HELP!!!!! feeding question

alana is drinking 9oz at a time, and still having her 5/6 bottles a day.

she is 3 months 2 weeks... is this a sign i should start solids properly? any one give me some advice would be great.

braydon is doing the same but the HV told me not to start solids till 17 weeks as his body wont be ready before, and 17 weeks is still early tho

people either tell u to wait until then or wait until baby can hold head up, makes chewing motions or has doubled in weight..... alana has done all them.... grrrr im so confused, ive tried her on a few things like baby rice and she loved it and ate it all in 2/3 mins.

i dont ever see a HV as we dont have baby clinic here so have no idea who to ask, oh and my dr is about as useful as asking alana herself.

Mason was a very hungry baby, and I was told to wait till he was 4 months before starting weaning.

but of alana had come on time she wud be 4 months :lol: :lol: :lol: shes having 40oz a day :shock:

Ethan was like that, he was a fat little boy and drank all this bottles dry at 3 months.

my HV at teh time told me to give him breakfast and dinner with his bottles, i used to just give him some baby rice or running weetabix for breakie with a bottle of milk and then bottles through out teh day as normal, then for dinner/supper, id give him the same as i did for breakie.

it seemd to work on him, he didnt seem to be as hungry, wasnt draining his bottles as much in the day time and settled more in the nights too.

every baby is diffrent tho so what worked for me might not work for you, i would check with your HV.

good luck

xx

layla said:
every baby is diffrent tho so what worked for me might not work for you, i would check with your HV.

good luck

xx

big problem.... i dont have a HV.... or i wud :cry: :cry:

ah right sorry, i missed that bit.

well from what my HV told me on Ethan its fine to give extra at this age, but not to wean yet.
but then that was 6 years ago and alot of things have changed.

Hello,
My child is now 13 months old, I was told by health visitor to wait until Luke was 17 weeks old too but by fourteen weeks he was feeding every hour and a half and getting up 8 times in the night to feed and I was totally knackered! The Health Visitor then relented and said that I should try him on solids. He took to them straight away and within a fourtnight was feeding much less and sleeping better at night. If you think that Alana is ready then try her.

Kristy

hi elaine hannah is having no where near that amount of milk.i would try her on solids hv told me 15lb or 16 weeks which ever comes first

hehe shes a little piglet bless her!! lol
I would start her off on some solids, i started jamie at 3 and a half months as is was so hungry all the time. i just started him with baby porridge in the morning and have now started to give him solids in the evening too.

i started with baby rice at 4 months and just once a day just to see how her stomach reacted - i.e wind or colic etc but he was fine.
try it and see. i tried one meal a day for the first week then increased to 2x daily and introduced rusks in a morning

ok im gonna sound really bad now but ethan has been on solids frm about 8 weeks he started with just baby rice then onto porridge now he has spag bol veggie casserole broccolli and carrot pear apple banana he still has 5 bottles of 5 oz (recommneded for his age) aday and is now sleeping from 8ish until 6ish in the morning and it has helped with colic so i would say every baby is different just go with what u think

I have been told by HV (for future refernce obviously) to not wean your baby onto solids or give them anything other than milk till at least 4 months (17 weeks) as babies tummies are far too delicate for anything else beforehand and can actually damage them :shock: The guidelines are now that you should wait until 6 months as a baby shoud not need anything esle other than milk until then.

BUT every baby is different and if Alana is hungry for it now then give her it if you feel confident doing so. If it made her ill then surely you would notice! I think baby rice is a good place to start and see how you get on. Iv'e been told not to expect to wean Damien till definately nearer 6 months, if not 7or8 months. But I will leave that down to him to let me know when he is ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back