Healing

Peggy

Reaction score
Hello, I gave birth to my son nearly 4 weeks ago (my first) I had a great water birth with no pain relief and I was surprised when the midwife told me that I only had a first degree tear and I didn't require any stitches - anyway I noticed over the weekend that I same to still have a noticable tear, does anybody have any experience of this? I'm worried I'm not healing properly and perhaps I did need stitches? I know I'm only 4 weeks postpartum and maybe I'm being a little inpatient but I'm worried this might affect me long term - I don't have any leaking at the moment and no discomfort and I am doing my pelvic floor exercises. Should I make an appointment with GP or wait until my 6 week check?

Any advise would be much appreciated X

Where and how have you noticed the tear? I had a 1st degree tear with my first and 2nd degree tear with my second. The second degree tear was more painful in recovery and I still get twinges almost 8 weeks on but with my first degree tear i felt absolutely nothing at any point as it was just a graze.

Hey, thanks for getting back. The tear is on my perineum, I had a look with a mirror as I've been feeling quite heavy down there. I'll do my pelvic floors and speak to my GP at my 6 week check - I just got a bit of a fright when I seen it as it looks like a couple of stitches would have done the job X

Gosh I don't know then. I agree with speaking to your GP - I think first degree tears can be tricky for mws to be sure of, both times my mws had to have a proper inspection to be sure of what degree it was.

I had a small tear and had stiches but they tore out so the tear healed without them. It is less noticable now than in the 1st weeks after but will always be there. It hasn't caused me any problems. I didn't tear with my second even though he was 11lbs! The MW said that my original tear probably helped make room :). I'm afraid once it starts healing there isn't really anything that can be done. If it bothers you enough the only thing is to get it reconstructed by re-cutting and stitching it. It sounds like it is only cosmetic though and won't cause you any other issues.

That's reassuring that it's not caused you any long term problems, I don't really mind about the cosmetic issue - I was worried about incontinence, our sex life (not that I'm anywhere near thinking about that lol) and having further children. Thank you X

I think a tear could only cause those kinds of prolems if it involed the muscles. It doesn't sound like yours was that deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back