Guidelines for making up formula

DaisyDoo

Reaction score
I was just wondering, how many of you that formula feed make up your bottles exactly as the guidelines now state? I find it quite hard at times if im honest, i formula fed dd and made her feeds up quite differently. There are times when ive slipped back into old habits - such as when im out for the day etc.

Does anyone else do the same or is it just me?

I've been making up my formula in batches of 4 for nearly 6 months and have no problem!
I boil the kettle, let it cool for 20 mins then make up 4 bottles. I put them in freezing cold water to cool them down and then put them at the back of the fridge.
I never keep them for more than 24 hours but that never happens!!

I know it's not the recommended way but when he was young and hungry it just wasn't practical to wait half an hour to feed him so I've done it like that since then!

Hope this helps!

I make it the way guidelines state. I boil the kettle, wait 45 mins (she is on prescription formula) and then make the bottle up. She's in a routine now so I know exactly when she feeds. When she was younger and more erratic with her feeds (and when we go out for the day) I take the water out in a flask so it's kept at correct temp. It's never been a hassle doing it like this tbh.

I would say the greater percentage of people batch make bottles, even if they sterilise and add the water and heat / mix the powder when required. I have spoken to the midwife the Health visitor and the neonatal outreach team about this and they all said the same. That they have to recommend the guidelines but the biggest percentage of people don't make up every feed one at a time. End of the day you have to do your research, be sensible and find out what works for you x

we are pretty strict about this.

formula contains bacteria, so why some people think adding it to cool water is ok I will never know! to me its like playing Russian roulette with your baby.

we boil a kettle, leave for 30mins to cool then pour into a flask. That way the water is at the right temperature whenever LO decides she wants a bottle. We then make up the bottle and pop it into a jug of cold water to cool it to drinking temperature. It only takes a few mins.

We have a small flask for taking out an about with us too, we just have to pre-empt bottle time by around 20mins to give it time to cool naturally.

I agree with lynds tbh (think you were the one who recommended using a flask!). I just think guidelines are there for a reason so I will follow the professionals advice to me.

I used the flask method for going out and overnight feeds. Saves a lot of bother.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

Since day one ive boiled the kettle put it in the bottle and added powder and let it cool aboyt 45 mins before needed and overnight put in sn insulated bag.

I make mine in batches simply cos it is easier. We started off as per the guidlines, but little man was so unpredictable with his feeds it became impossible to predict when to make them.

We make bottles up in advance for the day. To begin with, I was boiling the kettle, leaving it to cool, filling bottles and put them in the fridge. However, my hv told me that putting them in the fridge is no longer advised and to leave them on the kitchen worktop at room temperature and to add formula and heat when needed.
We've been doing this for 8 months with no problems at all

xx

I always follow the guidelines, as the water has to be hot enough to kill any bacteria in the non-sterile formula, and would never forgive myself if something happened because I didn't follow the instructions. I have a tommee tippee flask, so I boil the kettle, leave for 30 mins and then seal, I can then make up a fresh feed wherever I am, just need some cold water to cool it. X

Hi all, bit of a late reply but might be useful to someone!

Thought I'd share the information I was given by midwives and hv's I saw. Ideally make up the bottles as you go but the key thing with making up formula is to make sure the water is 70degrees and above (so boiled water not left longer than 30mins in the kettle) so that the milk powder hits really hot water that kills any kind if bacteria that may be in the milk. There was an issue in France a few years ago. I make up 2 or 3 bottles in advance with just boiled water, cool quickly and put in fridge. The me/hv's said they have to say make each feed as needed but the really key thing is the temperature the milk hits the water at. Loads of people take cooled boiled water in bottles and then add the milk when they are out, this is supposed to be the worst thing you can do as the unsterilised milk is never becoming sterile! But, that said, their kids seem bonny and healthy so who knows? I think it's like most baby advice - listen to it all and then make your own mind up :)
X

If we are going out we boil the kettle, fill the bottle and take the formula separately. If its still warm when feeding due great otherwise we warm it.

In the house we boil the kettle for each feed. Fill the bottle, add the formula and then cool it in a jug of cold water. Its much quicker to cool it than heat it Xx

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

This is why I've been using cartons for the past 6 months :shock:

It's cost us a fortune and we've swapped over to powder very recently but with all the other Mummy worries at least I didn't have to worry about his bottles.

xxxxx

I agree with pudds.

I genuinely don't understand when people say its such a hassle making fresh etc as all you need to do is put it in a flask ready for next feed and then cool in a jug of water. I can't see how doing that is any more hassle than pre-making tbh.

I've been making up my formula in batches of 4 for nearly 6 months and have no problem!
I boil the kettle, let it cool for 20 mins then make up 4 bottles. I put them in freezing cold water to cool them down and then put them at the back of the fridge.
I never keep them for more than 24 hours but that never happens!!

I know it's not the recommended way but when he was young and hungry it just wasn't practical to wait half an hour to feed him so I've done it like that since then!

Hope this helps!

^^^wss

ruby eats roughly the same time everyday, and I tried making up bottles as we go but it's not practical, and I think a little cruel to make a baby wait at least 30mins! also I ended up having to put bottles in the freezer to cool down cos it took more like 50 mins from boiling to cool enough for lo to drink!

I know make up 5bottles at a time, they're kept in the fridge untill needed, never more than 24 hours and I don't feel like I'm torturing my baby for 5hours a day!

also, I didnt find it a hassle any more than making up bottles in advance,

mayb it's just my lo but she goes from 0-starving in 2mins, she wont even wait for the bottle warmer to warm up!

You don't have to wait 30 mins though to let it cool, just put it in a flask first thing in a morning and then the water is ready and waiting at right temp.

We have always done 4oz over cool boiled water then 2oz hot water with formula. I take bottles out and a flask then add powder when required and did this with reflux formula and now HIPP with never a problem and would do same with next LO.

It's really confusing but I just prefer this method :) xx

My lb goes from ok to hungry in a minute and will not wait one jot. We cant keep formula.longer than 45 mins anyway so after 20 minutes if we need more then we make more up....... for us waiting for it to cool heat up is not an option x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back