Heart racing

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by EllieG, Jul 30, 2013.

1. EllieG

EllieG Well-Known Member

Hi all, I know I'm not the only one who suffers with this So wanted to ask your opinions! My heart has a habit of poundIng so fast, about 120 at rest up to 140+ when having an episode. When it happens it's all consuming. Mostly occurs in the morning but last night I went to sleep with it pounding and woke a couple of hours later with it still going. My chest kind of ached in the middle. it feels to me like it's getting worse. Midwife yesterday booked me a consultant appointment which will be on Monday, I just don't know if at any time I should just go and get checked out. Am worried its not good for the baby and worried its not good for my heart!
    I have also now lost 3 pounds since last week and have only gained 10 before that. Am I worrying needlessly? Sorry for the long post x

2. k8_005

k8_005 Well-Known Member

Weight wise people gain and fluctuate differently during pregnancy id go by mw and her advice (eg I have lost just over a stone since booking in but its not an issue for me as I was v overweight to start with) the heart issues see what consultant says iv no experiance of this but wanted to send a hug does deep breathing help at all?

3. Sunshine_state

Sunshine_state Well-Known Member

Hiya

I'm getting the same problem. Can happen 3-4 times a day and can last fww seconds or hrs. I went to the gp about it and had blood test which i'm waiting for results..Also had an ecg results were my pulse was racing. Gp doesn't know why it's happening or why i'm getting lighththeaded and clamy at the same time but have been prescribed beta blockers to try and control it. Only just started taking them though, so no results yet.

Hope u feeling better soon. It's a dreadful feeling xx

4. EllieG

EllieG Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies for your good wishes, my oh works nights and when it happened last night I was really scared, it is a horrible feeling and you worry for baby :( sorry to hear you are going through it sunshine. K8- I was also overweight my bmi was 34, I didn't loose any weight initially but had only put on 10lb, I find it odd and a bit worrying that I have lost 3 lb this last week- wondered if it was cOnnected to my heart.
    Thanks again for reading x

5. Tigger87

Tigger87 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought the weight was connected to your heart. If your midwife has referred you, the cardiologists will be far better placed than a gp to give advice so I'd hold out for that if the appt is soon.

I got told that there's two types of fast heart rate, mine shoots up to about 140/150 when I'm doing stuff (like climbing stairs?!) but apparently it's "sinus tachycardia" which is just a normal heart rate but fast and they've told me not to worry (just try to rest and avoid it getting higher). I get another kind of fast heart rate, called "super ventricular tachycardia" which is usually above 170 and I've been told if that goes on for more than an hour I have to attend a&e for them to slow it with beta blockers etc (even though from past experience that doesn't work!).

Obviously my medical history/conditions could be totally unrelated, I just thought I'd share what I know. If I do too much I get some really unpleasant side effects of dizziness, faintness, extreme breathlessness etc, but since I've stopped walking 2 flights of stairs every day and limited my activity, I feel a million times better when I do have to do more "strenuous" stuff!! Xx