Has anyone tried BLW then moved to TW?

mrswoody

Reaction score
As the totals suggests really?

We've been BLW for a month or so now and while it was going really well and I was getting more confident the past week or so M has gagged loads! It is really putting me off and making me loose confidence which I don't feel is fair for M.
I'm so nervous feeding her when we are out and have company I just loose my nerve.
I've decided to go back to easier foods so veg and soft fruit and see if it helps her with the gagging. If it doesn't work or I can't get confident with it again I think ill have to go down tw (which I don't mind)
Could I just go straight to lumpy foods?

I'd appreciate any advice you all have and if you swapped how did you do it.
Tia

xx

How old is she Hun? I was told even tw weaned baby are best having solids introduced around 7 months. My lo still gags now and he is 15 months just not as often. If its only gagging and not choking id stick with it Hun. If you are going back don't offer really lumpy foods as lo will need to get used to it again and basically learn how to manage it.

Thank you lovely.
She is 7months old. It really is just the gagging that is getting to me. It's every meal time almost now
X

I would do what makes you less stressed really.there is no point is you dreading every meal time and there is no good and bad choice here. Both are equally fine.
I would go directly to lumpy food and he how is little one managing.
If gagging loads and you are stressed make it a little less lumper and offer soft finger foods.
You know that gagging is normal and actually a defense mechanism against chocking so I will no stress that more.

Amelie never gagged in her life really but she actually chocked and went blue and stopped breathing with a biscuit :(
Weird enough that didn't put me off offering her finer foods but I am a doctor so maybe I am less scared of some things.

We did a mix of tw and blw. Started at around 5 m with mostly purés and soen finger food.
At 6.5 m she denied everything from the spoon and she didn't want to pick up food anymore so I fed her chopped pieces of food with my hand. So we kind info skipped the lumpy stage and went straight to chunks.

At 7 here is what Amelie usually had

Breakfast was usually a cheese toasted sandwich so I would brake little pieces with my hand her and feed her that.
In time the chunks got bigger and now at 9 m she eats big bites of everything. Though she barely had any tooth lol.

Lunch was usually a puréed meat and vegetables fed with spoon (usually having inside pieces of carrot and pasta for her to chew so each a quite lumpy thing and I was making for me sth that if she refuses the spoon I can feed her so if she didn't want the spoon she would have for example pieces of my fish and my vegetables or an omelet
Dinner was always what I was eating from my plate
After each meal and while I was finishing my meal of making order around she would have organic puffs and breadsticks of prunes and raisins etc to eat if she wanted to.

She went through million of phases wanting finger food then non wanting finger food then wanted me to spoon feed her or to feed er bites of my food or simply refused everything.

Do what makes you happy really as its not good for you to stress about sth that is suppose to be fun.

If you want to continue with blw maybe looking for sown first aid lessons will reassure you a bit?
But if the gagging itself its so stressful as a noise as I get it what you mean your baby gagging like that on a restaurant or in front of family and friends then I would spoon feed too and offer finger food too and let the baby choose what likes

I did the same - got too stressed with BLW and went to TW. Started Harry with porridge/baby rice and fruit in the morning, then puree late afternoon inbetween feeds. I always try to keep giving him some finger foods as didn't want to completely stop, but just giving him really soft stuff like well cooked veg, soft fruits and mashed potato to feed himself. Now Harry is a bit older, this is our routine at the moment:

7am milk
8.30 porridge/weetabix/baby rice and fruit (mashed)
11am Something with protein and carbohydrate mashed i.e potato and cheese/egg/tuna. Pudding yoghurt and mashed fruit
1pm finger food while we have our lunch
2pm Milk
4.30 puree from jar - now introdung more lumpy purees
6.30pm milk

Basically I would start her on purees to get used to the idea then gradually introduce more lumpier purees. Also I spoke to my HV about it and she was helpful in guiding me as I was quite anxious about how to do it..

Hope this helps xx

Last edited:
Hi ladies,
Thank you for all the advice :) I really appreciate it all.
Hope I had a look online at videos of infancy CPR so very happy with that aspect of things and the difference between gagging and choking etc

After speaking to the HV I have went to TW/spoon feeding. I haven't puréed the food right down to smooth but mash it with the fork into manageable sizes for her and this seems to be working so far.
BLW really wasn't for us and she's "ate" a lot more now than she ever did before so I am happy that she is getting what she needs

Ceebee..thank you for your advice lovely.
It really is tough having to change what your doing but sometimes it's for the best :)
I have a similar routine to you
6am milk back to sleep
9am milk
10am weetabix
12 milk and snooze
14.30 lunch
1600 milk
1800 dinner
2000 bottle and bed

Sometimes I'm struggling to get lunch in if she's having a mega sleep so it's just finger foods like ride cakes and fruit.

x

It's very challenging switching from one mode of doing things to another, but I'm sure we'll get there in the end. I mean, with BLW they say they don't even need food until they're 1, so we're ahead of the game right?! Good luck :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back