Gtt

carli91

Reaction score
Has anyone else had to have the gtt done? Had my 24 week midwife appointment yesterday and got told I had sugar in my wee even tho it was fmu. Just wondered what it involved?

Yeah, I had it with my first and will have to have it again this time round as dad is diabetic.

Basically, you have to fast (usually from the night before), then you go to the hospital, have bloods taken, then drink a sugary drink, wait in the hospital for a couple of hours, then have another blood test. Basically to check if you have gestational diabetes. Pretty straightforward test really, although I hated not having anything to eat!!!

Yeah that's what I'm worried about I got told I can't have anything from 10pm the night before and my midwife said I would be there until about 5pm so that's like 19 hours without food :/

Sorry for butting in but how can they expect you to do that when your pregnant? I had gtt but it was first thing in the morning so by 11 I could eat! When I was preg if I didn't eat regularly I would go faint! X

tapatalking x

Yeah that's what I'm worried about I got told I can't have anything from 10pm the night before and my midwife said I would be there until about 5pm so that's like 19 hours without food :/

GTTs are usually done in the morning. You might want to double-check the times. It needs to be a fasting blood test, but if you're having it in the afternoon, you shouldn't need to fast from the night before. I'd be objecting - there's no way I could go that long without food! I'd be shaking, then I'd be fainting!!

That's what I don't understand :/ but didn't think of it until I left, going to ring up and ask because that doesn't seem right xx

Yup, GTT is normally do e 1st thing after fasting overnight. I was only allowed water. Went in and they took blood and then gave me a glucose drink (it was sort if Limey so not sickly). I then had to wait around for about 2 hours. Then they took some more blood. I took and emergency sandwich with me so I had something to eat straight afterwards. I then went out for a big lunch :lol:

Basically they'll contact you with a couple of days if you have GT. if you have to wait longer for a letter it usually means you're ok.

My advice take a book or magazine or something to keep you occupied.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back