HELP, screaming, unconsolable baby

DW1978

Reaction score
I've just had to leave Jax in his cot absolutely screaming his head off and he's finally cried himself to sleep. He has been crying for about 45mins and I dont know what's wrong with him. I changed his nappy, tried to give him some milk (although it was only 2 hours since his last feed - he didn't want any btw), tried playing with him/distracting him and tried getting him to sleep by both rocking him and swaddling him in his cot. In the end I just had to leave him to cry himself to sleep :(

He was exactly the same going to bed last night - cried (absolutely screamed) non stop for an hour from 6pm till 7pm when I finally got him to sleep.

Do you think he's just getting over tired and fighting his sleep REALLY badly? Could it be teeth?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Could either of those. See how he is later maybe give him something for teething. Kynon was like that when he had an ear infection, think it hurt to feed so he was crying during feeds and not taking much, it wasn't until stuff leaked out of his ears we found out, poor things ear drums had burst must have been right painful. Or does he seem like he has a tummy ache, pulling his legs up? Its horrible when they can't tell you what's wrong, hope he's ok later x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Was going to ask about tummy ache too? Are his nappies ok?

It's not illness. Took him to the Dr for a check up this morning as he has a cough. Dr said he has something called 'baby bronchitis' which apparently is viral and doesn't cause them any discomfort. He gave us an inhaler in case the cough is annoying him.

I put calgel on his gums and he has now been asleep for about an hour and 40mins so may be both. We did have a busy weekend visiting family so he didn't get much sleep in the day time. Maybe we over did it and he was particularly over tired?

You do have to be careful with Bronchiolitis, Sophia has had it three times since she was born!! She has been hospitalised twice with it, this time she is just coughing a lot but it feeding and sleeping ok. The two times she was hospitalised I didn't even realise but she needed oxygen at night and she started being sick with feeds or just not taking much. It peaks at about day 5. She has it now but is getting through it ok this time :)

Seems he's just absolutely shattered. He woke up after 2 hours sleep, had 4oz of milk and has gone straight back to sleep!

You do have to be careful with Bronchiolitis, Sophia has had it three times since she was born!! She has been hospitalised twice with it, this time she is just coughing a lot but it feeding and sleeping ok. The two times she was hospitalised I didn't even realise but she needed oxygen at night and she started being sick with feeds or just not taking much. It peaks at about day 5. She has it now but is getting through it ok this time :)

Thanks Laura. Dr made me feel it was absolutely nothing to be concerned about and that its not affecting Jax at all which I thought was really strange. Surely all that coughing has got to be making him feel crap, he sounds so wheezy and phlegmy (sp? Is that even a word!?) And yesterday he was only taking a couple if oz of milk each feed.

Yeah it def sounds like classic Bronchiolitis, some babies can get through fine but sometimes depending on which virus caused it then it can get nasty. Sophia had RSV which is just like a cold in most people but can hit little ones hard. They kept her in for a whole week with it as her oxygen SATS kept dropping when she was sleeping. She was mostly ok when awake except for being off her milk and vomiting some of her feeds. They cough sounds terrible though, its the most common admission in the winter apparently. They actually set up a ward for all the bronchi babies when she was in! The hospital can't do anything just say to give smaller, more regular feeds, calpol if needed to help if sore throat from coughing etc, raise cot slightly to elevate them, I've been using saline drops just before bed for her just to keep her nose clear at least. It's the cough that's horrid though :(

Last edited:
I don't believe a word the Dr told me, my poor baby has women up absolutely full of cough and cold, he must be feeling rubbish. He's got a running nose, running eyes, awful cough and just isn't a happy baby at all :( I've given him some inhaler and some nurofen

Poor Jax! My friends baby has this now too and spent a night in hospital. She was told it could take 6 weeks to go, must be horrible for them. Hope he feels better soon x

I've had this with Oscar this afternoon. Woke up from his nap inconsolable and wouldnt' stop screaming, either teeth or cold (me and OH just had one so makes sense) he is snuffly but has top teeth coming through too, more likely cold I know.

Wouldn't let me give him medicine, didn't want cuddling but didn't want left. Hitting me, scratching me screaming more when I walked away. Arrrgh too much!

Hope your LO is more settled now. Oz is being very very clingy, can't even go in the kitchen without him crying, even though he can still see me.

xxxxxxx

Thanks Sarah. I've now given him a dose of calpol, some milk and put him to bed, poor mite. It's horrible when they look, sound and feel so poorly :)

Thanks ladies. Maria, poor Oz too. I hope he's feeling better soon too. It's so so draining and tiring when they're so upset and clingy and you can't work out what to with them

Lexi was hospitalised with it too hun, she was on oxygen and was fed through a tube :( Keep an eye on him and if he stops feeding, is taking less than half his normal feed or is struggling to catch his breath, get him straight to the hospital just to be on the safe side as it can lead to pneumonia.
Really where do some doctors get their qualifications from these day, most of them are full of *hit
Hope hes feeling better soon hun x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back