Group b strep????

Sleepy sue

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Does anyone know why they don't routine test for it in the uk? You would think they would especially as they test for everything else!!
Can you pay for the test x

They don't do it routinely because of costs I believe. You can pay to get it done x

Hi sleepy sue

My friend phoned me the other morning, she had been listening to something on the radio talking about the issue of group b strep in the UK and the fact that it should be routinely tested for but isn't. Apparently you can get tested privately from 36 weeks for about £35. I'll definitely be looking into that.

Last edited:
I've done a bit of a google and the test kits are free you just pay the labs to actually complete results etc. It just doesn't make sense that we aren't tested routinely especially when u think of all the tests we do go through!
I had to have a gtt test because mom and nan both had diabetes but both in their 70s when it came on. If I'd had a choice I'd have preferred the strep test which I'm sure would of been cheaper.

It just doesn't seem fair people are put at risk and you rely on google to find out info instead of being offered a test and info on the nhs even if you had to pay for it like a prescription most women would agree.

Sorry RANT over it must be lack of sleep plus pg hormones x x

My test was done as routine as I was suffering from Thrush in the early stages off pregnancy.

I tested positive which they were going to retest at 36 weeks but decided against it and will swab when im in labour as I was informed it can go and then come back or just stay with you.

It is all down to cost though with what my Midwife was saying

Can you request it to be done as you go into labour?
It's shocking that money plays such a major part in our health care system x

Can you request it to be done as you go into labour?
It's shocking that money plays such a major part in our health care system x

I would ask your midwife. I have had it plastered all over my notes that I need to be tested but it would be worth asking.

u can have a test before u go into labour or at least thats what i was told! with ur second baby they will just assume u have it again and take the precausionary (sp) measures anyway! i had a slight bleed during pregnancy number 1 and thats when they found it!

I asked about the private test and my mw put me off as she said the main reason they dont do it is because you can test false positive and false neg very easy so its too unreliable, also said u could test neg at 38 weeks think all is ok and still have it on delivery day so itss pretty much just a waste of time. to be honest i did still want to do it but she just fobbed me off so im planning on asking to be tested as soon as i go in in labour as thats the most important time i think,

I asked about this in 3rd tri and they said they wouldn't routinely test. Also if I did have it they wouldn't treat it anyway. Turns out I did have it and had to have 3 doses of antibiotics in labour :roll: x

Princess, so they check for it in labour? How dangerous is it? Iv not really thought about it but not im worried! xxx

Hi hun I ordered my test kit from this site http://www.medisave.co.uk/group-b-s...-p-7896.html?gclid=CNPTleP2vq4CFaQmtAodMBxkDQ and some info is here http://www.gbss.org.uk/

I'm quite a worrier and I wanted this done to put my mind at rest more than anything. The company send a letter to you and your doctor to say whether or not you have group b strep and you also receive a text before the letter. I think I got my results within a week?

All I knew was that if you have it and give birth vaginally it could be passed onto baby and cause some complications: Early-onset GBS disease can cause sepsis (an infection in the blood), pneumonia, and, less frequently, meningitis. Some of these babies, particularly those with meningitis, will have long-term health problems such as hearing or vision loss, cerebral palsy, or developmental disabilities, and about 5 percent won't survive.

I hope I don't scare anybody with this just wana give some helpful info as it helped me at the time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back