Health Visitor Has Got Me Worried

felixmycat

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m a first time mum and my baby is 3 Weeks old. After being discharged from hospital, the community midwives came round for the first 6 or so days and they were great. Baby is doing great, is feeding well and steadily gaining weight. The health visitor came round and introduced herself to myself and partner, asked lots of questions and weighed baby - no problems. She said she’d be back the following week but didn’t give a time. That morning, I managed to sleep when my baby slept as I was exhausted and I ended up not hearing the health visitor knock my door. I was told by my neighbour that she was at my door 6 times, banging loudly and shouting. She had also knocked on neighbours doors asking if they knew where I was.

She came back the next day and i mentioned I wasn’t happy with her going to my neighbours doors. She told me that it is her duty to call the police and report my baby as a missing person if she doesn’t get an answer at my door. This has frightened me and I’m so worried in case I fall asleep and miss her again. Does anyone know if this is definitely protocol? I can understand that she might have been worried but I’ve now got myself worked up in case I don’t hear the door and the police put a search party out.

Thanks in advance

I’m in Australia so don’t know what protocol is in the UK but that sounds wrong. What if you’ve gone to the shops or something? I’d ring them up and ask if that’s right because it really sounds dodgy.

I agree, I'm also not in the UK but you aren't a prisoner in your own home. You could have gone out for any number of reasons. I think you should call up too. If she didn't give you a time you can hardly be expected to have waited in for her for a whole week.

Also after a quick Google it looks like you can phone up and ask for a different health visitor is you feel you don't get on with this one, you may be able to opt out entirely and take baby to gp for checkups but this isn't so clear from an initial googling. Maybe someone else here will know more.

Last edited:
I think the health visitor has totally over reacted and scared you for nothing, as other people have said she didn’t even give you a time to be in and you could have popped out for any reason, I would see what the complaints procedure is, it’s totally unprofessional of her to be banging on the door and knocking at neighbours too x

I would speak to the people in charge and ask for a new health visitor.
The fact of the matter is she by basically threatening you with the police she has completely ruined the relationship between the two of you. Health visitors are there to support you, they should be someone you can turn to if you do need help or advice, I can hardly see you feeling confident approaching her now if you were worried about anything.

She was totally in the wrong going off like that.
Also why didn't she give you a time, I've not heard of that before from a health visitor. I've always had timed appointment at home apart from the midwife x

Wow this is absolutely shocking. What she said is absolute bulls*** ... if I was you I'd be ringing her office and making a formal complaint and asking for a new HV. How dare she make a new mum feel like that!! Hope you're ok hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back