Hayfever in Pregnancy

Flash2510

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anybody had any experience with hayfever whilst pregnant?

I'm 18 wks and suffering badly. My Hayfever literally puts a stopper in my summer every year if not controlled by medication it's so bad.

I know you can be prescribed if necessary but I really don't want to put baby at risk as even those deemed as 'safe' have little or no medical research available.

any help or advice appreciated xx

I read about a nasal spray that's good. Can't remember what it was called. Think it may have been in Holland and Barrett which is safe for pregnant women. Will see if I can find name of it.

I've switched to boots allergy barrier nasal spray. I received a voucher as part of the parenting club and its safe to use while pg and breastfeeding. Its currently £4.50 for 800mg and can be used 3-4 a day.

Piriton is said to be safe in pregnancy as long as its not taken close to the due date. I do tend to use this as its the only one which helps me even a little so at least that should be ok for when I am pregnant

Piriton is said to be safe in pregnancy as long as its not taken close to the due date. I do tend to use this as its the only one which helps me even a little so at least that should be ok for when I am pregnant

I've done a little research on this one, it contains clorphenamine came across this which made me uneasy:

There is no currently no evidence that chlorphenamine is harmful to a baby in the womb. However because only a small number of pregnant women taking chlorphenamine have been studied, it is not possible to say for certain that it does not affect a baby in some way.

• One study suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine or a related antihistamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with spina bifida (an opening of the spine), but another study was unable to confirm this finding.
• One study suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine or another similar antihistamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with a cleft lip and/or palate (a split in the lip and/or the roof of the mouth), but another study found no proof of a link.
• One study from many years ago suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with an inguinal hernia (an opening or ‘tunnel’ in the groin muscles that may appear as a lump under the skin if part of the bowel bulges through). This however, was based upon small numbers of chlorphenamine-exposed babies and it is therefore not possible to say that there is a link based on only one study.

I've done a little research on this one, it contains clorphenamine came across this which made me uneasy:

There is no currently no evidence that chlorphenamine is harmful to a baby in the womb. However because only a small number of pregnant women taking chlorphenamine have been studied, it is not possible to say for certain that it does not affect a baby in some way.

• One study suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine or a related antihistamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with spina bifida (an opening of the spine), but another study was unable to confirm this finding.
• One study suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine or another similar antihistamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with a cleft lip and/or palate (a split in the lip and/or the roof of the mouth), but another study found no proof of a link.
• One study from many years ago suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with an inguinal hernia (an opening or ‘tunnel’ in the groin muscles that may appear as a lump under the skin if part of the bowel bulges through). This however, was based upon small numbers of chlorphenamine-exposed babies and it is therefore not possible to say that there is a link based on only one study.

This does not sound good at all! Here I was hoping it would be ok

I too suffer from terrible hay fever. I used Prevalin allergy nasal spray & found that that, along with eye drops if I was really suffering but didnt use those very often, was enough to keep it under control x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back