Happy Birthday to James Michael (and to his amazing Daddy!!) 14/11/12

CARNAT22

Reaction score
This is going to be a bit epic ladies, as it took a bloody long time for my little man to make an appearence!!

It all started Sunday evening (11th) when I was 6 days overdue. I had a teeny bit of blood on my way out to a fireworks display.

I was out for about an hour watching a local display and I was having niggling cramps, I remember watching all these beautiful fireworks and thinking "it's starting, baby is coming"

I started timing pains at 10.30pm that night and they were every 10 minutes. They were like the worst ever AF pains and all my hypnobortjing stuff went out the window.... it fricking hurt so much.

Monday is a bit of a lost day to me, I was still contracting every 10 minutes and even cancelled my 41w appointment as I was sure it was all kicking off... By Monday night (12th) things were really painful. I'd got down to having contractions every 6 minutes but after a bath they went back up to every 10 minutes. OH stayed up with me and we dragged the duvet into the sitting room. He managed to sleep between my contractions but everytime one came he jumped up and rubbed my back.

I had another bath about 6am on Tuesday (13th) and I lost some water afterwards, not much though.

My Dad took us in and at this point we didn't know if they's admit me so I left my bags with my Dad and he would drop them back if need be. We went into the assessment unit about 8:45 and I was seen straight away.

The MW laid me down for 20 minutes to see if waters were gone and then did a speculum, she gave me gas & air for the internal and it was amazing. She said baby was very low down and acting as plug for most of my waters and asked me to guess how dilated I was and I remember almost bursting into tears and saying 'please don't send me home' - she initially said I was 6cms but the revised it to 5cm (a good 5cms). I had very low ketones though as I'd barely eaten for 2 days so she grabbed us tea and toast and then asked me if I wanted to go to birth centre!!! I have white coat syndrome and the past few antenatal appointments had seen my BP shoot up. So much so at 38w I was sent for monitoring and baby had a trace put on. I was perfectly healthy but have a phobia of my BP being taken and was so worried it would scuper my plans to go to the active Birth centre. On the day my BP was perfect - and would remain so all through labour!!

We went up to Birthing centre at 11am and I had the most amazing MW - Bissie - She was an absolute angel. I also agreed to a student as well. Turned out student was male... I didn't mind.

The room was lovely and I was told if all was OK we could move to a room with a pool a bit later.

I found being on all fours the only way I could cope with contractions but Bissie encouraged me to go for a walk. By this point I felt the contractions were unbearable and I only made it up a few flights of stairs before we had to go back. I reverted to being on all fours as it was the only position I could get comfy in... I also hit the G&A hard and vommed in the sink a few times. MW told me that if I vom again to do it in a dish and keep the dish so she could look at it !!

At some point my MIL popped in as she is a nurse at the hospital we were in! I was pretty pissed off about that to be honest as we'd made it clear we didn't want any visitors, but she only gave me a cuddle and a quick backrub before she left.

Bissie was checking baby at regular intervals and also checking BP and coming in to observe me. I was examined twice in the space of 4 hours and sadly I only progressed to 6cm. I had the head MW come in and examine me to make sure but she agreed I was still only 6cm so they had no choice but to take me to labour ward as I needed to be put on a drip to help me speed things up. I had my cannula fitted by my lovely MW as I sobbed and sobbed as I didn't want to leave.

Bissie was very upset as well but she'd managed to keep me in birthing centre for as long as possible. About about 7pm we went downstairs... I walked!! Very proud of myself LOL!!

By this point I was contracting every 3 minutes, I was tired and the moment I walked into labour room I didn't like it. It was so medical and intimidating. Bissie settled us in and introduced me to another MW who was also lovely... However within half hour it was shift change so the nice MW left.

As the MW's were chaging shifts I was seen by 2 dr's who explained about the drip and tried to convince me to have an EPI, by this point I was in agony and contracting pretty much all the time. I still refused the EPI but did ask for a hit of diamorphine!!

I was hooked up to synatocin drip but as I was examined the Dr realised that my waters were still partly intact (babies head was acting as a plug) so he ruptured rest of my membranes and left me and OH. I was left for 15 minutes gushing water all over the bed and in chronic pain. Again I got very upset and was telling OH I was going home lol... At some point I was finally given my diamorphine - it didn't last long but my God was it good stuff.

New MW's came on shift and although they did a great job they were proper "labour" nurses and immediately I was hooked up to baby monitor and basically every time I moved or asked to go to loo etc I was made to feel bad as they would lose the babies trace. They kept increasing my drip and told me they were going to examine me in 4 hours to see if I was fully dilated (so about Midnight) but it became clear that things were progressing very quickly and they ended up turning my drip down.

Baby had a clip put on head, so I could move around a bit more but I was in horrendous pain and felt quite ganged up on :shock:

By about 11pm they realised things were moving along swiftly (at bloody last) and I was examined and told I could push, but it was going to be assisted pushing so they would tell me what to do etc.... We tried this for half an hour but I was so tired and distressed that they decided to leave me for a bit and I was able to "go with my body" with each contraction. They said basically it was a practice run and within the hour baby would be coming as we'd go back to assisted pushing and if no joy the Dr's would "assist"!!!

As midnight crept closer we realised our baby was going to be born on the same day as Daddy - my OH's birthday is 14th November!!!

At some point my cannula came loose and I was bleeding all over the place, losing my fluids etc... They had to get a Dr in to do it in other arm and I had to remain in total stillness. Not easy when you are about to give birth.

The next hour was spent trying to push baby out and I struggled, I was tired and according to MW my contractions were quite week (I didn't bloody think they were weak LOL). They could see his head but I couldn't quite get it out of the u-bend.

MW's got quite agressive at this point, which I probably needed, but they were really telling me off for weak pushing and telling Dr's would intevene at any minute. They were also telling me off for screaming / wasting my energy. I was telling them to fcuk off and telling OH to get out if he was going to let them bully me like this. Unbeknown to me at the time they'd had a word with OH though and told him that unless I get this babies head out of the u-bend I'd most likely end up with a section so OH was also being pretty harsh with me. [I'd written in my birth plan to one of OH's jobs was to be tough with me when I got to the point of thinking I can't do it anymore!]

I kept pushing the head but it kept slipping back, so baby was getting distressed. In the end I after trying numerous positions I went back to the stirrups and they put some bars on the bed so I could grab them for leverage. As babies head was just about to crown they told me to feel it which was very weird! OH declined their offer... I felt the infamous ring of fire as the MW helped stretch me so babies head could emerge. As I was in stirrups with my knees virtually at my chin my poor OH could see everything [despite me swearing to him it wouldn't be too gory!]. Head was out quite quickly and I expected more pain as I pushed his shoulders out but he just kind of slitered out - James Michael was born at 12:56am and weighed a very decent 7lbs 8oz... Not bad as he was 9 days overdue in the end!!

It was painful beyond belief and I was terrified but it is so true that the moment he actually came out and was passed to me it was worth every ounce of pain. He was put on my tummy and he was wide awake and just staring at me!!! I've never known such a feeling of emotion and love. Everything just made sense from that moment on...

Baby was taken quite quickly as he had been distressed but he was passed back to Dad within minutes.

Baby had to be seen by dr's as placenta showed low gasses and they were worried about infection etc....

I was given an internal and finger up bum (lovely) I'd managed it all without a single tear or stitch..... In fact as soon as I had internal I was up and had a wee.

We were on postnatal ward by 3am.

All in all it was a very different experience from what I would have liked?? I knew plan A (my birthing centre experience) was not 100% going to happen and I was fine with beling flexible. I am proud that I didn't give in and have an EPI but I was surprised when I found myself begging for Diamorphine!!

The labour ward MW's got me through it all as best they could and I am very grateful, they knew I was on the verge of giving up and they didn't let me - tough love worked a treat.

I had a wonderful pregnancy, hated labour but had a very good birth so I consider myself very lucky. The lovely MW I had in the birthing centre called me the next day (she tracked me down and called the MW station on my ward) as she wanted to find out what I'd had..she popped in to meet James as we were still there when she came back on shift. She was amazing!!

Here is our little man who were are totally in awe of.

Also I have done my Birthday gift duty for life now, every year I will remind OH that I gave him a baby for his Birthday LOL!

010.JPG

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Congratulations hun! What an epic story, completely in awe of you, I too stalled at 6cms and ended up on the drip but took the epi and I couldn't push Michael out without forceps :( Well done!!!!! He is gorgeous xxxxx

Aw hun.you did amazing you really did I am so proud of you it's unreal xxx he's so gorgeous

:whistle: fapatalking :whistle:

Congratulations hun!

He is just gorgeous!

XX

Such a fantastic gift for Daddy on his birthday and such a beautiful little boy <3 Congratulations hunnie xxxx

Congratulations hun on the birth of ur absolutely beautiful baby boy! :) That piccie of him is amazing! :) Thanks for sharing your birth story, I shed a tear of happiness for you.... :) Will look forward to following your parenting journal that im sure you will start when you get the time. :) xxxxxxxxxx

He is beautiful nat, welcome to motherhood!!! :)

Fab story hun and what an ending :love:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

He is stunning, and you were amazing huni, welcome James to the world xx

got a wee tear in my eye reading that. A lot of similarities to my story. Apart from the Epi!!

good on you. So when will be seeing you back in TTC again?? lol xx

Brilliant story, you did such a super job!! James is absolutely gorgeous! I just know you are such a proud mummy

Congratulations :) :)

Xxxxxxxx

He's utterly gorgeous! Congratulations!

They just melt your heart on first sight don't they! If your anything like me you'll spend the first week in floods of tears every 5 minutes at how perfect and wonderful your LO is!

Congratualtions again Nat! James is simply beautiful!!
What a labour story you have and I (literally) know how that love feels right now..amazing!! You had a tough time but ell done you for not caving in and keep going!

x

Great birth story nat! Well done :) and happy birthday to the men in it life :)

aww what a story, i hope the pain instantly went away for you, he is lovely xxxx

Thank you everyone

Aw hun.you did amazing you really did I am so proud of you it's unreal xxx he's so gorgeous

:whistle: fapatalking :whistle:

You did amazing Lynette - that was an epic labour thread (to match the epic labour LOL!!)

I still need to read through it actually

xxxxx

got a wee tear in my eye reading that. A lot of similarities to my story. Apart from the Epi!!

good on you. So when will be seeing you back in TTC again?? lol xx

I started saying "no more kids" immediately after the birth.

Now I am already saying "if we have another" :shock: :wall2:

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27