Grant Rant

The only thing I have to say is that I've noticed mentioned once or twice that foreigners come to this country and get benefits......they don't without either being here a certain length of time or paying into the system.

Yes the grant system is flawed but when they did the £250 trustfund for ALL children that went tits up and now no-one gets it so swings and roundabouts I think

We are currently on a major shake up of the benefits system which it's in desperate need for so we can only wait and see what happens there

The new benefit system started rolling out in April but will take something like 2 years to complete.

I know how bad it's been and that goes for all benefits. We have been an easy to claim country but someone from abroad can arrive on Monday am and claim benefits in the afternoon but they won't get any from us, we can however pay benefits which we claim back from their country but that wouldn't be paid until the repayment agreement is in place.
I can honestly say we pay more to people pulling a fast one on sickness benefit than we do to people from other countries

Edit: when I talk about them paying into the system I mean, they come to the ul to work and pay taxes on earnings. If the have paid enough national insurance in the 2 tax years before they claim they can get basic single rate benefit for 6 months

We work our backsides of and OUR tax money goes to the jobless. Thats not fair. Some people abuse the money system. Why is it fair that mist people get given 400 as part of rent and 500 to help being a first time mum. Why cant all of us get the grant?

I totally agree with you, although I am on the benefit system I'm not one of those idiots that abuse it (neither is my OH) but I think EVERY new mother should get the grant not just us. If I could I'd share it with you unfortunate ladies. :( x

if every nes mother got it youd be complaining that the rich mothers who earn a phenomemal amount are stealing from the pooor

My opinion is that yes it would be nice if everyone would be entitled to this, but there isn't an endless pot of money in this country and so lines need to be drawn somewhere. I would rather my taxes go to a woman and her baby who really need this grant to actually get by, rather than to people who it would just be helpful to have.

The only thing I have to say is that I've noticed mentioned once or twice that foreigners come to this country and get benefits......they don't without either being here a certain length of time or paying into the system.

Yes the grant system is flawed but when they did the £250 trustfund for ALL children that went tits up and now no-one gets it so swings and roundabouts I think

We are currently on a major shake up of the benefits system which it's in desperate need for so we can only wait and see what happens there

I dont mean my next reply in argument at all, more an enquirey. Also a bit off topic..My best friend and her mother probide temporary housing for people waiting to move into council homes, mostly foreigners. What she sees makes her sick, these people are getting televisions, teatowels, pots and pans, bed sheets and bed clothes all at their command and funded by the government. She provides these homes in Birmingham so I dont know if its a county thing or what but you seem to know what your talkng about so I wondered if you could shed some light? In the time I got JSA after redundancy I was offered diddly squat and had no right to ask.
Ive nothing against foreigners coming to this country, my grandfather came as an asylum seeker from Hungary after the revolution where he was a sergeant major and he worked from the week he arrived till he hit 70. He owns his home and has mire than paid his way. (Good old fashioned eastern European work ethic!) If I had my way we'd have morw like him and send the entitled british system-fiddlers there!

I have been told I should be entitiled to £67 a week in working tax credits which will be an absolute god send for us as we both have a very low wage and our completely skint and in debt most of the time! Terrified of what state we will be in when I am on maternity leave, going to be horrendous! But we still do not qualify for the £500 grant :( x

I have been told I should be entitiled to £67 a week in working tax credits which will be an absolute god send for us as we both have a very low wage and our completely skint and in debt most of the time! Terrified of what state we will be in when I am on maternity leave, going to be horrendous! But we still do not qualify for the £500 grant :( x

If youre entitled to working tax credits I thought you were entitled to the grant?

If youre entitled to working tax credits I thought you were entitled to the grant?

Apparently only if disability plays into your tax credits which it doesn't :(

I dont mean my next reply in argument at all, more an enquirey. Also a bit off topic..My best friend and her mother probide temporary housing for people waiting to move into council homes, mostly foreigners. What she sees makes her sick, these people are getting televisions, teatowels, pots and pans, bed sheets and bed clothes all at their command and funded by the government. She provides these homes in Birmingham so I dont know if its a county thing or what but you seem to know what your talkng about so I wondered if you could shed some light? In the time I got JSA after redundancy I was offered diddly squat and had no right to ask.
Ive nothing against foreigners coming to this country, my grandfather came as an asylum seeker from Hungary after the revolution where he was a sergeant major and he worked from the week he arrived till he hit 70. He owns his home and has mire than paid his way. (Good old fashioned eastern European work ethic!) If I had my way we'd have morw like him and send the entitled british system-fiddlers there!

It all depends.... They wouldn't get any more for being foreign if they have been here a while a made a life in this country they would get the same rates as anyone else obviously depending on circumstances, again I do not know your when you were made redundant but for each benefit (JSA/ESA) there are 2 types. One on your national insurance contributions and one on household income.
If they have only just arrived they very likely wont get anything or be entitled to work get housing however and this is always the big thing, the can get an allowance from the home office during there asylum application/appeal I don't know much about this I'm afraid. Also if they are claiming in their own country and come here looking for work then their country still pays them benefits but we are the middle men so get it back. They are paid very well on job seekers for example and once converted on the exchange rate can get 3 times as much as we would a week

Again it all really depends on circumstance etc but we (job centre) do not pay easily to foreigners. Yes the system is flawed but isn't any system

Also part of the problem
Is we have 5 government departments dealing with a multitude of benefits and these systems are all supposed to talk to each other which the dont or do but wrongly
Universal credit is one department taking responsibility for all of these to make it easier and fairer to pay what is owed to those its owed to

We work our backsides of and OUR tax money goes to the jobless. Thats not fair. Some people abuse the money system. Why is it fair that mist people get given 400 as part of rent and 500 to help being a first time mum. Why cant all of us get the grant?

I totally agree with you, although I am on the benefit system I'm not one of those idiots that abuse it (neither is my OH) but I think EVERY new mother should get the grant not just us. If I could I'd share it with you unfortunate ladies. :( x

if every nes mother got it youd be complaining that the rich mothers who earn a phenomemal amount are stealing from the pooor

I'm sorry but could you be any more insulting for absolutely no reason at all? Bit harsh that love. I don't agree that only benefit system users should get it and nobody else so I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me about my opinions and my feelings. I think I know how I feel and what I think about something more than you would, you don't even know me so don't you dare say crap like that about me thank you very much! :talkhand:

What you just said was bang out of order!

If you mean that for me I was meaning that what would happen if everyone got it we would be complaining that those who didnt NEED it got it and it was a waste. It wasnt aimed at you thinking that.

If you mean that for me I was meaning that what would happen if everyone got it we would be complaining that those who didnt NEED it got it and it was a waste. It wasnt aimed at you thinking that.

It doesn't matter if you "NEED" it or not! It still helps you along the way EVERYONE should get it simple as that, it is UNFAIR to disqualify people just cos they work!

It doesn't matter if you "NEED" it or not! It still helps you along the way EVERYONE should get it simple as that, it is UNFAIR to disqualify people just cos they work!

I think your starting to get very heated about something that doesn't need to be. Squeakz has a fair point as there was alot of talk over why the wealth should get child benefit and winter fuel payments when they really don't need them. I didn't see it aimed at you at all

No but as a country we couldnt afford to do that and make cuts elsewhere which would effect us. Maybe in health or education.....transport who knows so I think there should be cut off points but maybe evaluate situations on a more personal each case as it comes. Thats my opinion. Tbh I think im gonna step away from this because to be quite frank I dont appreciate such an aggressive comment. If you felt you disagreed then you should have handled it in a calmer manner. Maybe ask a question to find out more or just accept that that was my opinion. I didnt intend for it to be what YOU personally was thinking moreso the 'royal' you and if that was misunderstood or my comment was unclear then I apologise

No need to apologise hun. You're entitled to your opinion and you shouldn't be getting abuse for it. This, once again, is getting out of hand! Let's not get nasty just because we don't agree with someone else's point of view. We're all in this together.

Laura you really did jump the gun there. The point, and im putting it very plainly, was that you cant please everyone and there will always flaws.

Tinks, thanks for trying to explain but to he honest it still a little over my head.

I think the biggest problem, and I believe this is currently being tackled by the new benefit (?), is thay everything's coming out of different pots.

For example, (a different sector to topic) at my OHs residential home the clients get 24hr care, (learning disabilities and mental health), food, board, entertainment. However, government legislation want to shut those places down for what would 'appear' to be cheaper. However, the funding would then come from so many pots, that the new proposed care will end up costing the taxpayer TEN times as much.

A number of council members own the establishments that will be deemed suitable for these clients-big shock.
Different councils, different levels of corruption...The rich will keep getting richer, the poor will continue to get poor and as ever, the workers will pay for it to happen :(

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sorry for my constant god-awful spelling mistakes! Fat thumbs....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Personally I think if someone earnt say 150k a year and was proved to have plenty of spare cash left a month after all their bills, food, mortgage etc etc yet they still got the grant I would probably be questioning why there were entitled to it. So there does have to be a cut off point somewhere but I do think they should up the cut off point a bit to allow people that earn a fairly modest wage and don't have loads of spare cash to receive it.

Between me and OH we only earn about 26k between us per annum after tax etc and as we all know that doesn't get you very far these days when you spend your entire months wages on your £200 electric bills and £500 rent, buying a new car after yours goes bang etc etc etc. £500 would make a huge difference to us and our baby but we are not entitled as we work full-time and don't receive the right benefits. It does suck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back