Head engaging

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by kellie80, Nov 10, 2005.

1. kellie80

kellie80 Well-Known Member

I have been for a check up today and the midwife has wrote 2/5 on my notes. Does this mean 2/5 of babys head are in my pelvis or that she can only feel 2/5 of babys head? I'm a bit confused!

2. Ragna

Ragna Well-Known Member

Hiya hun

It means your baby is 2 fifths of the way to being fully engaged. When baby is 5/5 that means its right down ready to be born, but this can happen weeks before with your first. With subsequent babies, they quite often dont engage until you go into labour cos your muscles are already stretched from other pregnancies.

Hope this helps
    Ragna xxxx

3. littlebump

littlebump Well-Known Member

but check with your midwife - you could be further along than you think, as my midwife recorded 2/5 when she could FEEL 2/5 of baby's head (i.e. 3/5 of head was below the brim) - by her method, 0/5 is fully engaged!!! Seems it depends totally on your midwife - all very confusing.....!

LBxx

4. kellie80

kellie80 Well-Known Member

Thanks girls, I will have to ask her on Monday, feels like shes dropped even further down today though! Must be all that walking I'm doing.