Growth chart in maternity notes

fluffycat

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how my baby is considered a big baby when I am measuring 34cm at 34+5? According to my chart the baby is on route to becoming 10lb!!
Thanks in advance

Xx

Who has said its a big baby? Who told you it's getting on for 10lb? As far as I'm aware, the chart is only to plot the growth of the baby to ensure he/she is growing week by week and in no way determines the size...

34cm sounds normal to me? I was always told you should be roughly the same cm that you are in weeks

That's what I thot but apparantly at 34 weeks I'm following the top line and if I continue to measure up to the top line it's going to be at least 9lb 5oz, that's what my midwife said but I too had thot that 34 weeks and 34cm was just normal. It's so confusing think I'm going to ignore my chart now. Xx

Not sure why your midwife would have told you that, I'm no expert but have been told several times that size of baby can't really be determined as bump could be carrying extra weight from water retention, extra sac fluid, fat, etc... x

It's the new style chart Hun I'm the same. I got sent for a growth scan but like u I'm measuring on my weeks everytime. At 36 weeks he weighs 6lb 10 so big but not massive. The midwife said a lot of people are having trouble with the chart being inaccurate xx

I've been measuring a week 'behind' and it's plotted as being right in the middle (average).

I think fundal height only measures the uterus though and has little baring on the size of the baby because like Kitty said you could be carrying more fluid (or conversely the bump /uterus could be small but "all baby").

Then surely it's ridiculous for them to even plot it on a chart anyways? Lol. Have heard so many people being told it's a big baby for it to come out at like 6 or 7lb. Xx

My MW explained that as long as growth is steady it isnt that important. To her it is a red flag if your growth rate suddenly jumps up or down on the chart as that can indicate a problem.

Is this the chart you're using?

Your midwife/ you are right. You are on the 90th percentile, and if baby continues to stay on the top line they will 'LIKELY' be born around 9lb 3. I say 'likely' as these charts aren't great at predicting babies birth weight.

So you're having a 'bigger' baby because they are on the top line. But you're within normal ranges so are perfectly fine.

But like other people have said some people just carry more water etc and the baby comes out weighing 6lb.

They use these charts to make sure the baby is growing steadily. They expect you to stay around the same line. With no sudden growth spurts or drops. With my first my daughter stopped growing and no one noticed for a while as I wasn't being measured at the right stages. When I did finally get measured my fundal height was way below the 10th percentile and they induced me at 37+4, she was born weighing 4lbs 9.

If no one had noticed the worst could have happened. But luckily I have a beautiful daughter :)

I would be happy they're looking after you and stop stressing :) baby is growing lovely and that's all that matters :) good luck! Xx
0ec2f301e822aee876ac3daea34ebff5.jpg

My MW explained that as long as growth is steady it isnt that important. To her it is a red flag if your growth rate suddenly jumps up or down on the chart as that can indicate a problem.

Yes, I was measured today and my bump is only measuring 31.5cm which is only a cm over what it was 3 weeks ago.

However on the growth chart it's between the 10th & 50th centiles, same as my 28 week plot (even though then it was only measuring 1cm less so 27cm).

But basically, other than the one 3 weeks ago where it was actually a bit higher on the chart and only slightly under the 50th centile, going purely by the 28 week measurements and today's, my bump is following the same curve and is about 25% (half way between 10 & 50 both times)

MW said as long as it doesn't start dropping lower on the charts like dropping onto or below the 10th percentile it'd be ok.
And baby is really active so I'm not worried.

Slb....Yeah thanks that's the chart they are using, just going to ignore it now. As long as my belly is growing steady then I'm happy....I don't believe they can predict weigh accurately until baby is out. Xx

DS was 11lbs but I measured 5 weeks ahead on the chart, lol.

Heard many stories about medical profs. saying that women would have big babies and then all being normal, then some saying, your baby's measuring small and the baby coming out at 9 and a half lbs plus!
I think they have to explain things and try to be sure, just in case, but often the scans and measurements are slightly out.
I had a student MW measure my bump and she asked me where they normally measured from(!) which I didn't know as only just started measuring bump and then, not even sure she got it right! Xx

I had a growth scan with my daughter and she was estimated to be 5lbs. She was born 4 days later weighing 4lbs 9. So pretty accurate. But I've heard horror stories of them being completely wrong xx

Last time, I always followed 25th centile line, My bump stopped growing at 30/32 weeks. I had growth scans every 2 weeks until I gave birth at 38 weeks (for Severe SPD not growth problems) and the scans always showed baby at right measurements. Apparently I just carried very well. Bbay was then born at 6lb 10oz on the 9th dropped to 2nd due to jaundice. Then he steadily followed 25th again all the way until 10 months old. I stopped getting him weighed when I went back to work.
Just goes to show though that the antenatal plotting isn't accurate seen as they effectively classed me as no growth but baby was still growing, it was just my bump that wasn't xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back