Help! Incontinence....?!

sarah1

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I have a really embarrassing problem and not sure what to do! Since birth I have suffered a bit of stress incontince when walking etc but that improved lots by the time I had postnatal check which I told to the doctor, who said that's fine/will keep improving. I've also still got pain in what feels like the 'front' of pelvic floor muscles when I go to the loo, and again doctor said this will improve.

I decided it was time to start exercising again so went to aquafit yesterday, only to find I seem to have quite a problem with stress incontinence. I had to stop doing the exercises for lower body for fear of leaking and when I got out of pool (showers and toilets very close by thankfully), I just felt like I was wetting myself but couldn't stop it.

I'm sooooo embarrassed and upset cos I love swimming but feel I can't go back now. I'm trying to do pelvic floor exercises but not sure if that's enough to help me. Haven't spoken to hubby about it yet and we haven't had sex yet either since the birth (8 weeks) but now I'm too scared to because of the pain and leakage.

Xxxxxxx

Can't offer much advice other than upping the pelvic floor exerises, definitely speak to your doctor about it.

I had the opposite problem after giving birth in that I overstretched my bladder and ended up with a catheter for a week.

Hope it improves soon xx

I had that after having my first child, I went back to my GP and ended up having 6 months of physio to strengthen my muscles. It did help a lot, but I still have to use panty liners daily. However, I had an episiotomy, followed by 3rd degree tear and also quite bad internal tearing where the forceps tore inside.

I watched a segment on embarrassing bodies a few weeks ago, and the doctor said there are quite a few things they can do to make it improve.

Good luck x

Definately go back to them. Sometimes the pelvic floor needs a surgical repair. I have a rectocele (bowel) prolapse due to traumatic birth and no amount of pelvic floor exercises will fix it. I'll wait until after we have another baby (hopefully soon) and then request a surgical repair. I'm sure lots of women experience these things so please don't be embarrassed, all the nice things they don't tell you about before children! Good luck.

Ive had a surgical repair, due to we think being born with a real weekness there, its not perfect or a total solution but its very good compared. I had it before kids as a teanager and they didnt mention they would make me have section births because of it so do wait till after your family is def complete.

You can get electronic kegal gadgets in boots online to help, im goingvto thoroughly look into these and treat myself after this last baby to help me with correct and effichant exersizes , may be worth you trying them, there not cheep but its not a nice problem is it, so worth a good try, esp as i dont think surgery is a total fix.

Hang in there, you will get there x

Thanks ladies for the advice. I braved aquafit to just do the upper body exercises and now know how far I can push myself whilst still being 'safe' so at least I can do a little bit of exercise. Still got the pain when going to loo though which doesn't seem to be going. Will get back to docs. Jj - might try one of those things, like you say better than surgery! Not sure if I've said it before but congrats on the baby and absolutely love the names you've picked! Xx

Hey hunnie, I still wear incontrnience pads nearly two years after having my LO.

I had physio but it wasn't helping much and I wasn't getting a proper chance to do the exercises. I know its only pelvic floor exercises but getting spare time to myself in my house to concentrate on it was impossible. I had a urodynamics test last year and am still waiting on the outcome. Hospital haven't gotten back to me and I've just had other things to deal with but I'm making a point of ringing them this week about it.

It is really embarrassing. I've taken my LO swimming a few times and always felt like I was leaking. Whether that was me being overly paranoid or not it still isn't a nice feeling. I find that I can't wear the usual style of clothes that I'd normally wear because I'm scared my pad will show or that I smell of urine.

Walking isn't as pleasurable as it once was. I'm always thinking what if I leak. And the worst thing that I do is that if I am heading out and walking I tend to not drink much fluids as I'm scared that I'll need the loo and leak, even though I know it's silly.

Definitely go to your GP and get referred for physio and see if that helps hun. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back