HELP!! - Decisions on Pain Relief

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by JULS, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JULS

JULS Active Member

Hi,

Can anyone help with info on pain relief during labour. I'm due on 6th December but the closer it's getting the more anxious & nervous I'm getting. I'm so excited about our baby but know I have to go through this first. I'm also worried about tearing during the birth (too much info I know - sori). I've read some things about massage & water birth reducing the chance of this. Any advice please??

Juls x

2. -Cat-

-Cat- Well-Known Member

Hi Jules,
    Try not to worry to start with. I find the best thing is to research into what pain methods are avaliable so you know exactly what each entails and any possible side-effects so you can make an informed decision.
    I have been to see the anetheatist about pain relief as I have some complications involving my back. She talked me through all the pain relief options and what side effects they have, and she was very much in agreement with my plans. Firstly keeping mobile during labour, I will be using a birthing pool, then gas and air if nesasare (if you dont like the effects you can stop using it and it wears off straight away, then if labour goes on for an extended amount of time or is far more painfull than anticipated I will opt for a 'walking' epidural. Personally I will not go for Pethadine and my anetheatist agrees that she dosent recomend it to anyone as it has a lot of side-efects on you and the baby. but the choice is up to you. Your midwife or hospital should be able to give you leaflets on pain relief and should you have any more questions they shoud be happy to give you an honest and professional opinion.

3. littlebump

littlebump Well-Known Member

Hello

I would say also to make sure you have a backup plan. My friend had opted to have a water birth, however when her waters broke there was meconium (sp) in there so they had to put on fetal monitors as they thought baby may have been in distress. Therefore she wasn't able to use the pool.

She immediately felt not in control of the situation and panicked, therefore wasn't able to cope well with the labour and ended up having an epidural straight away which she was totally against doing!

Incidentally she got on great with the epi, but it made me realise a backup plan is definitely important if you want to stay in control of the situationl.

LBxx

4. JULS

JULS Active Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot for ur advice to my concerns. I have been doing some reading into the different options but sometimes it's good to hear from other people who have either been through it or have good advice. I do think it is a good idea to have a back-up plan just incase (thanks for that) because I too think I would feel not in control of the situation if things weren't going to plan. I have my next appointment with my midwife this week so I will discuss things with her then & hopefully things may become clearer & less worrying. Thanx again.

Juls x

5. sharonvardy

sharonvardy Active Member

Just one quick piece of advice that I found invaluble.

I have four children (preg with 5th)

When I gave birth to my first I tore. When the urge came to push I just pushed and pushed and didn't stop.. I didn't listen to the midwife.

LISTEN TO YOUR MIDWIFE, WHEN SHE TELLS YOU TO PUSH THEN PUSH AND WHEN SHE TELLS YOU TO PANT, THEN PANT.!!!!!

I have had three more babies since and didn't tear with any of them! I did everything she told me, even when the overwhelming urge to push hits you, if she says don't push, then don't.

I truly believe that pain can be controlled by the mind, the more you relax the better.... I have had Gas and Air, Pethidine, Epidural with my pregnancies but the last one I had nothing and it was the best..

Good luck to you.....

6. JULS

JULS Active Member

Hi,

Thanks for that bit of advice. I guess it must be difficult to listen to what people are telling u when u r going through labour especially when it's the first & ur not really sure what's going on.

I also believe & hope that pain can be controlled in the mind & the midwife is experienced & knows best so ur right when u say listen to her. I'm sure it's true when people say that labour is the quickest pain forgotten because uve went on to have another three - hope all is well.

Thanks for ur advice & luck.

Juls x

7. minikins

minikins Well-Known Member

Here is some info I got from my Pampers newsletter;

EASING LABOUR DISCOMFORT Women experience vastly different levels of discomfort during labour - no one is sure why. Every mother's body will react differently to the task of giving birth. The length of your labour is one aspect that might influence whether or not you opt for pain relief. Some babies race down the birth canal and pop out before mum makes it out of the door. While others choose to stretch their journey down the birth canal over a number of days, leaving mum feeling exhausted and in need of a little help! Fortunately, you have a large number of options available to reduce labour discomfort, and in most cases you can make your choices as and when pain relief becomes necessary.

NONMEDICAL PAIN RELIEF There are many helpful natural strategies that can reduce discomfort and help you stay calm and focused during labour. Relaxation techniques, massage, controlled breathing, visual imagery, and music are all noninvasive ways of easing pain and soothing nerves. You may already have practiced these techniques during antenatal classes and at home - make sure your birthing partner has also been doing his or her homework!

MEDICATION AND ANAESTHESIA If you feel that the labour is getting too uncomfortable for you to manage, you have a number of different options to turn to. Certain pain-relieving medications act as relaxants to ease tension and take the edge off the pain. You can also have injections to make your contractions feel less intense. Or you may want to opt for an epidural anaesthetic. This injection into your spinal column removes most of the sensations from contractions. Using medication can make the labour much easier to cope with, but they can also affect your baby, so you need to weigh up the pros and cons.

Be sure to discuss all the pain relief options with your midwife before your labour begins. It is good for you to enter the process with an idea of what your may like to try if the discomfort gets too much for you. But please, please remember to keep an open mind. The choices you make now may not end up being the right ones on the day, and what you opt for in the end will be determined by your labour. And always listen to your midwife's suggestions - she has yours and your baby's best interests at heart.

Hope it helps !

8. JULS

JULS Active Member

Hi Minikins,

Thanks for ur information on my worries, I found it helpful. Hope ur pregnancy is giong well.

Juls x

9. minikins

minikins Well-Known Member

Thanks Juls no probs, it's a mine field of info out there sometimes. All the best for your pg too :)