Healthy Start & Child Benefit

Rachel1509

Reaction score
I'm in employment (25hrs a week) and just waiting for my Maternity Allowance claim to be processed as my ML has now began. OH was made redundant just before Christmas and put in a claim to the Job centre straight away, waited ages for a payment but got nothing, so he rang them after 3 weeks to be told he wasn't entitled to anything whatsoever and that my maternity payments are meant to cover him too! This has left us both absolutely fuming obviously as it's only £128 a week (which I haven't even started getting yet!).

Thing I want to know is, does anyone know if we'll be entitled to Healthy Start even though we aren't claiming any benefits at all? MW gave us the form to fill out for it, but it seems to focus on what benefits you get and that determines if you are entitled, but because OH can't claim anything, we probably look like we aren't entitled to anything on paper. Any ideas?

And another thing, when can you start your claim for Child Benefit? Do you have to wait until LO is born? I know payment doesn't begin til baby is here, but can you process it beforehand?

Last edited:
Have u applied for tax credits? x

As long as your oh hasn't stopped his job seekers claim it will still stand although they won't pay any money. He's still entitled to get his nation insurance credits towards his state pension and will still do the fortnightly meeting at the job centre.
Then you should still get the grant I think......sorry I know job seekers more than the grant

Also if he has worked constantly for the past couple of years get him to claim contribution based jsa only as then he'll get £67ish per week and they don't care what your getting

He's been in employment since the tax year began, but ended up on SSP for majority of 2011, so the job centre have said he hasn't contributed enough to receive contribution based and therefore can't have anything.

I have no idea about tax credits and don't know what they are, how you get them, if I'm entitled etc?

He's been in employment since the tax year began, but ended up on SSP for majority of 2011, so the job centre have said he hasn't contributed enough to receive contribution based and therefore can't have anything.

I have no idea about tax credits and don't know what they are, how you get them, if I'm entitled etc?

He can still get his 'stamp' paid as long as he keeps his claim live. If he doesnt keep his jsa claim going & worst case doesnt work this year he'll have a shortfall in his pension & may affect any benefit claim made next year or two

I'd give HMRC a call about tax credits, but get into local authority about council tax benefit & housing benefit, you might get some help there x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back