growth scan

GBLiz

Reaction score
some of you have mentioned growth scans in 3rd tri...

is that standard practise in some authorities?

or is it because they're keeping an eye for a specific reason?

my LO is at the 90th percentile on the small side , which is fine but i'd like the reassurance that she's staying steady. I dont know if that qualifies me to request a growth scan (or even if i will be able to as a temporary resident in the area)

if i get really concerned i'll go private (for the third time :doh: ) but i just wondered if id be able to get it nhs

I think they only do them when they are concerned about the growth :hug:

how would they know if there became a cause for concern, would a midwife be able to tell if shes growing ok at a standard antenatal appointment? The sonographer i saw at 26 weeks said keep an eye on the growth... but the midwife said dont worry about it, babys fine! she does seem fine cos shes kicking about loads but i just wondered how theyd know if growth slowed now

They only do it if there is reason to suspect your little one might not be growing at the correct rate.

My HCG levels were 5X what they should have been when I had the triple test at 15 weeks which resulted in me having an amniocentesis to test for Down's syndrome at 17 weeks- thankfully negative for abnormalities. HCG levels can indicate restricted blood flow in the uterine arteries supplying the placenta. I had a special uterine doppler ultrasound at 24 weeks which showed bubs was growing fine and no probs with flow but if they had found restricted flow, I would have had to have regular growth scans for the remainder of my pregnancy.

I think if you are measuring on the large or small side, midwife may send you for a growth scan, a couple of weeks out either way is fine I think, but don't quote me on it!

Im having growth scan every two weeks cos they say i have low waters, but baby growing well and is spot on for dates.

I said to mw, if i hadnt of gone for the 4D scan they would never have known about the waters, so i think they should give a growth scan to every pregnant woman at about 30wks.

i think i may book a private one to be on the safe side, if i dont start looking more pregnant soon. :? it starts to play on your mind when people dont believe you're pregnant :?

i had one to see estimated size of baby come due date as my last baby got stuck and i was scared to try and deliver another large baby incase it fails. so to help me decide how im going to deliever to given me approz size.

have no idea on what centile this baby is, where do u find that out??? you were very slim and toned before, so im not suprised your not showing as much as others. but if ur worried have a pirvate scan.

I feel the same gymbabeliz my baby was below average size at our 20 week scan and the head measurement was only just within the line on the graph. I was also 2cm behind on my fundal at my 25 week midwife check (although i know the fundal is not accurate) i did mention my concerns to the midwife and she said she would keep an eye on it. I would love another scan to put my mind at rest about babys growth and im going to speak to my midwife again over the next few vists to see her thoughts. I would go private too but no where in my area does scans (at a reasonable price) so i have no choice but to rely on nhs.

You are a few weeks in front of me but im not really showing much you probaly have very strong stomach muscles which are holding everything in. :D

the lines on the growth charts give the percentiles- the middle line is 50th percentile - slap bang average, then at the bottom you have 90th and 97th percentiles (and same at the top going the other way for the bigger babies)

bloom glad to know im not the only one with a slightly littler little one and and even littler bump lol...hopefully it will make the birth easier for us? :pray:

oh i see the graphs in my notes, this baby has always been on the bottom line. i assume if its on the lines its normal. as we have these kind of graphs in our red books when they monitor babies growth and they say as long as it follows 1 line its fine. i think its only maybe a worry if baby goes below the lines??? im not sure

thats right as long as it follows on the same line its fine, but how would they know if its dropped down, without a scan? :?

gymbabeliz said:
thats right as long as it follows on the same line its fine, but how would they know if its dropped down, without a scan? :?

This is my concern :think:

Did they put the estimated weight of baby on your notes at your 20 week scan mine was 315g and i was nearly 21 weeks. Ive been trying not to worry about it but its always at the back of my mind. Im wondering if im not as far along as they thought. :think:

ive just had a nose on this and my babies are measuring 2weeks smaller than what they should be!!!!!!!! they r both 1.10 but should be 1.46......im guessing thats norm for twins then as the sonographer didnt raise any cause for concern!!!!

My baby is probaly going to have a huge growth spurt now in tri 3 and be a 9lber :rotfl:

Tattybear i would imagine twins will always be smaller im a twin but i cant remember how much i weighed but it was small. Not much help am i :D Do you know if you have to have a c section?

haha lol!!!!

No i dont know if i have to have one of they yet...they wont decide till im 30-32weeks i think! at the moment the leading twin is breach but been told there is still plenty of time for him to move about...i think he was moving about last night as this morning i am so so so sore across my whole belly like ive got a sprain :(

It must be so strange to be carrying twins i cant even imagine what it must be like with two of them kicking in there.

gymbabeliz have you decided to have a private scan?

Im seeing my midwife next week and im going to have a long chat to her about babys growth as its really bothering me now. Its so annoying that no where local to me does private scans :wall:

i havent decided...im seeing a midwife next week but it will be a new one and as im temporary in the area i dont think theyd do anything more for me than the minimum....

i might get one at something like 36 weeks....because if growth had slowed then they might do something about it..(like get the baby out!) .i dont think anything would be done at this stage anyway theyd just monitor it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back