He said no OPKs!

MrsLaw

Reaction score
Last night my OH said I shouldn't use OPKs this month. He wants to get pregnant 'naturally and see what happens'.... Does this even make sense!!

I told him using OPKs are helpful but no. And I was annoyed because I already bought a pack at the start of the month. Last month if I didn't use OPKs I wouldn't have thought I Ov'd because I didn't really notice any ewcm...

I guess I can do without the OPKs this time round... But What other signs can I look out for???

Sorry to hear that. Maybe he's feeling the pressure.
As much as I think it's wrong to do things behind OH's back could you not OPK without him knowing?
Puts your mind at rest and takes the pressure off him to 'perform' x

My husband suggested this once as he could see I was putting myself under pressure and stressing over my opks but I genuinely couldn't see it and still don't think I was but subconsciously we must be? Maybe that's his line of thought. Men just don't get ovulation like we do and the NEED to test and have some idea when we ovulate. It cant hurt to try a month opk free? Having sex every other day leading upto and over your guessed ovulation period, however rough that is, is still great xx

I see what so obsessed is saying totally, and I'm sure if he found out then you'd just get an eye roll, but could kill the mood if he found out and then there would be no sex at all. Maybe just agree to this month opk free but if it isn't the one then next month you will use them again. Xx

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry! The month I didn't use OPKS I got pregnant as I wasn't thinking about it. I don't tell my OH what I do as he wouldn't even now what OPKS are lol, the only thing we needed to agree on is that we were TTC.

I don't get much EcWm either but I roughly worked out when I thought I would ovualte and just based it around that and I just DTD every other night!

OPKS can cause more stress at times, give it a go one month. Then next month if you don't get your BFP tell him that you will use them every other cycle or somthing.

I tried to take this month off OPKs but I might have just done one... and it was positive so didn't need to do any more!

The signs are probably quite different for everyone...
but personally I will get a really bad migraine on the day I get a positive OPK (which is why I knew when to test lol).
I also get nosebleeds for 2-3 days before positive OPK.

Maybe try just for this month to take the month off from opks, like others here said maybe you will feel less stressed and it will just happen! :)

I used OPK's cycles 1, 2 and 3, came off them for Cycle 4 and got pregnant.

I was doing SMEP though, so DTDing every 2 days, and every day over fertile period - which was a guess.

I get EWCM a few days before OV and OV pains. Your CM should dry right up when you OV too.

Good luck.

xxxx

Sorry you are going through this. You can still use opks just don't discuss that with your man.

I usually dont leave fertility gels and PG tests in the bathroom on display. Some men don't really like talking about it.

Its sad. What what can we do. Stay strong x

Last edited:
You know, I was just thinking that I'm not going to use OPKs this month as I feel it does put more pressure on me and OH. I felt like by using OPKs it keeps my mind focussed on TTC but last month I really stressed myself out as TTC was all consuming and I drove myself crazy. I'm currently CD5 and have promised myself and OH that this month I will still track symptoms but not use OPKs, track CM etc. We are just going to DTD every 2-3 days and do a pregnancy test when I'm due, if AF doesn't get me first.

The trouble with looking for other signs is that they can quite easily be transferred between pregnancy or just general cycle stuff. Don't stress yourself out by guessing that those sore nips are a BFP when in fact it just means that your hormone levels are slightly different this month and AF arrives anyway.

I felt not knowing at all when I OVd was a bit annoying but with smep we wete covered and it worked.

I think if u dont opk u need to really not test early if you can, i only tested early cos i got IB. but was planning on waitin until af missed.

xxxx

I used to think, "I NEED to know when I'm OV-ing" thinking that was my best possible chance for conceiving etc and for the last two cycles all over my fertile period I've been testing (actually I've been testing for a few months now), and it just goes to show that it can mean something or nothing.

Maybe the more relaxed approach will help, and if it doesn't, a month off testing might not be a bad thing :)

I'm still testing this month and trying SMEP but may well go no OPK's next month if we're still trying xx

We have ICs, we missed out using them one month and made sure to BD at least every other day. They only tell you when you are likely to be close to OV which can mean day of positive OPK or 3 days later. As long as you Bd regularly it shouldn't affect your chances and if hubby feels too under pressure if you OPK and he can't 'perform' then your chances are much lower. Also there's a strong Chinese folklore that I think says feeling close to your partner gives you a better chance of conception. It will certainly feel less mechanical if you are doing it regularly and enjoying each other's company. Then again I only OV every 2-3 months so although we use them they are often redundant for us and everyone is different.

Last edited:
Glad to know I'm not alone!

I think I will give it a go... If it means I put less pressure on him then I will try it. I'll try to bed every other day as you lovelies have suggested and hopefully I'll be as lucky as some of you to get pregnant this month!! :dust:

Lol I would try to do OPKs behind his back but he's too insightful and sneaky -.- and he would catch me out so easily! I bought conceive plus aswell so going to try that!

Unless you have irregular cycles, you could just try 14 or so days (and the days around that) before your period is due. I used period tracker and it kept me informed. Easy to do without partner and just naturally dtd around this time...
Not trying to say you should be sneaky, but it's just another thought. Xx

I would still use them anyway,and I would not let him know I am using them, I am aware this might be sneaky..but it is your body and he is not affected by you using them. He does not have to know.

Lol I think he's coming round to the idea now :cheer: but he's still in two minds about it. I told him it's not a big deal and that he should go and google it haha

I did one today anyway! Couldn't help myself... Was negative though. I'm CD11 and usually get a pos around CD16/17

he probably feels pressured and wants you to have sex with him when you feel like it not because an opk tells you to :) mine is like that as well!

I have learned that I ovulate around cd18 and I start feeling my cervix and watching out for stuff at cd15 .. I notice egg white cm or very watery discharge almost like I peed my pants a bit around those days.. then my cervix drops down a bit and opens .. that's the time that if I feel like it I try to amp up the sex .. but he doesn't know I check .. I just feel like I have to :') i'm curious

he probably feels pressured and wants you to have sex with him when you feel like it not because an opk tells you to :) mine is like that as well!

I have learned that I ovulate around cd18 and I start feeling my cervix and watching out for stuff at cd15 .. I notice egg white cm or very watery discharge almost like I peed my pants a bit around those days.. then my cervix drops down a bit and opens .. that's the time that if I feel like it I try to amp up the sex .. but he doesn't know I check .. I just feel like I have to :') i'm curious

Yeah he said he feels pressured on and off, because he's so eager to be a dad. He just wants to bed whenever rather than just because the pee stick says so.

I can see a slight difference in CM but never understood cervix checking, all this high low firm stuff. Last month I felt around and just felt a hole Lool! Not my strongest talent

High open hard to reach is fertile with the right cm, after cm changes so it's not as feasible for the sperm to pass. Cervix tends to drop low and open, soften when af comes. When I was pg cervix stayed high during af due and felt soft but closed tight. You could do opk and not tell him so you've got a bit of an idea, I never told my oh I did and told him when I was pg when digi confirmed it so he didn't have to do any line guessing lol x

High open hard to reach is fertile with the right cm, after cm changes so it's not as feasible for the sperm to pass. Cervix tends to drop low and open, soften when af comes. When I was pg cervix stayed high during af due and felt soft but closed tight. You could do opk and not tell him so you've got a bit of an idea, I never told my oh I did and told him when I was pg when digi confirmed it so he didn't have to do any line guessing lol x

Lol, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back