Has anyone?????

mum&2girls

Reaction score
done homehelp care for the elderly or does that type of job as im going to give it a try i hope i like it :D

yes I was a home care worker for about 2 months in 2006. It was ok work and not bad pay and some of the clients were really lovely. The only bad points were that if I did full-time hours it would involve getting up at 6.30am, working till about 2 then going out to work again from about 5.30 til 10 which takes up your whole day really. Also it can be very heavy work. The plus side is it does tend to be very flexible if you only want part time hours. Also make sure your agency is well organised as the one I was with was terrible and never gave us decent rotas and so we'd end up maing mistakes - the agency got so many complaints!

If you are genuinely into caring then it is a good job and rewarding. Good luck with it.

my nan is 74 and is a home help carer adn the only thing that i would recommend from watching her is to make sure you dont put yourself down to work full time as she is never home and to be honest it is making her ill but that is due to her age and her insistenty (sp) to keep working the hours of someone half her age lol. it is a great job and i think can be very rewarding so good luck to you :hug: :hug: :hug:

my mum was a home help, i thought it seemed like a super job coz all the old dears mostly had clean houses and didnt really need anything doing they just wanted company (aww!) so they would sit and drink tea with her! and some of the ones who had no grand-children used to treat me and my sis like we were their grandkids and give us sweets and money all the time!

but tbh my mum hated it she hated having to clean old people's bums and commodes- and some dirty old men got bonk-on's when she was washing their willies and said rude things to her she hated that! and she got the occasional old witch who'd grumble at her all day

balanced argument there lol!

I worked in a nusing home for 2 years and tbh its a very rewarding job but its saddening to watch the elderly die and live with no dignity at all, in fact sometimes it got me so angry at the way our elderly are treated and being one sole person that i was unable to do anything about this, it all seemed that to many people do it for the money and that is it. You have to do the job because its something that you want to do and care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back