Help! : UPDATED

babyroo

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you ladies with my problems again. I just don't know where to turn to really :cry: . It's quite a long post so sorry in advance.
My problem is my milk supply is definetly on the decrease, I do know why but feels like I'm in a vicous (sp? baby brain again) circle, I know I need to keep her on longer to increase supply but when I do it makes me hurt and tight so that knocks onto my supply.
When I was in labour I aggravated an old neck,shoulder/ back injury which is getting worse as DD puts weight on so it's making my body so tight and painful. Anyway , when I went for my postnatal check I spoke to my GP and all she could do was prescribe Paracetamol and Codeine, i take the paracetamol which does take the edge off a bit but the codeine made me sleepy so stopped them. The GP said that because I was breast feeding she could not prescribe anything else, and because I was breast feeding it was putting more pressure on my neck and the only other thing she said was you could lie down to feed her but then you cant because you've also injured the muscles around the thigh/groin area when you were in labour. I spoke to my HV a few days later as things were getting worse and she suggested speaking to GP at DD's check. I did and I had to suggest Physio cos it helped last time and she suggested nothing else. Well now because I'm moving house in 2 wks and moving surgeries it looks like they are'nt referring me for physio and things are getting worse. My hubby wants me to go to a private chiropractor but I know we can't afford to because we are moving house and need to buy cookers, fridge freezers etc.My HV I don't think knows what to suggest. I am going to be registering in my new surgery next week but no doubt it will be a while before I get physio. I don't want to dry up before then and I'm already having to top up more again.
Sorry for babbling but it is really starting to get me down and I just don't know what else to do . Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated?

UPDATED BELOW 20/12/07

Does it hurt to feed your LO because you are holding her? As opposed to pain in the nipple which could be caused by a bad latch? If so try feeding your LO lying down. That made the world of difference to me.

Hey hun,

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time - it sounds like you've so much going on at the moment. I think your determination to keep feeding will keep you going, that really is half the battle I think.

I know you probably won't have much time at the moment what with moving etc, but could you possibly find an afternoon to go to bed with your baby and just let her feed when she wants - I'm not sure how possible this is and in what position, with your injuries - but would this be an idea? This would certainly help your supply. Just put on a DVD or watch some cr*p telly.

Have you tried taking fenugreek to boost your milk supply? I've not tried this yet but apparently it's fantastic. Holland & Barratt have it on half price sale at the moment and postage is only £1.99 - I ordered some just in case. Here is the link. Edit - just noticed its the last day of the sale today - make sure you buy them today if you want them!

If I was you, I'd consider going to the private chiropractor or an osteopath (don't know the difference really) - money well spent - could you just buy a cheaper fridge? I bought a v. expensive one and don't like it!

I have to say as well - that I am shocked at how unsupportive your HV and GP are being when you are obviously keen to keep on b/feeding - they should be encouraging you! Have you tried calling La Leche League or finding your local NCT b/feeding counsellor (you don't have to be an NCT member or connected with NCT at all to ask for help) or found a local b/feeding support group? Take a look at this website too.

I hope this helps. I hope some of the other lovely ladies on here can offer you some alternative help and support too. Good luck and I think you are doing a brilliant job - so sorry you are in so much pain.

Valentine Xxx

Hey babyroo,

How are you getting on?

I don't think many people saw your post so heopfully this will bump it up for you!

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
Hey babyroo,

How are you getting on?
Thanks for asking Valentine :hug:
Unfortunately things are'nt getting much better but we are still going.It's been a bit tough the past few days with the added stress of blooming electricians being stupid but nevermind. The health visitor is coming out to see me on wednesday so will see if she has thought if anything.
:hug:

why cant they refer u for physio just coz ur moving house? they sound really unhelpful! im so sorry i dont kno what to suggest :(
i hope someone can help u :hug:

Just wanted to send these for you babyroo :hug: :hug: :hug:
Excellent advice from valentine there, not much to add except to say just do what you can and know you've done your best :hug: :hug: :hug: Have you thought about expressing at all, is that an option? I would also get back onto your GP or register asap at the new surgery and get an appt and tell them what's going on, take your OH or a friend for support and make them see you need more than paracetamol :roll: :hug: And if you need to top up your LO don't be hard on yourself, you're doing what you can, that's all you can do, you're a good Mummy for it, very best wishes :hug:

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for their support above, it made a huge differance when I was still trying to feed her and packing up our house. (Never again with a baby).
Well we are all settled in now , broadband on (hooray) I'm still breastfeeding :dance:. When we got moved in I had a couple of afternoons where I did nothing but feed her from the breast which really helped.Shoulder and back killed though but that is I'm pleased to say getting under control I'm finding it more manageable too, think the stress of packing up a home did'nt help really. New surgery is great.
So I'm a happy lady! having a couple of problems with teething (bless her) see other post.
Soo huge thank you's to you all you really are angels. :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back