Head starting to engage?

Full of hope!

Reaction score
Hey ladies, for the last two days i've had a heavy aching feeling under my bump in my pelvic area with some period pains too.

At my last MW appointment (34+2) the baby was head down but free. Do you think these pains could be the baby's head going down into my pelvis?

My bump doesn't seem to have dropped any but I hope it will soon.... I need a bit of space in my chest!

Next MW appintment is at 37 weeks so another week to go yet :?

ive got same problem hun, its getting so heavy down there, I feel as though I wanna keep lifting it up

Yeah its more than likely head beginning to engage or pressing on your pelvis causing the extra pressure :)

Yeah, that's what i'm like! Has your baby's head started to engage yet do you know?

Hiya hun... well my pelvic area began to feel achy last week and yeah it does feel like period cramps down there. Everything was alot heavier too when standing up or walking around. Then mw confirmed at next app that head was in pelvis so its very likely this has happened to you too. x

I saw the midwife yesterday who confirmed the head is 3/5ths engaged. :cheer:
She asked if i was feeling alot of pressure. Also i get like shooting pains and pressure down below.
Im not sure what period cramps are like tho as ive never had any :?

I'm meant to be 2/5 engaged. I wonder if 5/5 means labour is imminent does anyone know?

im confused about this also..

2 week ago i got told she is 2/5 engaged
then last week they said 4/5.
and today she said she is fully engaged... so no idea :think:

Apparently every midwife does it different...just to confuse us more. :lol:

Thanks for the replies ladies :)

I really do hope my baby's head has started to engage, will find out next week when I see the MW!

My understanding of the whole thing is that when the baby's head is 5/5 engaged, that's it... he or she is in the right position for birth and wont come back up out of the pelvis. So I guess if your ready to go Kim :cheer: I could be wrong mind! :oops:

its actually the other way around... i stole this from a website:

If 5 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as 5/5 palpable or 'unengaged'.

If 4 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '4/5' palpable or 1/5 engaged.

If 3 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '2/5' palpable or 2/5 engaged.

If 2 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '2/5' palpable or 3/5 engaged.

If 1 finger width of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '1/5' palpable or 4/5 engaged.

If your baby's head cannot be felt it is written as 'fully engaged' or 'not palpable'.

:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back