Harrison James Birth Story - 5th July 2013 (Its a long one!)

SaraLouise

Reaction score
Sorry its so late, but to be honest Harrison has not had the best start to his little life, and we have had lots of problems so I have barely had 5 minutes to myself!

And its a long one I'm afraid!

Thursday 4th July 2013

7.30am - Woke up early because I was very nervous about the fact that I was being induced, and couldnt sleep. Knew I was getting a phonecall by 10.30am so decided to just get up and get in the shower. Whilst in the shower my OH answered my mum phone and it was the hospital asking me to come in to be induced right away!

10.20am - Got to hospital, and was put straight on the heart-rate monitor. They just wanted to check that he was okay before the induction started. Everything seemed fine so they decided to just get on with it.

11am - The pessary was put in, and it was so so painful. The midwife had told me a few days before at my sweep that I was 1-2cm dilated, but the midwife who put the pessary in said this was more like 1 at the most, which it was why it was so painful. This is where I started to think about my pain relief plan, and wasnt so sure that I would be able to do it on gas and air only, as I felt that if that hurt so much how was I going to be able to do it with no pain relief!?

1:45pm - Nothing atall was happening. I was really dissapointed and worried that if nothing was happening, they would have to put another pessary in or use the gel and I wanted as little interference as possible (which is funny when you find out what happened next!). They told me to go for a walk so me & OH walked to the co-op and on the way back I had my first contraction!

3:40pm - By now I was having very irregular contractions, but they werent very strong so I wasnt too bothered by them.

4:30pm - Contractions were now 5-6 minutes apart, but I was having what they referred to as "coupling contractions". So I was having a contraction for a minute, then another straight after, then a 5 minute break. This was already starting to become very painful, but I wanted to see how long I could make it without pain relief.

9pm - Contractions were now 4 minutes apart and even more painful, midwife checked me again, and she said that she could feel Harrisons head, and they would be sending me down to the labour ward soon to have my waters broken.

10:50pm - My contractions had started to ease off, and were now between 7 and 15 minutes apart. So Midwife told me to lie down and try and get some sleep and they would take me down to labour ward in the morning.

Friday 5th July 2013

12am - Woke up to incredibly painful contractions that were coming every 3 minutes. Literally felt like my insides were being squeezed. They checked my dilation and I was 3cm and my waters were bulging so they rushed me down to delivery. I had gas and air on the way down to make it more bearable, but to be honest I was starting to already feel like I was going to need an epidural (after saying that I defintely wasnt going to have one) as I felt I just couldnt handle it. They took the gas and air away from me when I got down there as they said I wasnt in "established labour" so couldnt have it!!

12:50am - Midwife checked me on the labour ward and told me that I was actually more like 1-2cm then 3cm, which just upset me so so much! The midwife managed to break my waters after alot of prodding - which hurt like hell! They decided to put me on the hormone drip in 2 hours time to get the labour moving quicker. I got in the bath but was in agony as soon as my waters were broken, and I was still getting horrible coupling contractions but I was only getting a 3minute break in between.

3am - The hormone drip was attached and I asked for an epidural to be put into place at
the same time. I knew that there was no way I would be able to do it without one. I was really dissapointed in myself but I didnt want to be out of my face on painkillers when he was born so decided it was the only way I could do it.
5:10am - Was put on the trace, and Harrisons heartrate kept dipping with each contraction. The midwife decided to go and get a doctor to check that he was okay.

5.20am - Doctor came in, and his heartrate stayed down for just under 5 minutes. This was it got very scary! About 15 people rushed into the room, my epidural was topped up and they told me they needed to get him out ASAP and that I was going in for an emergency c-section. BUT his heartrate when back up and stayed up for about 10 minutes so they decided that we would take it 30 minutes at a time, and see how it went. I wanted to try and have him as naturally as possible so was glad that I wasnt cut at this point.

6am - A Fetal Scalp Monitor was put on his head as the contractions were still making his heart-rate
dip.

7.50am - They took a sample of blood from the top of his head to check his blood levels as they were getting seriously concerned about his hear-rate. These results came back okay so it was decided they were going to leave it another 30 minutes to check again. Was 5cm dilated.

8.20am - Heart-rate still dipping, more blood taken, results okay, assess again in 30 minutes. 8cm Dilated.

9am - Heart-rate still dipping, more blood taken, results okay, assess again in 30 minutes.

9:30am - Heart-rate still dipping, doctors seriously concerned about his safety now. At one point his heart-rate dipped to 67bpm when his baseline was normally 150bpm. They really want to just do a c-section and get him out, but I really want him to come out as naturally as possible. I asked them to wait 30 more minutes and assess it then. Was 9cm dilated at this point, and they told me that if I managed to get to fully in the next 30 minutes they would let me have an assisted delivery rather than a c-section.

10:15am - Fully dilated now, Harrison has turned around and is back to back. His heart-rate is ridiculously low, and they decide he has to come out right now! Epidural was topped up again, but this made me have ridiculously painful back spasms and I couldnt lie on my back because I was in agony. The consultant had no idea why this was happening and they put me on my side and wheeled me into theatre for an assisted delivery.

10.30 - Doctors had to give me a muscle relaxant because my back spasms meant I couldnt be still enough for the forceps. They prepped me for forceps, they cut me, and inserted the forceps and turned him so he was facing the right way. They then told me that I had to start pushing. I did two of the biggest pushes of my life as his heart-rate had now dropped to 0bpm, and his head came out, I did two more pushes and the rest of him came out at 10.45am weighing a very tiny 5lb 12oz, his cord was wrapped tightly around his wrist 3 times and he wasnt breathing. After 5 minutes of resusitation I heard the most beautiful sound in the world, his cry. They told me that he was going to be okay, and my OH went over and took some pictures of him. They told me that he had hypospadius (so his foreskin is too short for his penis, and his uretha pokes out, but this isnt going to be a problem and they have made me an appointment for a years time with the urologist). But apart from that he was absolutely perfect.

I then had my first cuddle, which was the most amazing experience in the world!

This wasnt the end of the drama!!...

Day 0
Harrison decides that he is far too sleepy to feed, so I have to express colostrum into a syringe to give him. It was so depressing as I was only getting 0.6ml at a time, but it seemed to be soothing him so they werent too worried.

Day 1
Baby still not feeding atall. I was so worried about him, he just wasnt getting hardly anything, and I felt like I was starving him, but he was just point blank refusing to feed. He was spending a maximum of 3 minutes on the breast at a time.

Day 2
His blood sugars got so low that I had to give him some formula, which upset me so much. I really didnt want to but I couldnt express enough to give him, so I had to do it otherwise he would starve.

Day 3
He finally managed to get on the breast and feed a couple of times, they told me that if he kept it up then I could go home the next day, but by the evening he was back to refusing the breast so I was having to express. By now my milk had come in and I was expressing enough to keep him fed up.

Day 4
He was weighed and had only lost 6% which they said was fine, so they were happy to let me go home providing I had a breast pump at home to express milk with. I bought one on the way home and also bought some nipple shields. Which I tried later that evening to no avail. Still refusing breast completely.

Day 5
Midwife came to see him and helped me with the nipple shields, and he latched straight away!! And fed for 20 minutes!! I was so relieved!

Day 6
Feeding absolutely beautifully, felt like we had really turned a corner!

Day 7 (Today)
Midwife came to weigh him again, and he hasnt put on any weight atall, so upset. They are very worried about him as he is already so little. So now I have to feed him on the breast, wait til he falls asleep, take him off, then express for 10 minutes, then wake him and feed him the expressed milk. I have to do this every 2 hours for the next 48 hours and if this doesnt work I will be taken back into hospital!

So fingers crossed it works!

And if you have managed to get this far then well done to you haha x

Woah, bless him, the little fighter! And you did really well, don't blame you for having an epidural!

Congratulations xx

Wow what a story, I'm so glad he's ok that must have been really scary for you! Fingers crossed he starts to put some weight on soon xx

Oh my days! What a lot for you to deal with. Sounds like you've done so well. Keep going honey and fx he starts piling on the weight lovely xxxxxx

Well done sweetie! As hectic as it sounds, bet it was so exciting. Still can't believe he's here now!

How ru feeling? Hope ur managing to get a little bit of rest in between feeds. The first couple of weeks are the hardest but ul soon get the hang of it and il will become second nature. Glad ur milks coming through nicely, I'm sure in a few days he will really start putting the weight on. Ty struggled to feed for the first week and it scared me so much but once we got into it he was absolutely fine, I had to use formula at night tho as he slept better on that, otherwise he was up every other hour, feeding for a little bit, then drifting back off, so he never got full and was contantly waking up. Don't feel bad about ever needing some help, no1 is an expert at all this, and throwing tiredness and exhaustion into the mix really doesn't help either. But u sound like ur handling it all perfectly, can't wait to see some more pics!!
How much fun are u having dressing him up by the way?! Haha bet he's sooooo tiny and cute! Ahhhhhhhh x

Congrats guys xxxxx

Thankyou ladies.

He is beautiful & I feel truly blessed to have him here.

He hasn't really adjusted to life outside the womb I don't think, which is why everything is a bit of a battle.

Feeds are now taking about an hour & we have to start again two hours later, so with washing, sterilizing & settling him back down we are getting about an hour in between. But I would happily go without to make sure hes getting nice & fat.

Here's my little guy today - 8 days old x

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373710977798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373710977798.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 43
Aaaw he's such a little beauty. Congrats n well done. You did brilliantly with everything you had to go through. Fx now that little Harrison piles on the weight for you n by bf n expressing your milk you are doing everything you can n giving him the best possible start in life. You should feel very proud :) xx

I must have missed this somehow.

Sounds like a very traumatic labour and birth hun - you should feel so proud of yourself...wow!

He is also an absolute stunner.

Awh thankyou. He weighs 7lb 10oz already! So even with all the trouble feeding, mummy milk is working!

Here's baby Harrison today x

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374711597986.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374711597986.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 24
Here's baby Harrison today x

gorgeous pic and wow what a story im glad you have shared it though an i hope he gets stronger adn feeds better as time passes xxx

Congratulations! What a scary time u had, hope the expressing is working xxx

Thankyou, he's a little gem.

Feeding is still hard, we are still doing 2-3 hourly, and he is generally on boob for 20 odd minutes, and then I express about 40ml & give him that. But its working, he's putting on weight nicely.

We've changed to Dr Browns bottles for the expressed milk, so that's helping with his wind a lot, and he's having infacol before every feed.

Aww he's gorgeous :) its all worth it in the end! Xx

Thankyou, we are getting there slowly! He's starting to drop some of the expressed feeds & just take boob (with shields) so its starting to get a bit easier. He's still not in any routine with feeds though so that's a bit hectic.

He's going to be weighed today so I will update you all later about that.

This was little man on Sunday having cuddles with daddy...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375173616667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375173616667.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375173627629.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375173627629.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 11
congratulations, sorry you had such a tough time of it, glad he is doing well now xx

Congrats hun, and wow the little fighter! and so are you! it sounded like a tough start x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back