Help needed

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
So - I'm finally throwing in the towel! I just can't express for another 5 months, I feel like it has taken over my life

So I'm going to go to the supermarket today and get some formula and start combi feeding for a while (until my freezer stock runs out)

Whats the best way forward? Just pick a brand and buy it, or get some ready made to try him with it first?

OMG I seriously have no clue, I don't even know how to make it up.

EBM is so much easier for actually making up bottles :lol:

Just be aware that sometimes the ready made stuff is a slightly different texture to the powdered stuff!

All the instructions are on the tin, but generally it's one level scoop to 1 oz of water. Add the water to the bottle, then add the powder. There's a scoop in the tin, and some tins have a plastic bit in them to level off the scoops. Don't dilute or concentrate it more than the instructions, unless advised by health professional, as it could make him poorly!

I am sure you'll be fine once you get into the new routine!

as Titch said all instructions are on the tin you wont go wrong Tweety

We started off getting Aptamil just because it said it was a breastmilk substitute not sure I believe that and Elise ook to it no bother I just couldnt feed her she was wanting more than I could give her. I was worried that once on a bottle she wouldnt take the booby but she did without fuss.

We now use whatever one we ppick up first as E seems to be ok with them all. We get ready made ones for when we g away like for the day and are far away fae home. Otherwise we have litle milk pots that fit inside the bottle takes up so much less space than taking the big tin with you

good luck ul be fine tho hun xx

How old is Aaron now Tweety? Are you going for follow on milk or breastmilk substitute?

We are almost out of breast milk now, I've been combi feeding using the Hipp organic which was what I felt was best for H after reading the reviews. I think it's a bit trial and error/luck with what suits them best.

You've done phenomenally well to have expressed for so long :hugs:

We are combi feeding now too. Expressing is bloody hard work! Kudos you lasted longer than me lol.

I just started C on Hipp Organic and she seems to have taken to it ok (I also read reviews and it was a tie really between Hipp and Aptamil, but with Aptamil's recent supply issues and the difference in price I went for Hipp lol). As the others have said all the instructions are on the box. I've found it SO easy to adjust to; you don't realise how much of a faff EBM is til you use formula lol! Xx

O is on the Aptamil formula. I tried him with the ready made during a rough night of "breastfeeding" & when I threw in the towel I bought the powdered. He's had no bother with either but the girls are right, the ready made is a different texture to the powdered.

How old is Aaron now Tweety? Are you going for follow on milk or breastmilk substitute?

We are almost out of breast milk now, I've been combi feeding using the Hipp organic which was what I felt was best for H after reading the reviews. I think it's a bit trial and error/luck with what suits them best.

You've done phenomenally well to have expressed for so long :hugs:

Do you mean that you just pick up whatever brand is available? I had thought about trying O with a different formula, a back up formula if you like, because the last few times I've been in store there's only been 1 or 2 boxes of the Aptamil that I use. I'm scared of there being none one day.

Sorry willowwisp, I meant to quote kaz1983. I'll never get the hang of this forum malarkey!

Last edited:
Aaron is 7 months ... Really not sure what formula to get him

Now I'm having a wobble about formula because I feel like I'm giving up :cry:

This is pants!

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

You could start introducing a bottle of formula and still express say twice a day, I did this for a week. If you changed your mind you can just introduce another pumping session and you could get your supply up again.

We tried SMA - made him sick.
Cow and gate - diarrhoea
Aptamil - loves it!

My friend has been breast feeding but topping up with formula - SMA has given him colic so tried Aptamil and this is better for him but her first son was fine on SMA so I guess it's trial and error.

You could start by giving him some formula in his porridge or fruit purée.

I know I've said it before but you have done amazing with expressing so long x

HopesDreams - its oki took me a while to get used to using thforum too lol

Yeh pretty much once we knew she was oki its more for a cost issue and I know that sounds a bit selfish but apparently Aptamil and Cow n Gate are made by the same people??

The only thing we did find with Ciw an Gate to start with was that it didnt seem to mix that well unless the water was a wee bit hoter whioch obviously meant longer to cool xx

Well went to the supermarket ... doddled in the aisle for ages and pt some in my trolley.

Walked away for a few steps, the grabbed it and ran back to the shelf like a mad woman and put it back :rotfl:

I'm an idiot :wall2:

Tweety you have to do what's right for you and Aaron. This is a mummy/baby situation, stuff your OH and anyone else.

I had a horrible time when I stopped expressing, I was overwhelmed with guilt for quite some time, I'm not going to lie, it wasn't easy. I know my situation was different because the hormones were affecting my joints and I couldn't even pick H up. But you are Aaron's main carer too, when you feel that expressing is affecting your ability to give Aaron the mummy time he needs, or when your so tired/sick of it that it's affecting your time together then you need to stop. No one but you can tell/determine WHEN this is. Take it day by day and don't put yourself under pressure. You can always buy a carton or two for the cupboard, it keeps, just because you brought it on X day doesn't mean you have to go home and use it.

It took me 4-5 weeks to stop too, you can't just stop, it'll be agony. I started by loosing my over supply, then cut down a bit more so I used up my 5 days in the fridge, then I was using one 6oz at every other day, every day, three in two days etc

You've done so amazingly well to have got this far, you said you'd like to do 6 months, you've done 7 already, plus one onto cut down would be 8, plus freezer store etc.

Be kinder to yourself, your an amazing mum.

Tweety don't be daft! You've done so amazingly well! Aaron has had the most important bits, you've given him a terrific start!

I can't recommend HiPP Organic milk highly enough, and if I was you I'd go for the Follow On milk. It's virtually the same as the First Infant stuff, but with a tiny bit more iron in it. But they do offers on it like 2 for £13, and also cheaper during baby events. I know that doesn't really matter, but if it's pretty much the same - it's better in your pocket than theirs!

You girls are brilliant, thank you so much.

I'm having a right wobble about it now. I've had a chat with the hubster and I think I'm going to give it another couple of days and see how I feel about it. I must be hormonal or something, I feel like a crazy woman.

I had a dream last night that i gave him the formula and woke up so upset, I don't know what is wrong with me. I feel like an idiot - Im really sorry.

Don't be apologising tweety! You don't realise how amazingly you've done. Give yourself more credit! :hug: So many people admire you for what you've done so far.

Aw hun no advice on the boobie or formula milk. But what you should know is whatever you decide you have done bloody well to get this far your determination is amazing and don't think you're letting anyone down love you arnt not at all.

If it's getting too much just switch hun and spend your boobie pumping time smooshing up his gorgeous little face xx

You're an inspiration to ladies everywhere Tracey x

:whistle: fapatalking :whistle:

((Hugs)) Hun. Giving up breasting feeding is always scary, whether its at 2days, 2years or anything in the middle. But you've had done amazing for Aaron.

Personally I'd try him on follow on as he's over 6months, just cos it'll prob work out cheaper. As for brand, there's not a lot of difference - aptimils 'closest to bm' is a crock of shit, it's no better than any other.

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Hugs hun, even at 14 months it was hard.making a decision although my supply went with the new pregnancy. You have done very well indeed. Dont pressure yourself into anything, pick up some follow on stuff and give it a go when you are ready. I would use your stock from the freezer first though xxx

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I think youve done incredible to do it for as long as you have! Ive done it for almost 2 weeks and im really trying to increase my supply so to do it for 7mths is amazing!

Im combination feeding, we are using hipp organic just because she really didnt like aptamil and c&g made her incredibly windy - its all trial and error though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back