Has anyone tried home fertility tests from ebay?

libs

Reaction score
the ones for women that measure fsh as an elevated amount can suggest infertility/impending menopause :shock:

I'm just wondering - or do you reckon my doctors right and if it was a problem I wouldn't have (normally) a 28-29 day cycle?

Is it better not to as even if I get a result that suggest seeing your doctor - I can't have any tests/treatment done anyway

Hi Libs,

I haven't, but it's been mentioned recently in the chartstalkers thread, with a few people having used them - I think Loola and Bagpuss, but can't remember off the top of my head. If you don't get replies here, have a look through the stalkers thread (prob around p.25-30, it would be sometime last week), or post on it.

I've heard of Fertell - http://www.fertell.co.uk/purchasingfertell/ (that's the one you can get in Boots) but I'm pretty sure at least one person bought theirs from Access Diagnostics - http://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acat ... Tests.html
That one's £5.99 for 2 tests (female only).

When I told my GP I'd been buying stuff from Access Diagnostics, he nodded and said it was a good site - the surgery buys equipment and tests from there, though he didn't specify which. For £6, might be worth doing?

You can also get Pre-Seed there. Don't know if you've considered/used that, but it gives the sperm a bit of a boost, and extra nourishment. If you only get one shot a month, and you're not already using it, you could try that as it might give you an extra day?

Have you considered charting? If you have progesterone problems, or a luteal phase deficit, then your temps will probably give you a clue. My doctor has already said that he'll start tests at the end of this cycle if I'm not pg by then (6th cycle TTC) because the charts give him a head start as to what to look for - and one of the first tests he will do will be thyroid function as I have very low temps.

Best of luck :hug:

thanks - I'll have a read through chart stalkers

It was access diagnostics. I've already ordered pre seed for next month.

I know my thyroid etc are fine - had all basic blood tests done in August. I don't chart - simply because confirming afterwards that I ovulated was never much use to me as I need to know in advance (and it would right p**s me off all month to find out I didn't ov on time tbh :wink: ) - and also as my cycle was always so regular. My doctor just kept reassuring me that if there was a problem - I wouldn't be as regular.

and because I don't want to get obsessed with something else :oops: I've discovered I have an addictive personality since starting this

I can see why you wouldn't be bothered with charting - but if you did, and you found that your temps were regularly dipping in the post-ovulation phase, it would be a good indicator of possible low progesterone levels, which would make it difficult to sustain a pregnancy (other than chromosomal abnormalities, one of the common reasons for recurrent chemical pregnancies). Then again, it is a faff...

this is going to sound a bit stupid, but as I'm not entitled to any help or tests etc from the doctors - what I was really asking is would you want to find out there may be a problem? I couldn't do anything so would I be better off not knowing?

why are you not entitled to any help? I know you're not eligible for IVF, etc, but I don't understand why, if you had a progesterone problem, you couldn't be treated for that? Surely you could be treated for hormonal imbalances?! (you can buy herbal remedies that are supposed to help with specific problems, and also progesterone supplements, so if you did have a problem, it's possible you could remedy it yourself anyway, or visit a herbalist)

I think I'd prefer to know than not know, as I'd rather not have the false hope. But I guess it's a question of what's easiest for you to live with. I suspect that with your regular cycles, your biggest problem is simply the one chance a month when the rest of us are lucky enough to get multiple chances in the fertile period, if we spot it in time. Any chance of taking a day off work to get double donations, if ovulation doesn't coincide with a weekend?

I bought the combined fertility tests from Access Diagnostics. Male and Female tests.

I said I'd wait till my AF arrived before buying them but ever the pessimist bought them almost straight after ov'ing and then got a BFP!

The FSH one is a pee on a stick job, you get 2 tests and if it's positive you have to take the 2nd test a week later. I think FSH tests are only part of the picture though.

We used pre-seed this month too, I'd recommend it.

I havent used any fertility tests yet, but Bagpuss is sending me her unused ones (thank you Bagpuss! :hug: Im praying they have some of your babydust attached! :wink: ). So we may use them in the next month or so.

Libs i think its awful that they wont help you. If I was in your position I think I would want to do the test though just to put my mind at rest. TTC is such an emotional rollercoaster and too many months of BFN's are bound to drive you mad. At least if you find out there is a problem you can decide whether you want to continue trying or call it a day. If the tests come back fine then Im sure it will give you new hope and energy to continue until you succeed!

Good luck libs :hug: :hug:

I'm not entitled to any help mainly as both DH and I already have children and we live in one of the cash strapped NHS PCTs that have major problems - so the only fertility help goes to couples with no children. I can get a referral for private but I won't do that - it would cost too much. My GP said i couldn't even have blood tests other than the basic check up ones that I had after mc in August.

I think I will get them just to put my mind at ease. I'm sure the problem is exactly what was said - 1 chance.

I can book a day off - but not at short notice. DH can't though - he'd lose a days pay. But I may consider doing it next month or MARCH :wink: but we also have to consider our donor and whether he can make it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back