Hello Girls

Melanie1982

Reaction score
Hello Girls

So I thought it was about time I introduced myself!! I have been stalking this forum for months but never had the guts to actually post!!

My name is Mel, I am 29 years old and I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16, I was told that I was never going to have children and at the time I wasn't overly concerned because I was 16 I didn't really think about it.

However when I was 21 I fell pregnant out of the blue and had a beautiful son who is now 7 nearly 8...my BF at the time (who is now my husband) and I were shocked but also I was truely blessed.

In 2009 we decided we wanted our son to have a sibling and I had 5 x failed attempts at Clomid and in the end was offered hormone injections to induce ovulation, The NHS said they would fund 3 rounds and then we would have to self fund. I had one round which resulted in pregnancy but at 9 weeks it was diagnosed as an eptopic and I had to have the pregnancy removed along with one of my tubes :-( !!

We decided to go away and have a break my son was rushed to hospital he had to have heart surgery (Another story but all good now) and the pressure was too much, In my heart I knew that I had lost the baby for a reason, at that time my son needed me although as you can imagine I was truely devastated. My son recovered well and we got married.

I am now ready to try again on the injections, My Husband and I went to GP as we had to be referred again in October, I had my referral in December and we had to go through all the tests again i.e seman test, Hycosie and bloods. I came on the day after the appointment and luckily had them all completed by my follow up in January. The fertility clinic were brilliant and approved us the funding for 2 more rounds of injections. They advised I lose about 1 1/2 stone before I try to give me maxium chance...So far I have lost 6lbs, I still have a mountain to climb but.....I am scared. I am scared if they don't work now because I only have one tube, I am scared that I will have another eptopic. I am scared that if I have both rounds and they don't work I am going to have to self fund and I know that could cost thousands!!

I know I am truely blessed for the son that I have, He is my world and I know I am very lucky to have the opportunity to be a mum and I hope you do not mind me joining the lttc forum, I am unsure whether I belong here or not!!

Mel
xxx

Hiya Mel,

I just wanted to wish you all the best in TTC number two.

Sorry for the tough time you've been having x x x

hello welcome the girls in here are really nice and all really help full. wishing you lots of luck and hope you get that bfp very soon xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mel :wave:

I'd say you certainly do belong here after that epic journey!

Sorry for your troubles and your loss :hugs:

Glad your little boy is better. Lots of love and luck ttc number two xxxx

Hiya and welcome mel :wave:

Sorry about all the bad luck you've had fertility wise - i'm glad your lad is alright though :)

So you are on clomid plus a trigger shot or some other hormones? xx

Thanks Ladies

Hi LouiseB, The clomid did not work for me and so the injections they gave me before are called gonadotropins, they are suppose to be more concentrated than the clomid, I had to inject them for about 14 days whilst having a scan every 2 - 4 days, once the follicles grew to the right size I was given a trigger shot which made me ovulate. I was started on the lowest dose as like a test run but that dose seemed to be ok for me although the pregnancy turned out to be ectopic.

Oh so you're on IVF drugs? I didn't know they'd do that - pretty cool :)

They might as well let you have the full IVF, you're only short a couple of steps.

I have to take Menopur (gonadotropin) and then take Pregnyl to trigger, but i also take another injection to stop me actually ovulating. That is when i'm on a cycle anyway.

Sorry about the ectopic, but i suppose if you're having scans they can make sure that you have a follicle on the good side :)

I think I am near enough close to IVF but would have to fund that myself so I am hoping that this time it works, I am suppose to phone them when I get AF but I know they may query my weight so hoping to start in next 8 weeks if I can lose the weight, I have been givern metformin but it doesn't agree with me and I haven't taken it for a few days, I know I should try again as it may help me. I had Hycosie on 11th Jan and the day after had a AF which they said can happen sometimes. I do not know when I will come on again.
The Ectopic was bad but obviously not meant to be at that point in our lives but Hycosie shows my other tube is clear so there is hope yet :)

Why do you have to have an injection to stop you ovulating?

When i have IVF, i have to have an operation to collect the eggs and if i didn't have the drug to stop ovulation, i might realease them all before they get chance to collect them all :)

I'm on metformin at the moment too and it's a killer. I'm taking 3x 500mg tablets and i feel ok until i eat and then i get the worst heartburn ever - just a constant burning pain under my ribs. I even find it hard to drink because that can trigger it too...

There are some girls on a diet in ltttc too :) I've lost 11lbs since start of Jan so just want to lose another few lbs before my IVF starts again in a week.

What plan are you thinking of to shift the flab?

Last edited:
11lbs is fantastic! Well done you :)

I have joined the gym, I am really enjoying it at the moment, I am trying to lose the weight by reducing calories, I think I may start weight watchers but going to see how I go on my own first. Do you think the metformin helps you with the weight loss? I am only prescribed 2 x 500mg tablets per day but am struggling with one at the moment, going to give it another go tomorrow xx

Hi Melanie, welcome to PF! Lots of lovely ladies in here. Im awaiting ovulation induction or gandorphins injections but frustratling this has to be done in another hospital that I has a waiting list of 18 months minimum. Luckily I have got them to backdate my referral to last February as I have not ovulated since s mc on Feb 18th last year. If you dont mind me asking if its the NHS you are doing it through do you just get your shots in the normal fertility dr's? Im interested to know why here (Glasgow) I need to go elsewhere?

Hi laurat we were referred from GP to fertility clinic at local hospital - Southampton and there will went under fertility clinic, all my treatment will be there too and there seems to be no waiting list. Like I said I had my follow up in January and was told I could start them on my next cycle. We had bern to clinic previously and had clomid but once that had been proven to not work I then started the injections the following month. Have they said to you why you have to wait so long or given a reason why you have to go to a different clinic? Xx

Thanks Mel :)

I think the metformin is stopping me from pigging out definitely. My portions are smaller and i would actually rather not eat at all.

Although, i have been on a low carb diet and i ate some toast the other day and it was the best i'd felt ina a few days so now i'm tempted by bread all the time just to stop the heartburn.

I even had a slice of bread this morning and i'm worrying that i won't lose anymore weight now because of it :eh:

I was told to wean myself onto the metformin but it's not how i do things so just jumped right in with maximum dosage. Maybe you should do the same and your body will hopefully adjust quicker?

I enjoyed the gym at Gunwharf Quays - you probably know it? The one looking out onto the water? I tried a local one where i live now and it was rubbish in comparison and couldn't get into it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back