Hayfever sufferers

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by MrsCK, Jun 26, 2013.

1. MrsCK

MrsCK Well-Known Member

is there anything I can take to ease my Hayfever??

I suffer quite bad and usually get prescriptions from the doctor but I can't take them when pregnant. does anybody know any safe over the counter medication to ease my ssuffering?

2. SpinSugar

SpinSugar Well-Known Member

Generally, antihistamines are safe in tri 1 & 2. however, at such an early stage, I would get your Drs advice on this xx

3. C0606

C0606 Well-Known Member

I suffer badly too and have been driven mad over the last few weeks although I did see an advert for a sort of nasal block which you rub outside of your nostrils and such which is meant to completely take the edge off and it's fine to take whatever stage of the pregnancy.

4. MrsCK

MrsCK Well-Known Member

I've got an appointment at the doctors but not until next week :mad: not sure how I'm going to get through the weekend as the pollen count is high. I've woken up this morning with a headach, blocked nose and swollen throat and feeling very sorry for myself.

I'll try and find that nasal rub in the pharmacy.

thanks

5. Libbygrace

Libbygrace Well-Known Member

The doctor prescribed mr one of those sprays I think it called beconase but if you ask a pharmacist they may be able to advise you what is safe xx

6. Shell99

Shell99 Well-Known Member

My gp specifically said no antihistamines are safe in pregnancy so avoid! She said basically they work by kinda thinning everything out which is a no no for all things pregnancy related.

I'm staying In while I can lol!

My OH bought me flowers- with my increased sense of smell, smell lovely! But with hayfever are kinda driving me mad lol

7. Toria111

Toria111 Well-Known Member

I've get severe hayfever, and take a daily antihistamine between feb and nov. I usually take fexofenadine, but when I found out I was pregnant, they swapped my on to Loratadine. Apparently the manufacturers say its not suitable during pregnancy, but that's to cover there own backs.

8. MrsCK

MrsCK Well-Known Member

well i just spoke to boots pharmacy and then double checked with my doctor and the only thing they both say is suitable for pregnancy is 'Prevalin Allergy Nasal Spray' or 'Hay Max organic pollen barrier balm', so i got both!!

9. MrsHop

MrsHop Well-Known Member

Local honey! Two spoonfuls a day and within a few weeks you'll be fine!

Your body builds up a natural immunity to the pollen from the honey. I've done it for years and it really works! I take it off a spoon but putting it in tea etc is just as good

10. AmyQ

AmyQ Well-Known Member

I've been trying alternative remedies for years and have yet to find something that works. I was on fexofenadine before I got pregnant and can't take it as I'm bf. Not fun :(