Help please........... im quite anxious

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by paiges_mummy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. paiges_mummy

paiges_mummy Well-Known Member

Please could someone tell me where it says about the head being engaged on the anti natal notes???
    I understand not all the notes will look the same, so if someone could guide me to the right direction id be more than happy

2. Kimbo

Kimbo Well-Known Member

on my notes, its under a heading "PP to Brim"

my midwife has wrote "free" under each weeks, because that's when my pelvis was free from her head.

last week though, she wrote 2/5 under the "PP to Brim" heading, and yesterday she wrote 4/5

3. chrystaltips

chrystaltips Well-Known Member

In my notes there's a column in the pages where the GP writes stuff when I have mycheck-ups that says 'relation to the brim in fifths palpable' this basically means, amount of the baby's presenting part (usually head) that can be felt above the bony part of your pelvis. It is measure in fifths but I'm not totally sure which way round it is. I think if it is 0/5 baby is usually fully engaged and 5/5 means that baby is not really engaged. Some people do it the other way round though and count 5/5 as fully engaged.

My baby has been head-down for about 6 weeks but has only started engaging in the last 2 weeks. When I asked my GP she said that baby wasn't fully engaged but was getting there and on my last notes it says 1/5. However, I'm confused as to if this means she's very nearly engaged or only just starting. It's confusing.......

4. paiges_mummy

ahhhhhhhhh just had a look, mine says relation to brim... then underneath it looks like it says lee, might be free :think: :think:

5. Kimbo

Kimbo Well-Known Member

yeah she probably wrote free

6. paiges_mummy

so that means her heads not engaged yet?? they told me she was head down over 4 weeks ago :doh:

7. chrystaltips

chrystaltips Well-Known Member

Babies can be head-down without being engaged. Mine has been head-down for 6 weeks but is only starting to engage now. Some babies never fully engage until labour starts.

8. ella

ella Well-Known Member

As far as I know second babies dont usually engage until labour starts but that doesnt mean they will turn around it just means there head isnt right down into your pelvis

9. DebbieM

DebbieM Well-Known Member

Mine says FREE and baby was head down last week which means head down but not engaged :)