Heavy lifting?

KateK

Reaction score
Morning! Who was it that posted about getting up early?! I've been 5:50 on the dot all week.. Anyway, this is a bit of a strange one but I have a beautiful 4 year old (Poppy) who is very snuggly and likes to be carried all the time. Now she's not teeny (20kg) and i'm worried about lifting her. I know this sounds awful (I feel like a terrible mother even asking..) What exactly constitutes heavy lifting in early preg? I had anorexia as a teenager and am so conscious of hurting her feelings with comments like "you're too heavy now" as these are the kind of comments that manifested into my illness.. How do I tactfully tell my daughter I can't carry her anymore without her resenting the pregnancy?!

Well if its any consolation youre probably fine lifting her as long as its still practical to do so. Its not like years ago where they told you to not lift even a bag of sugar. If you are used to the load and lift it frequently then there are no real issues. Obviously if you are sore or its awkward then I wouldn't. I know people who have had loses and are extra cautious and thats fully understandable. This is taken from nhs website and is what midwives use...

Misconceptions about miscarriage

An increased risk of miscarriage is not linked to:
a mother's emotional state during pregnancy, such as being stressed or depressed
having a shock or fright during pregnancy
exercise during pregnancy – but discuss with your GP or midwife what type and amount of exercise is suitable for you during pregnancy
lifting or straining during pregnancy
working during pregnancy – or work that involves sitting or standing for long periods
having sex during pregnancy
travelling by air
eating spicy food

Hope this helps

The risk doesn't lie with the baby, the risk is injury to yourself as you are producing hormones to make your muscles and ligaments softer for stretching the uterus. Be aware of your posture and make sure you are using the correct techniques to lift her and you'll be fine.
If you want to start discouraging her from being lifted though as it will get more difficult for you as your pregnancy progresses, I agree that you're too heavy isn't the best way, you could tell her she's too old to be carried but never too old for cuddles and snuggles whilst sitting and make sure you set aside plenty of time for sitting with her when she's looking for it. If out and about and she wants carried you could still say she's too old but if she wants to stop for a sitting cuddle then you can find a bench or cafe for a 10 minute stop.
It'll be a bit hard on her to suddenly stop so just try to do it gradually and I think she'll soon realise when you get bigger that it's not so comfy anymore being carried when there's a baby in the way xx

If she understands there's a baby in your belly, I'd probably say you can't carry her and a baby at the same time. It's not a lie and it will get her used to when baby is here and you've got a pushchair etc.
Apparently the first thing I said to my dad when my brother was born was "can mommy lift me now?" !!

I was going to say the same thing, that she's too old rather than too big. Can you also make it positive by saying that now she is 4 & a quarter/half/3 quarters or whatever she is she now gets to do something special or gets a small treat or something so she associates it with something positive and extra rather than missing out?

Thanks all.. So much conflicting advice out there... They do adapt extraordinarily quickly, i'm never giving her enough credit for that - i'm sure she'll be just fine and just as satisfied with sit down snuggles :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back