GTT Test

nikki_isme

Reaction score
Where did this come from?!

Yesterday I received a letter saying that I have been booked in for a gluten tolerance test - no one has mentioned this before! Does every pregnant women get sent this? It’s come totally out of the blue, and I’m confused as I had my bloods done a few weeks back and I spoke to a midwife yesterday about them all being fine, and I thought they included diabetes as part of the test. I then come home to this letter!

All these appointments are driving me insane. So this is another morning I will need to take time off for as I need to wait 2 hours after drinking the glucose. I’m so lucky my employer is nice! Can you tell I’m in a bit of a mood today lol

Not all pregnant women have this test. Do you have any family history of diabetes? I had to have the GTT last time because my dad's diabetic, even though all my bloods were perfectly normal. GTT is different to just including glucose in a series of blood tests - it checks how your body processes sugar by taking a reading when you've fasted and again 2 hours after having a sugary drink. I'm also not sure if glucose is included in regular bloods taken in pregnancy.

I've never heard of this - sorry. Have you spoke with your midwife about the letter? xx

My mum has diabetes, maybe that's why, although when they did my initial booking appointment nothing was mentioned about maybe needing the test. It's the lack of info that bothers me!

I have my 25 week appointment with my GP tomorrow, so I may ask her about it.

Last edited:
They should have discussed it with you a glucose tolerance test is given because of family history and/or raised BMI. I have both and mine came back that I had gestational diabetes. The test for me was fasting since midnight then a blood test, then a sugary drink wait 2 hours then another blood test. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back