Has anyone ever...

EllieH

Reaction score
Gotten pregnant whilst breastfeeding?? And if so, how often were you feeding as I read that as long as you feed every 4hrs in the day and every 6hrs at night and you've not had your period since giving birth, you shouldn't get caught!

I just don't want to get caught anytime soon as I'm not over the pregnancy yet haha and don't want to go back on the pill anytime soon.
Also I know hubby is going mad as before the end of the pregnancy if it was longer than a week, boy would I know about it :rofl:

Hope you guys can help

Breastfeeding is not a contraceptive. If you and your OH are having sex again and you don't want to get pregnant, make sure you're using contraceptives!xo

I started having sex 4 weeks pp and got a coil at 4 months. You're right with the info you have. My lo's feeds spaced out slightly at 4 months which is why I got the coil (I hate hormonal contraceptives) and my period came back 5 months pp

My midwife and hv both told me that exclusive bf is a contraceptive but as soon as you start purées or solid food you need protection

I am pregnant and still breastfeed my toddler.

If you don't want to get pregnant you need to use contraception!

Although breastfeeding usually delays the return of fertility, you won't know when you are fertile again right away and so could easily get pregnant.

My doctor said that as I'm breastfeeding I shouldn't get pregnant especially till I have my 6 week check up and talk about contraception.

Maud did you breastfeed every 4hrs during the day and every 6hrs at night when you got pregnant?
Thanks s

my doc said it reduces the chance but there is still a chance

The idea that it is a contraceptive is an old wives tale. It's common sense that it's not! And any HV or midwife who says otherwise should be retrained, such a dangerous thing to suggest to someone. It's simple common sense.

Last edited:
Official NHS advice is not to take the risk unless you would be happy to get pregnancy again
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/943.aspx?CategoryID=54

Maud did you breastfeed every 4hrs during the day and every 6hrs at night when you got pregnant?
Thanks s

No, my daughter only feeds twice a day now. My periods didn't come back until she dropped her nightfeed, but you hear about people falling pregnant within weeks of birth despite breastfeeding so it's not a risk I would've wanted to take.

Last edited:
No no no don't do it!!!! My cousin was breastfeeding every 3/4 hours every day even through the night. She got caught 6 weeks after giving birth. SIX weeks!! The doctor swore she wouldn't and she did...she also never ever had a period. Be careful. I've had the copper coil in no hormones nothing. It's fantastic xx

Thanks mamajay, I was just asking for other people's experiences is all, wasn't that much of a stupid question is it? You would think you could trust your health professionals. :-(

Oh I'm so sorry if I came across rude! I didn't mean to lol I was like ahhhh mayday and the alarm bells rang hahaha. Sorry love. You know your body best obviously but from personal experience I wouldn't take the chance :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back