Heart murmur

Princess81

Reaction score
It seems my boy has a heart murmur :( anyone else's lo's had this? He has to see the paediatrician again next month and if they are still concerned he'll be referred to a cardiologist :cry: my poor wee man :(

Noooo, you must be really worried. I remember going to a talk on anaesthetics before I gave birth and a few girls said they had heart mumurs and the dr said it was no obstacle to giving birth naturally so I guess it must be quite common.
Poor little man though (and poor mummy).

I feel so bad for him. He was hooked up on a trace and getting blood pressure and oxygen levels etc checked, all of which seemed ok. Also the fact that he's growing well and feeding well is all encouraging. He was good as gold today though, didn't cry at all even though he was stripped down twice and poked and prodded for an hour, all whilst a feed was due. I was so proud of him :cloud9:

Is it a hole or an irregular beat? I was born with a hole in my heart (murmour) it wasn't serious enough for an operation but I had to be excused from PE alot during school as I am not allowed to do certain things like cardio, well, I am allowed but it has to be supervised & done in certain stages, as my heart isn't as strong as normal b'coz of it. To be honest its caused me no probs at all untill my pregnancy when they thought my heart wasn't pumping blood properly to baby. But a few months after birth, went for regular check & it had cleared up, no hole anymore!

Its actually more common than you think, when I speak to ppl about it I normally get a response of...I had that, or my sister had that ect.

:)

Thanks Hun, that's good to know. Its an irregular beat tho she referred to it as murmur :-/

Yeah a murmour is either a hole or irregular beat - it does sound like one of those things thats very scary but try not to worry too much - its not as bad as it sounds!!

:hugs:

Ah poor thing. It does seem quite common though so will hopefully sort itself out and cause him no problems x

Thanks girls :petal: paediatrician is hopeful that he will grow out of it. It made me feel guilty, like I didn't cook him properly :(

Hi hun, my eldest daughter had one but after regular checks it left within 6/8 months :) They told me that sometimes the heart valve doesn't close properly, espeically if they're born a little early. My little man who was born 3 months early also had one but it closed over too :) Most are innocent even if they remain. I have one which has never caused me any bother but I remember the panic I felt when I realised the kids had theirs :( :hug:

Hey Jayne :wave:

Sorry to hear you've had a scare. Just to echo what the other ladies have said. It is surprisingly common and babies can grow out of them. It's good that it's been picked up now and monitored. As long as he's happy, eating well and putting on weight then you are doing a good job. :hug:

Thanks for the replies everyone :)
I'm not panicking too much just yet, I think she's hoping it will have disappeared by the time he goes back next month :pray: xx

My 7 y/o brother had one at birth and he's grown out of it :)

Hope you and your little family are ok bar that!

All going ok now bar that thanks pinky. Colic calming down now thankfully although he still has reflux :(
How are you doing with baby Tyler? :)

J had a murmur he had ecgs and scans and everything but they said they are so common that they didnt bother rechecking. Dotnt worry hun. My mum has one and shes good.....big hugs x x x

Just seen this thread princess :hug: hope you're ok. Xx

I had a heart murmur and it 'fixed' itself when I was around 2. It never hindered me in doing things. Hope he's ok.

Only just seen this Hun, Tegan was born with a heart murmour but by 6 months it was gone, they said it was due to the valves not closing up when she was born, hope little cameron's ok xx

It does worry me when he cries I think he'll end up giving himself a heart attack which is a stupid way of thinking :doh:
His next appointment date came through today, the last time I was there I told them that the only date I couldn't do was 15th February. Guess what date they gave me?? :wall: anyhoo I phoned and they are changing it to 22nd.
Praying its improved by then. Can't help feeling he'd have benefited a lot from a few extra weeks cooking :eh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back