well cooked spaghetti was a good food to let him feed himself. Sounds like messy hell to me!

By the way how do you cook eggy bread and do you give white or wholemeal?

ps love the new avatar pic lynds :) x

Last edited:
I use white bread for James, they aren't meant to have wholemeal until they are older (too high in fibre I think?)

For eggy bread I just heat some unsalted butter in a pan. I then crack in egg into a bowl (large enough to fit a slice of bread into) coat both size of the bread and cook each side until golden brown.

I am quite laid back ceebee. OH got really annoyed with me the other night as he couldn't get James out of high chair ['how the hell am I meant to get him out quickly if he is choking?' etc]. I do concede our high chair isn't the easiest to get bub out of as the tray can be cumbersome to remove. So I now feed James without the tray.

Although OH has also conceded that there have been no choking incidents.

I still worry when I give him something new and he has gagged a million times but I am happy that gagging is actually keeping him from choking and the food is soon spat out.

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Nat :) Will def give the eggy bread a try at some point... I envy your laidbackness lol! Erm, another question seeing as you seem to be the expert - how do you tell the difference between gagging and choking?? xxx

Choking is normally silent, gagging they make a lot of noise and you will normally be able to see the food in mouth and / or they spit it out.

I am only going by the info I have on BLW but when bub's are young their gag reflexes are much higher towards front of mouth so they gag long before anything gets near their airways.

The human body is amazing hey!

I am laidback but not stupid. I still watch him like a hawk, I don't give him anything I feel will be too dangerous (for example I don't give him apricots as I mentioned earlier) but I do trust that letting him learn this way is making him more adept with all this eating malarkey :lol:

xxxxxxx

Thanks for that hon. Am trying to relax a bit! God, I'll be glad when this weaning malarky is over with tho :)xxx

This was one of the reasons I came on here tonight. I'm being told I should be giving freya lumps in her puree but she sucks food off them and spits them out, someone told me she may stop if she gets finger foods, but I'm so paranoid. She's not seven months till 4th July. Am I panicking for nothing or m I hindering her by not giving her finger foods yet. X

It's really hard isn't it heather? I think we need to let them do it though, even if it's stressful. Try giving her sticks of really soft fruit or well cooked veg (peeled) to get her used to the idea xx

It's really hard isn't it heather? I think we need to let them do it though, even if it's stressful. Try giving her sticks of really soft fruit or well cooked veg (peeled) to get her used to the idea xx
Yeah, when I stop having to think about 1 thing and work out how to plan round it, something else starts. Maybe Ile relax when she is 21, or maybe never xx

Yeah, when I stop having to think about 1 thing and work out how to plan round it, something else starts. Maybe Ile relax when she is 21, or maybe never xx

I know exactly what you - just worked out how to deal with one challenge and another ones comes along! I've been told to give Harry protein now, so more stuff to do lol! Good luck!! xx

Pancakes with butter went down a treat today! (Mummy enjoyed them too)

Might look up some muffin recipes now, savoury ones x

Mmmm, sounds like a yummy idea :) Eggy bread went down well last week xxx

What kind of pancakes did you do Lynds? The American type or the type that also form a batter mix?

xxxxx

the type that come in a packet from tesco! haha

they were really soft and just a bit smaller than the palm of my hand. She managed them perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back