Help, need advice on codeine use during pregnancy?!

Heres Hoping

Reaction score
Me again moaning about my pains lol. Basically ive had ongoing rib pain, came to a head last week & went to hosp, they think it could be gallbladder/gall stones so will be going for a scan to rule that out.

Anyway.....i was given differant stomach & muscle tablets, not sure if their working or is it cos im resting. I was given codeine phosphate as pain relief which seemed better than pracetamol. Trouble is even with rest i need the codeine to take pain away. i really dont want to have to take them every day, been told its safe in preg, but worried about effects on baby if used for rest of preg? Dont want a little codeine addicted bubs coming out lol. Can anyone help me or advise plz? x

I am taking co-codamol occassionally for sciatica. I didn't want the 30mg of codine and 500 mg of paracetamol so I asked for the 8/500mg combo as not much codine content. Codine is deemed safe but the less I take the better. See if you can get a lesser amount of codine or just take 1 of the codine phosphate. Use in conjunction with paracetamol. There is also a 16/500 combo.

I'm taking codeine for my back and pelvis pain. I spoke to my GP at length about what I can take as I wasn't really happy about taking anything but I needed something more than paracetamol to help with the pain. My GP said its important to let the mw team know about taking codeine when I go into labour but that I need to be as comfortable as I can be. I'm only taking it at night as I was getting little sleep and I'm trying not to take them during the day and just sticking to paracetamol if I can manage x

See im crap at pain killers & what to take with what & what dosage lol Theyv given me 30mg, 2 four times daily as required. I never take pain killers normally so only taking them when REALLY need it, but finding im needing it every day now for any sort of relief. Paracetamol was useless, didnt touch the pain. Just worried about long term use if it turns out im gona suffer this for rest of preg. Heard codeine can have withdrawal affects so worried about bubs? xx

It can make you quite constipated so you might need a laxative too depending on how long u use it

I'm taking codeine for my back and pelvis pain. I spoke to my GP at length about what I can take as I wasn't really happy about taking anything but I needed something more than paracetamol to help with the pain. My GP said its important to let the mw team know about taking codeine when I go into labour but that I need to be as comfortable as I can be. I'm only taking it at night as I was getting little sleep and I'm trying not to take them during the day and just sticking to paracetamol if I can manage x

Wonder why u have to say to mw when in labour? For babys sake or urs? I hate having to take anything aswell, it & the muscle tablet makes me drowsy so hope lo isnt sedated in there too!! x

I think it's because it's a strong painkiller, but I'm not 100% sure. I remember being asked when I was in labour with my first they asked me if I'd taken any medication x

i have been suffering with sciatica for weeks now and the doc gave me 30mg worth of codeine to take every four hours , either 2 of them or 1 of them and 1 paracetamol every four hours.
iv always been used to strong pain killers so paracetamol dont touch me.
iv had a high dose of codeine before and i loved them lol they take the pain away straight away but this time since iv been pregnant, they just make me feel sick half the time :(
i think as long as your careful with any other meds you might be on and eat plenty of foods to make you go the loo on a regular basis you should be fine.
i got told its usually the 60mg batch of codeine that make ya constipated x

Last edited:
I took 30/500 codeine every day in pregnancy from 27 weeks due to severe migraines. And tramadol..... I was told its FINE however its important to stop taking at about 36 weeks because of addiction so that get gives it enough time to leave baby etc before birth. It can make you constipated so mae sure you eat enough fibre and use some stool softener like fibrogel I think tit is x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back