Growth scan, baby measuring small

fcroxy

Reaction score
Had a growth scan today and baby is measuring quite small. Just under the 5th centile and estimated weight 4lb 5oz. Got another scan in 2 weeks to see if baby is gaining enough, if not then they will induce early. Anyone else had this and did their baby gain enough weight? Is there anything I can do or eat to help baby gain weight? Xx

I had this and turned out she just had a slow growth week. Next growth scan she was perfectly fine.
It happened with my little boy too only I ended up being induced with him at 36 weeks due to static growth as the placenta had failed. Hope everything goes ok for u x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MW feared Jackson would be small and sent us for a growth scan and at 41w I measured 37! I was told that he would be tiny and he was 7lb 3 and a decent length so either the scan was off or he caught up fast.

I don't think there's much you can do to speed up growth process but in the end they grow all different rates try not to worry too much until the next scan. 2 weeks is a long time in womb time.

xxxxx

My little boy was measuring under the 5th centile from 30 weeks, I had done many scans and so much worry about it but he was consistently following around the 5th centile. The day before he was born at 37+4wks he measured 5lb 11oz and was 6lb 1oz so quite a few oz bigger and on the 8th centile. He is now 7 weeks and still following the 2nd centile so just a small but healthy baby. It could be baby is just small and nothing is wrong. I was induced at 37+5 weeks but not because of his size but recurrent reduced movements, had been in 8 times and 3 times in the 2 days before he was born so they thought it was safer to get him out xx
Edit to add:
33+5wks - 4lb 1oz
35+4wks - 4lb 11oz

I had growth issues earlier in this pregnancy - at 30 weeks baby was on the 4th centile but growth has now picked up and at 38 weeks it's around the 50th. Try not to worry as one scan in isolation doesn't tell you much and if there are some growth issues they are keeping an eye and will be able to intervene if necessary. Just keep a close eye on your movements as the dr told me they are a much better indicator than any scan or monitoring. All the best xx

Thanks for the replies. I did think baby may be small as I've had terrible sickness from about 28 weeks and haven't been able to keep much down, but didn't think baby was so small. Hopefully at the next scan it'll show a decent weight gain. I've been having loads of movements thankfully but the consultant did say if I had any reduced movements at all to contact the hospital xx

It doesn't sound that small to me for being 34 weeks.

My first baby was induced at 37 weeks due to Cholestasis, never had any issue with size at the growth scans but was 5lb 14oz born.

Babies are supposed to gain up to a pound a week in the last 3 weeks so if they think your baby is already 4lbs with another 6 weeks to go you could easily have a 7lb+ baby.

That's even assuming the growth scan is right, which they aren't always.

I haven't had scans so they have no idea and I'm measuring 2-3cm smaller than gestation but no one is worried, myself included. I'm happy with movements and just believe some babies are smaller than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back