Green poos? Oh no, its happening again! *Update on pg 1*

SaraLouise

Reaction score
So after starting to wean Harrison off expressed feeds after boob, we are back to starting to get green poos which means too much foremilk & not enough hindmilk. Which means he won't be gaining weight again! I don't understand it! I really thought his latch was improving & his feeds seemed to be getting longer, and we had a whole day of exclusively boob & was getting lovely yellow poos. I guess I now have to go back to expressing every after every feed & giving to it via bottle :( I'm so disheartened :(

Update

So after battling green poos and expressing and everything for few days I decided to just chill out..

I completely stopped expressing (as I thought that expressing was causing a bit of an oversupply and therefore more foremilk) and just exclusively fed from boob for 3 days - something I've not done since he was born! I had the inevitable engorgement for the first day, and a slight panic that he wasn't getting enough by the 2nd, but by the 3rd day his poo was back to being lovely bright yellow and its been that way since! Now I'm only expressing if I'm going out and its all feeling much easier. I don't feel like I'm attached to the pump all day, and he seems to being enjoying feeding more as its easier for him to get the milk out.

I'm so happy!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do u let him just suckle for a while? Don't get down huni, this whole breastfeeding thing is a nightmare isn't it, but I think we all struggle in different ways.

Keep with the expressing if u have to, but also let him on the boob whenever u get chance, and let him stay on there as long as he wants to, even if he's not actually swallowing anything, the suckling thing can help to encourage ur milk and they do get some through even tho u can't hear the swallowing x

I'm letting him have boob whenever he wants & letting him suckle for as long as he wants but this is the problem we had last time. As soon as the foremilk runs out & he's got to work harder to get the hindmilk he gives up and pulls himself off. So I was presuming by this that he had finished.

The thing is he is feeding for like 20-30 minutes at a time now. So I really though he was working through the foremilk and getting the hindmilk, I guess not :(

On the brightside Lau, he almost latched without the shield yesterday. We were having skin to skin & he just found the nipple himself. He probably did like 4 or 5 suckles, but for him that's amazing!

Only a suggestion and don't know if would help but could you express a bit first so that when he latches on and starts feeding the hindmilk comes through sooner and he might not be so tired of sucking. Then you could give him the watery milk by bottle.
Either way sounds like you'll have to express a bit again. But you're doing really well, you've persevered over the past 4 weeks and you're doing everything you can to carrying on breastfeeding. Can you believe that on Monday our babies will be a month old. x

I know its crazy! I am starting to feel a bit like a mum now & not just someone who's looking after him lol, but it has definitely taking this long!

I would suggest expressing a bit first then trying to latch him on, thats what thedoctor suggested to me when my boy was fussy, so he filled up with hindmilk. Hope things get easier for you soon xx

Does green poos mean no hindmilk? Even at 7 weeks? - I didnt even know this. LO has had green poos last week or two.x

See how the poos go over the next few days don't change anything yet, if they are consistently green then maybe try and express a bit off before feeding. I had oversupply so baby would get full up on foremilk. Eventually supply settled and things resolved, it may just right itself.

have you tried expressing off some foremilk first to get the hindmilk in instead so he gets less foremilk in his feed time?

See how the poos go over the next few days don't change anything yet, if they are consistently green then maybe try and express a bit off before feeding. I had oversupply so baby would get full up on foremilk. Eventually supply settled and things resolved, it may just right itself.

This was me too, I worried H wasn't getting any hind milk because he doesn't feed much longer then 8mins at a time but my HV told me how my body and milk will adapt to what he needs. H has gained weight every week so im not worried. Every now and then he will have a big of a greenish poo. When he was about 5weeks we had green poo for about 4 days after that its mostly yellow. He's now 11 weeks.

Does green poos mean no hindmilk? Even at 7 weeks? - I didnt even know this. LO has had green poos last week or two.x

Green poos can be caused by a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's just a slight virus. If it happens once in a while only it's nothing to worry about. For us green poos were constant and contained large amounts of mucus. It turned out to be food allergies and has gone away since I made changes in my diet.

Okay I have no idea what's going on! His poop is changing from bright yellow in one nappy to green the next & then back to yellow again.

This morning there was yellow & green poop in the same nappy!? What's going on??

Try not to worry the green ones may mean he is full up on the foremilk annd maybe related to the time of day or changes in your milk supply. It tended to be variable for me as my morning supply was always much higher and by afternoon evening it had settled so he could reach the hindmilk by afternoon evening time. Not a lot you can do just feed on demand and wait for supply to settle. Assuming weight gain is ok. Also after a growth spurt I used to have green poos for a few days x

Updated x

Yay! You're doing brilliantly hun....sticking at it through your difficulties is amazing :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back