Heart Palpitations

flexilexi394

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I wondered if it is normal to get heart palpitations?

I only started ever getting them a few years ago, long story short I took a massive overdose in a suicide attempt (I am sane now lol) and since then I get them sometimes.

But lately in this pregnancy I get them like all the time at random times too.

I am partly wondering if the overdose has actually caused damage to my heart causing them... but they are really uncomfortable and I don't know whether to ask about them or not.

I don't get anxious very often either, so not thinking its related to anxiety, but of course if I get anxious they are through the roof!

Any advice greatly appreciated xx

Hi, this happened to me on my last pregnancy. I worried it was high blood pressure or something but that always came back find. MW advised heart rate is increased due to the increase in blood flow so fluttering & palpitations can often be experienced.

Pre-pregnancy (I am presuming the caffeine has been cut out or down) if you drink alot of tea & coffee. I was advised by my CBT Therapist that caffeine is actually an anxiety trigger which forces the heart to beat faster as it is a stimulant. Do you have alot of caffinated drinks?

Here's a link to put mind at rest :) xx

http://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/heart-palpitations

Last edited:
Thank you so much Keely that is great! I will have a read now! xx

Thank you so much Keely that is great! I will have a read now! xx
You're welcome, just added a little extra in my first post too. Something to consider xx

Ah yes.

I drink both Decaff coffee and tea so don't think it is anything to do with that, I don't eat much chocolate either (I have heard that has caffiene in it) so don't think it is anything to do with diet to be honest but I could double check to be sure I am not having too much of a caffiene intake! xx

I have had them for the last month or so.
I found it really scary and had bad asthma too so one day when I was really bad I went to urgent care to get seen. Sent me to A and E who did ECG and was normal so sent me on my way and then arranged for a 24 hours monitor to be put on me.
Worth going to doctors, although midwife said it can happen in pregnancy and in the way that you describe yours. A and E doctor had no clue about this (reassuring!) and neither did I at the time, but I would get it checked out just in case lovely.
Feels really scary doesn't it? Hope it stops soon. Mine seems to have calmed down but still there. My husband says he thinks it's my anxiety but I am not so sure. It wasn't seeming to match up. Xx
Xxxxxxx

I have had them for the last month or so.
I found it really scary and had bad asthma too so one day when I was really bad I went to urgent care to get seen. Sent me to A and E who did ECG and was normal so sent me on my way and then arranged for a 24 hours monitor to be put on me.
Worth going to doctors, although midwife said it can happen in pregnancy and in the way that you describe yours. A and E doctor had no clue about this (reassuring!) and neither did I at the time, but I would get it checked out just in case lovely.
Feels really scary doesn't it? Hope it stops soon. Mine seems to have calmed down but still there. My husband says he thinks it's my anxiety but I am not so sure. It wasn't seeming to match up. Xx
Xxxxxxx

Thank you for another confirmation of me not going mad! Lol, I also have very sensitive asthma and for some reason this pregnancy seems to be making it worse despite the steroid inhalers. I need my asthma investigated I think because I am on seretide 250 and have been for 3 years which is a bit strong really for there to be no improvement in my asthma, I use my blue inhaler every day still and get wheezy which winds me up!

So that mixed with my heart doing this is a bit worrying, I do actually have the midwife on Weds for my 24 week appointment so it is the first thing I will be asking her and seeking advice for xx

I think we may be asthma twins! Exactly the same here.
Asthma worse plus heart palpitations and Seretide dose the same! Blue inhaler using far too much!
Hope you get it sorted. Last thing we need whilst growing a human being at the same time ��

I think we may be asthma twins! Exactly the same here.
Asthma worse plus heart palpitations and Seretide dose the same! Blue inhaler using far too much!
Hope you get it sorted. Last thing we need whilst growing a human being at the same time ��

Hmm I don't think its good that we are on such a high dose of seretide, it isn't good for your body to be on steroids for long periods of time... I have heard bad things. If you start getting tingling in fingers and toes that is nerve damage from steroids! I will be talking to my doctor about this once baby has arrived xxxx

I had them too, still do now had it investigated nothing found

Hmm it's weird ... I got them sometimes when not pregnant but mainly as a symptom of anxiety but not as often as this. So I'll speak to midwife chances are she will just tell me it is normal xx

Sorry, only flicked through the replies so hope I don't repeat anything, but I had these in my last pregnancy and they've started again with this one.

I told midwife last time and she wasn't worried as I didn't have any breathlessness or dizzyness or anything and bp was fine. It is just a symptom unfortunately as your body is working overtime.

Worth mentioning to mw though, just so she can check x

I had these prior to pregnancy and had an ECG done at the doctors as started taking a low dose anti depressant for anxiety. They didn't find anything wrong with me and i still get them now occasionally, im sure its nothing to worry about xxx

I spoke to my midwife yesterday and she said that it is quite normal to get them. She said do they take my breath away or really hurt and I said not really they're just intense palpitations and she just said keep an eye but if they get more frequent or painful and make me breathless I should contact someone. Xx

I have been getting them too and it turns out my iron has dropped and I'm borderline anemic. For me it's connected to that. I have been taking a pregnancy multivitamin with iron in but not keeping it up enough. So I'm going to start prescribed iron. X

I've had them today too. Just checked had my BP checked and pulse by my Mum and it's fine. Hopefully it's just body working hard to make baby grow :) xx

Yeah I hope that's all it is... I had them this morning but they've gone now so that's alright ... I'm gonna monitor it though just in case it is something to worry about.

I was very borderline anaemic on my first bloods so actually I'm surprised my midwife hasn't checked this again to be honest because I could well be a little more anaemic now the pregnancy has progressed xx

I get heart palpitations every time I'm pregnant. Every time. Like every day. Midwives are never concerned and my levels are all good. They are so uncomfortable though!

I get heart palpitations every time I'm pregnant. Every time. Like every day. Midwives are never concerned and my levels are all good. They are so uncomfortable though!

Thank you, I think I did last time, I can't really remember to be honest but I do know they are worse after I wasn't mentally well! This is the outcome of that I am sure... Annoying symptom isn't it! x

Late reply(!) Such an annoying symptom!
I think mine have calmed down.... Touch wood!
I think 250 two puffs twice a day is too much also, but without it, I got worse.
My uncle, who is GO, says that there is another medicine which is better in pregnancy and also more effective. Begins with F. Will try to find out. Might ask to swap if getting no better.
Interestingly have been referred to a cardiac unit on Wednesday so I can be monitored after a and e visit.
Will see what happens, I guess.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back