Has anyone experienced the difference between a consultant & Midwife led Pregnancy?

Robbda

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondered those that are on their second + what the striking differences were?

My choice has been made for me due to a heart defect - I'm having consultant, but I didn't really know the difference as this was my first, and was worrying what to pick and what the difference would be so I thought It might help me and others!

thanks

Can't help I'm afraid as this is my first but I was asked "you're ok with being midwife led aren't you?" So the choice was basically made for me too!

I'm interested to hear people's experience as I had midwife led with my first but will be consultant this time as I had pre eclampsia

I was consultant led as we had IVF. The only real difference was we had separate appointments with the consultant as well as Midwife. Thankfully we had no problems throughout our pregnancy and so only required two appointments with the consultant. When it comes to delivery however if you are consultant led you are unable to go into a midwife led birth centre.

This is obviously just my personal experience but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
I'm consultant led. Had my first appointment with the consultant at 16 weeks and then didn't see her again until 28 weeks. I had normal midwife appointments up until then but now from here on in until delivery I don't see the midwife again and just see the consultant fortnightly. As Poispinner has said, you can't give birth in a midwife led unit x

For my first i was just ordinarily midwife led, this time I am consultant AND midwife led - I don't like my consultant much and she's been a complete waste of time to be completely honest - she's actually quite clueless. My reason for being both lead is that my bmi is 31 so I am classed as high BMI ... but she's never weighed me or anything, it's a complete waste of my time to be honest. She said at 36 weeks I can have an extra growth scan and one last consultant appointment then she will sign me back over to the midwife.

So luckily that means I can deliver in a midwife led unit which is what I want, so I haven't got tonnes of advice only that my consultant doesn't really show much care or concern towards me! lol xx

I was midwife led with my daughter. Basically only set foot in the hospital at 12 and 20 week scans.

This time I'm consultant led due to previous c-section, and previous pregnancy with abnormality. Plus this time it's twins so def consultant led. So far though I've only had the 12 week scan and saw the consultant. I have the 20 week scan on wed then have the consultant appointment the following week. I don't know much else except that I'll be attending hospital all the time....much to my dismay!

I'm consultant led, I attended my 16 week appointment with the consultant instead of the MW. All she did was take blood pressure, test my pee as usual...... I suffer with hypermobility syndrome and she's put me on 30/500mg of cocodamol for the pelvic pain in causes me. She's wrote to my GP to advise him to prescribe me more cocodamol if need me as he refused to whilst I'm pregnant (I normally take it for my pain when not pregnant)
I start physio today and see the consultant again around 30 weeks to see how I've got on with pin relief and physio. It is likely I will be induced early again due to pain. Though the consultant did say if I need to come back before 30 weeks then to ask my MW to make me another appt x

Thanks everyone, I'm just wondering if theres a dramatic difference in birth options too? I guess in hospital it will be on a bed and stuff whereas I know you can have water births and things in a midwife unit

I think consultants are better in high risk situations which are less common. MWs are better and more experienced with 'normal' birth.

I have been told I can have a normal birth in a midwife lead unit as long as my pregnancy stays normal xxx

Thanks everyone, I'm just wondering if theres a dramatic difference in birth options too? I guess in hospital it will be on a bed and stuff whereas I know you can have water births and things in a midwife unit
My hospital has a birthing pool..... However, I will be induced early so will need to be monitored during labour so pool isn't an option for me x

Hi I was consultant led due to a heart defect and basically I only seen my consultant throughout my pregnancy. So I had the usual checks but I was also scanned at every appointment. I also had a fetal echo to check my lg's heart.

I also had to see a cardiologist every 6 weeks to check my heart was coping ok with pregnancy.

I was induced due to slowing growth at 38 weeks so I can't comment on a natural birth as I had a c-section 10hours after they broke my waters.

If you have any questions just ask

I was consultant lead and had various appts but midwifes still did regular checks and delivered my baby, i just wasnt allowed in the birthing center where i think its better set up for water births etc. x

My first was midwife led my second was consultant led due to having a c-section with my first. To be honest there wasn't an awful lot of difference for me. I still saw my midwife during my second pregnancy but I had hospital appointments as check ups and if extra hospital appointments were scheduled that clashed with my midwife these superseded the midwife appointments.

By all means message me if you want to ask anything

I was consultant led as we had IVF. The only real difference was we had separate appointments with the consultant as well as Midwife. Thankfully we had no problems throughout our pregnancy and so only required two appointments with the consultant. When it comes to delivery however if you are consultant led you are unable to go into a midwife led birth centre.

This is obviously just my personal experience but I hope it helps.

Strictly speaking this is not quite accurate as you could speak to the supervisor of midwives at the hospital and try to negotiate a midwife led birth centre rather than a labour ward.

If you are ever unhappy with anything being suggested always contact the som

Most hospitals now have the same facilities as midwife led units, perhaps just not as many birthing pools, so depending on circumstances you will be able to have a similar birth experience just with more access to pain relief and quicker transfer to theatre if required

I was consultant led second time round and found she was great, so much better and reassuring thand first time round. I was scanned every 4 weeks from 20 weeks and was able to ask anything and any request I had was no issue. My midwife in my first pregnancy would take ages to get back to me on anything and in general I always felt anxious with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back