Help and advice needed!!

brand new

Reaction score
Just a bit of back ground info for u before I ask for the advice bit! Jack was born at 35+5 and weighed 3lb 14oz wen born. He stopped growing at 30 weeks but didn't find his out till I had a scan at 35+2! I had severe pre eclampsia but had only one symptom(which I didn't know was one at the time!) any way I digress. He now weighs 11lb 14oz at 15 weeks. My question is this.... Is he taking too much or not enough milk. I personally think he is drinking loads, yet my hv says I should offer him more as he currently drains every bottle dry. He is taking 150ml every 3-4 hours during the day. Then sleeping 6/7 hours through the night. But by the time he's Finished his bottle he is fast asleep? What do I do for best? I feel like I'm letting him down and not doing my best by him? Plz help mummies!! Xxx

Id say if hes going that long at night he sounds like hes getting enough? Are they worried about his centiles maybe? Can you up an ounce each bottle. If hes draining them maybe that's the sign to give more. Think thats what I used to do. Xx

tapatalking

What we did with Rian when he was draining his 5oz bottled was make up 6oz to see if he would take it all or not. Hes now 8wks and hes on 6oz day he doesnt always drink it mind you. Why not try making up more for him and see what happens hun at the end of the day if he wants more than your giving him i would imagine he would be screaming the house down lol

You are doing an amazing job as hes doing so well considering how dinky he was xxx

Well, they say a baby should have 2.5 x their weight in oz. so if you have a 12lb baby, they should be taking 30oz of milk across 24 hours - or 6 x 5oz bottles. Sounds to me like you are doing ok! I'd be more inclined to listen to your instinct xx

If he's draining every bottle, I'd say make his bottles six ounces and see if he finishes them.

My son is 17 weeks and has 6x6oz bottles a day at the moment. He was taking 7oz a time but has had problems with taking his milk recently. Try not to worry about how much he's having. Babies generally will only take what they need. I wouldn't worry about your LO's weight either. My son weighs 17lbs (he was 9lbs at birth tho!), so I'd say your son is a healthy weight.

I actually can't remember back that far... :/

Sound to me like everything's going fine though :)
What a dinky :D

For one that small not only to survive, but to be thriving, I'd say that's an enormous congratulations on your part. It's only with love, care and attention that he's doing so well.

As the other ladies have said, just up his oz and see if he takes it.
If not, I wouldn't worry.

Stick around here.
You'll soon find HVs are mostly scorned at and ignored :) xx

Thanks for ur advice girls. Yeah I'll start making him bigger bottles and just see what he does. I worry so much that I'm not doing the right thing but he is putting the weight on so not too bad. He's currently in up to one month clothes so we r going to air the most out of all of his different sizes!! He only managed to get into newborn stuff at 9 weeks old so everything is lasting us lots longer!! Before this he was in premature then tiny baby stuff!! And thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure without this forum I would literally drive myself insane! X

If he's steadily putting on weight then you are doing a fantastic job and shouldn't worry :)
As soon as my lo started to drain a bottle I always made an extra ounce in the next one and tried her with it. Normally she would drink most of it and I'd just start making all her bottles with the extra ounce.
They will gradually up their intake in this way until it sort of plateaus when they're a bit older.
Sounds like your doing a fab job to me, don't forget that he will always be on the small side because he was small at birth, so don't put too much pressure on yourself :)

Im having issues with Eliza she was 7 weeks prem now 10 weeks so 3 corrected and about 7 1/2lb sounds like your little mans doing well, they insisted Eliza had 120ml every 4 hours poor liitle one was having 20/30ml and falling asleep and vomiting due to reflux now shes back to her routine of 20/30ml eyery 2/3 hours turns out she has laryngomalacia so takes alot of energy and calories to feed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back