Have made myself worried :( obstetric cholestasis

Heres Hoping

Reaction score
Hi ladies, ive already posted in the obstetric cholestasis thread but it might be an old thread. Was wondering if any of the current mummys on here had experience of this? Basically ive read the thread & have worried myself. Im itching like mad since yest, had a terrible uncomfortable night & couldnt sleep. Have itching on arms, face & feet feel tickly/itchy. Ive been feeling really nauseous all day aswell. Plus ive had pain under right ribs & back for months. Been to hosp twice about pain & getting a liver/gall bladder scan tomorrow.

Just worried now, if its all connected or just coincidence. Feeling bit emotional about it, would appreciate any advice. Thanks x

Last edited:
I had itching hands and feet in my last pregnancy and I just spoke to my mw who did a blood test, it turned out it wasn't oc I was reacting to something. If your worried give your mw a ring, it's always best to get it checked x

I mentioned my itchiness to my MW and she advised i call the hosp to have a blood test as she wasnt able to fit me in herself for another week.
I had bloods done and the day after had the bile acid results back as all clear.

Some ladies tho have had the test had neg and a week later tested again and its positive. It can come on very suddenly and at anytime.

My advise is to get the blood test or retest as soon as to rule it out.

Since my bloods ive been alright, the odd scratching but ive put it down to the heat we've been having. Cooling spray has helped.
And they can subscribe you some cream aswell.

FX its nothing to worry about and all tests come back clear for u xxxx

My mw can only be contacted between 9-10 & my gp is not working today. Have this scan tomorrow so could mention it then but dont know what use they would be as scan is being done by a diff dept, not maternity. i wouldnt of got myself so annoyed if it wasnt all this talk about suspected gall bladder & ongoing rib pain.

Id bloods done few weeks ago which were norm, will be told of recent bloods at next week appt. Recent urine was norm but few weeks ago when i attended hosp with rib pain was told urine had protein & bilirubin (which i now know is something to do with bile)
Do u think i should ask for more blood tests even though they were only done last week?

Just turned into such a worry head :( x

They may not of checked what they needed to for OC tho hun in ur other blood tests. They didnt on my previous ones which is why i needed to have more.

Dw about waiting to contact ur MW.. Id call ur hosp obs unit/ antenatal unit.. the departments are called diff things in diff hosps.
They will more than likely ask u to come up today and ull have ur results ready for tomorrow.
If u have OC u need the medication as soon as u see hun so best not delay just incase. And ull want to get some cream or something to sooth the itching xx

Ive had such bad experience at my assessment & admission unit, hate contacting them. Been itching since last nite, do u think i should wait to see if it goes away first or improves? Just wondering if im being paranoid & over reacting, have no one else to run this past x

Id say call huni..
Ive been up 7times in total!
6 for reduced movement and 1s for this blood test when i called and said id been itching.

Personally its up to u what u want to do. But to be safer than sorry id call and get the test done. Hopefully u wont be up there long and they will get the results to u if not this evening then tomorrow! Thats what my hosp does for OC cos of the urgency to start the medication if it was to be positive.

Dont ever think ur over reacting. Your only looking out for you and your baby and its their job to help and advise you and do any checks to keep u both safe :) xxx

I'd get it checked. I had OC in my pregnancy and went in for blood tests in the evening and had the results the next morning. It's not worth not doing anything about it.
Good luck

Even tho if its a diff department the.liver scan is because they are checking u don't have any gall stones, blocked.bile duct within the liver etc (i had this scan day I was in Labour with dd!) They need to do specific bloods, liver function ones so if you're concerned get in touch with Gp (should be able to get urgent appt) and they will send them off for you. Try not to worry 2ms scan will.give them plenty of.info and the sonographer is likely to checks bubs too so think positive about seeing Lo again :eek:) xx

I had it in my pregnancy, I had the itching and phoned my midwife who sent me for a blood test. The results came back the next day.

Unfortunately (or fortunately lol) I went into prem Labour the next day so it was never really discussed

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

I would ring your day assessment or ring your GPs and explain your everything - they should be able to get you an appt with or leave a message for the duty dr even if yours is off to get a blood form. At my hospital the main out patient department has a separate blood test area so even if you can just get the form from the drs or day assessment and go there to have your bloods taken. I've had crap experiences at my day unit but as my mw is only available on a tues pm or thurs am I've phoned them quite a few times! X

I know people are saying go to gp etc.. But if you are really worried to put your mind at rest, phone your maternity triage. I just went there, was seen straight away, had bloods done and then a phone call at 9am next day.

Yeah i went to hosp. Didnt bother with gp x

Thanks for advice ladies. Basically i sat and hmmed & ha'ed about contacting the hosp. Decided to wait & speak to oh when he came home to see what he thought, he had our car any way so couldnt of gone any where any way. By that time the itch completely calmed down, He said i was scaring myself googling & just wait to see what scan brings. I felt bit irrational then, blamed him & had a good huff lol. I know im first time mum so not sure about these things but hate being dismissed. Touched a nerve with me, at last week appt i met a stand in dr for my consultant, pissed me off to say least cos he never took time to look at my notes, when i asked about my codeine prescrib just said "stay away from them" without asking anything about my pain. when i asked what should i do if rib pain is bad he replied "well u look fine" I wanted to punch his patronising face in. It really upset me & felt like he was completely dismissing it. Course i got defensive & tried to explain myself but he had no interest. So how are u meant to look when having flucuating abdominal pain then doc??? Grrr!!! Now im ranting sorry. lol

Any way to cut story short i didnt contact hosp as i felt i wasnt justified if wasnt itchy. I just put it down to one of those things. Now at 4am its started again although not severe. So think to be on safe il call my mw in morning plus mention it at liver scan.

I will let yous know what my mw says, fx i get good news or least an explanation at my scan. Xx

Wouldn't hurt to call mw or triage for advice. I git bile salts and liver function test added to my bloods last week due to an itch on my leg. Probably nothing but mw was happy to check as OC is important to know about. Don't worry yourself, speak to someone hun. Xxxx

I had OC in my last pregnancy. Check out the ICP Support Facebook page. They are brilliant at giving advice! You need to have a blood test to check your bile acid levels to confirm if its OC. It's a horrible condition but when managed doesn't have any extra risk to the baby so try not to worry! PM me if you have any questions.
xx

Well contacted my gp who is lovely & very sympathetic to my woes lol. She mentioned oc given their concerns already about gall bladder. So booked in for bloods tomorrow morn, prob wont get results til mon though. im to mention it tonight at scan although warned i may not be given any feedback tonight. Also told if i turn yellow to go to A&E :eh:

So getting something done, tnx for all ur advice. Currently fasting today, have the rib pain for past few hours plus heartburn. Would just love to guzzle down a litre of milk lol. x

Hope all is fine at scan and with blood tests huni. :) xx

Thanks babyslog! Back from scan, they wouldnt tell me anything.....so annoying! Have to wait to next appt for result. Roll on tues x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back