Hayfever in Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Flash2510, May 6, 2016.

1. Flash2510

Flash2510 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Has anybody had any experience with hayfever whilst pregnant?

I'm 18 wks and suffering badly. My Hayfever literally puts a stopper in my summer every year if not controlled by medication it's so bad.

I know you can be prescribed if necessary but I really don't want to put baby at risk as even those deemed as 'safe' have little or no medical research available.

any help or advice appreciated xx

2. Debh09

Debh09 Active Member

I read about a nasal spray that's good. Can't remember what it was called. Think it may have been in Holland and Barrett which is safe for pregnant women. Will see if I can find name of it.

3. Alrm198

Alrm198 Well-Known Member

I've switched to boots allergy barrier nasal spray. I received a voucher as part of the parenting club and its safe to use while pg and breastfeeding. Its currently £4.50 for 800mg and can be used 3-4 a day.

4. Sparklegirl

Sparklegirl Well-Known Member

Piriton is said to be safe in pregnancy as long as its not taken close to the due date. I do tend to use this as its the only one which helps me even a little so at least that should be ok for when I am pregnant

5. Flash2510

Flash2510 Well-Known Member

I've done a little research on this one, it contains clorphenamine came across this which made me uneasy:

There is no currently no evidence that chlorphenamine is harmful to a baby in the womb. However because only a small number of pregnant women taking chlorphenamine have been studied, it is not possible to say for certain that it does not affect a baby in some way.

• One study suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine or a related antihistamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with spina bifida (an opening of the spine), but another study was unable to confirm this finding.
    • One study suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine or another similar antihistamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with a cleft lip and/or palate (a split in the lip and/or the roof of the mouth), but another study found no proof of a link.
    • One study from many years ago suggested a possible link between taking chlorphenamine in early pregnancy and having a baby with an inguinal hernia (an opening or ‘tunnel’ in the groin muscles that may appear as a lump under the skin if part of the bowel bulges through). This however, was based upon small numbers of chlorphenamine-exposed babies and it is therefore not possible to say that there is a link based on only one study.

6. Sparklegirl

Sparklegirl Well-Known Member

This does not sound good at all! Here I was hoping it would be ok

7. Glitter2707

Glitter2707 Well-Known Member

I too suffer from terrible hay fever. I used Prevalin allergy nasal spray & found that that, along with eye drops if I was really suffering but didnt use those very often, was enough to keep it under control x