group b strep

Shepherdess

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've no idea where to post this but hoping someone can help me

My oh and I are ttc baby 2. I found out a while a go I carry group b strep and was told if I fall pregnant again I'll need antibiotics in Labour.

However I've since done a bit more reading which says that it can also cause miscarriage and stillbirth which would obviously happen before I have the chance to have antibiotics in Labour. My question is is there anything that can be done to prevent the infection causing miscarriage or still birth? I couldn't really find info on prevention when I was reading and it's got me a bit scared

Hi shepherdess, no need to worry - group b strep comes and goes and does no harm to you. As far as I'm aware, it potentially only causes a problem if present during labour, when it could be passed onto baby.

When you fall pregnant (sending baby dust to you), you can get a private test, usually done quite late on, and if positive, you will be given a course of intravenous antibiotics during labour and baby will be monitored for 24 hours after birth.

I opted to get the test with my first and it was positive. My waters broke early (a sign of group b strep), and I was given the antibiotics and thankfully all was well. I'm now pregnant with my 2nd and was seen by a consultant who has advised I'm no more likely to have group b strep this time around just because I had it last time.

I'll be getting the test again, it costs around £30, which is nothing compared to the peace of mind it will give me.

Wishing you all the best on your ttc journey and beyond.

A lot of people have this and it comes and goes. Some people think it is a natural thing to have in our systems which is quite possible. A positive swab for strep b doesn't really mean anything unless it is late in pregnancy as occasionally it can cause an infection in newborns which can be serious. So if you have a positive swab late in pregnancy you will be offered antibiotics during labour to protect the baby. If you have a positive swab early in pregnancy it can be repeated later on to see if there is still strep b there. If it is negative nothing needs to be done. If it is still positive won't be given any treatment except antibiotics in labour which is to pass protection to the baby before it is born.

If your urine is found positive for strep b it is not natural and means it has caused an infection in your urinary track.You will be treated for a UTI. Some doctors think if you have had this kind of infection once it means you are more prone to them so advise antibiotics in labour from then on as a precaution. So maybe that is what your doctor meant? Other doctors will just check again for strep b in further pregnancies and if it's negative don't do anything.

Last edited:
Everyone carries this but it lays dormant. One minute you can have it and then a week later you don't. My hospital don't test for it for this reason but moniter you during labour. If they want to treat you though that's good and must put your mind at ease x

I have GBS I'm due in 11 days i also had it in my first pregnancy there were no complications after, as its in my urine this time I was treated with oral antibiotics at 12 weeks, now I will get iv antibiotics in labour, baby will b monitored after and if needed she will get antibiotics too, it is a little daunting but if they are aware of it then that's a good thing, I have had miscarriages but docs don't think there's a link

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back