Help, stressed, vent!

Tootsmaloy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am now 11 weeks and rang up the prenatal diagnostic (6 actually) clinic to book the neck measurement test for downs syndrome etc.... only to be told that they're all fully booked as every flippin' diagnostician in Berlin (I live in Germany) has gone on holiday. They told me it has to be done before the 13th week and that there's simply no free appointments. I tried to ring my gyno and midwife and they are also on holiday!!

Pfft I feel really stressed now like I had an opportunity for reassurance etc that I will now never get and I know this scan is very important so I'm feeling really worried right now. All I can do is try calling every prenatal diagnostic clinic in the city on Monday morning (although I'm supposed to be at work and work doesn't know I'm pregnant) and see if they can somehow fit me in.

Oh I just can't help worrying worrying now. I am absolutely astounded that all the doctors in the city have all gone on holiday at the same time and I just never thought this would happen that I couldn't get an appointment.

Has anyone not had this test?

Gaaaah what do I do now??

xx

Hi there. I'm not having this test done. It's not offered routinely so unless I want to go to a private clinic and pay then I don't get it. I'm glad to be honest as I think the results of it are jut one more thing to stress over. I'm not going to stop worrying about baby arriving healthily until they are actually in my arms so I'm not sure I would even benefit from it. xxx

Hi hun,

That is REALLY annoying. Heaven forbid anyone has a serious accident or anything!!

Anyway, I'm not having the test. My sisters didn't have it done and basically, it only gives you a crazy percentage and like Rednursie said, it can make people worry more knowing what percentage that is (and it might not even be right!). I know some people terminate their babies as they cannot make that decision to give their whole lives to caring for a baby if they have Downs, but that's something hubby and I wouldn't do so to us we don't think the test is important.

If it is something you want to do though, I really hope you're able to find someone who can help. Fingers crossed xxx

Hi rednursie,

Thanks for your reply :) I didn't realise it's not offered routinely in the UK. The truth is it doesn't make a difference you're right, but I was all geared up for it and now I feel a bit, I don't know really. There's lots of things in this first pregnancy of mine that I'm not worrying about, but some things I am.

xxx

Hi country girl,

Yeah I've read that you just get given some crazy percentage chance or something. Right now I'm more mad that everyone has buggered off for the next couple of weeks!

My midwife did say that I'm low risk etc anyway and I keep thinking, my parents never had the chance of such a scan (only intrusive tests if they wanted) and they weren't even offered the choice to find out what I was!

My OH would like to have the scan done so we can be better prepared, which I understand. I guess we can't do anything until Monday morning now.

xx

Hello,

Sounds like a nightmare everyody having holiday at the same time, try not to worry to much.I'm having the downs test it is offered routinely to all pregnant women in the uk you can have it done the same time as your dating scan.

We didnt have the nuchal fold scan either but there is a blood test that can be done around 16 weeks called the quad test - we had this and result came back low. Is there any chance that they can offer this instead as it is a very good indicator of babies risk

Big Hugs xx

I had my dating scan at 12+5 and they measured babies neck and took did a blood test. I was undecided at first about it and they said to me that the bloods i could have in a few weeks time if i couldnt decide that day. I do think they cause unnecessary worry if the risk comes back high though xx

Thanks for your comments ladies.

@ Bonfire bride and mummy2toddler - my next midwife appointment is on 30th July where I'll be 13 + 4 so hopefully I can call her next week and ask her about the possibility of a blood test. Thanks for the tip :)

Foof right now I'm so tired I'm so tired im just going to go to sleep and stop worrying!

xxx

Also thanks Tarah, I'm thinking calming thoughts. Very busy at work at the moment so I think all of these things pressing on me just make me worry about other things more than I normally would. Luckily it's the weekend!!!!!!

Hey, I asked at my last scan when they like to do nuchal fold test as I'm away on holiday over my 12 weeks, and she said anytime between 11+3 and 14 weeks. It's done routinely where I live.

Sorry, tri hopping ladies! :)

I'm 19 weeks today and I've not had this test and all is well with our bub. :) You'll be fine hun. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back