GP appt - TTC #2

Melanie3103

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a GP appt this morning and am shellshocked!

As I am 40 in March and have had one child (hes 22m old) - they werent interested!

What a waste of time!!! They wont even test for anything wrong! As theres no point as they wont 'treat me' if find anything!! NHS fertility treatment is saved for those under 40 who have NO children at all.

Shocked! So upset... Been trying to conceive no 2 since January 2015... So just over a year and nothing is happening. I pee on OPK and think I ovulate every cycle but cant be sure of course.

Do u all chart/temp?? At a loss as what to do next...
X

I am so sorry to hear they have been like this with you. Would they not even give you 21 day bloods to see if youre actually Ovulating?

I said would they not even do blood tests - she shrugged and said no point!! :-(

That is shocking!
I hope you get this resolved soon and here is hoping for your BFP. Dont give up :D
I dont personally chart but I believe that is a better way of finding out if you have actually Ovulated :)

That is shocking!
I hope you get this resolved soon and here is hoping for your BFP. Dont give up :D
I dont personally chart but I believe that is a better way of finding out if you have actually Ovulated :)

Yeah I think I might buy a thermometer and try that... thank you xx

Maybe see a private doc and try Clomid.

It shouldn't cost too much and might help.

Xx

Maybe see a private doc and try Clomid.

It shouldn't cost too much and might help.

Xx

Can I ask... what does Clomid actually do ?

If it's a uterus that is too thin (ie embryo cannot embed) which is probably the issue according to my age, as the GP said.... wonder if Clomid help thicken or ??

You probably already know clomid is a pill taken to boost ovulation but it also gives all the other parts of your cycle a bit of a kick up the arse too!

Progesterone is what maintains the endometrium after ovulation and clomid should also boost progesterone levels as well as making you OV one or more eggs.

It's the easiest and cheapest thing worth trying, if you see someone privately then they may give you progesterone suppositories too to help with the lining further.

Where are you based?

Xx

Yeah where do you live Melanie? I'm absolutely shocked they have dismissed you like that.

I live in Surrey and I went to the GP in August 2015. I'd said I'd been trying for 1 year but I was just shy of that. I also admitted that I had 1 very early miscarriage in Jan 2015 so she knew I had actually been able to conceive at least once in that time but she was more than happy for me to have to blood tests and also refer me to the fertility clinic. My husband did the sperm test too.
By the time I had the appointment at the fertility clinic I'd had another chemical pregnancy which I told them about but I was still given the internal scan and I was offered the dye through the fallopian tubes which I said I would decide if I wanted by the next appointment but I fell twice again before the 2nd appointment.
Now I've just been to the doctors again and I have been referred straight away back to the clinic for recurrent loss. They honestly couldn't have been more helpful and compassionate.

I am absolutely shocked that some areas just offer no support can you get an appointment with another GP and explain that you know of people who are being helped who already have children on the nhs. I've never been told once that I would have to pay privately for any treatment or medication.
If they can at least investigate for you then if you find out you have problem or something that medication would help with then you can decide to pay privately for that.

I'm so sorry your going through this. Did it take you long to conceive your 1st child at all?

xxx

Im in Hampshire (Farnborough).

Conceived first child within 3months of trying.

Oh god Melanie I'm in Guildford so not far from you at all.
I'm being seen at the Royal Surrey.

I really think you should get another appointment with another doctor, is that a possible option?

I was the same with first child too conceived him straight away.

It's so frustrating isn't it. I now know that when I didn't conceive between Jan 2015 and Aug15 I was very stressed. I moved house but the situation was complicated when we moved and my sister was left homeless as a house she was buying fell through and we were moving into her house. Also work became more stressful with people leaving and me picking up more responsibility. I don't know if you are going though anything stressful that can be affecting your chances, at the time I didn't feel stressed but looking back I was. Also I think I was kidding myself that were having sex more than we were. Think because we had got pregnant so quickly previously and I also had another previous pregnancy when we were actively trying not to get pregnant.

Have you thought about a more holistic approach if the doctor isn't going to be of any help. Accupunture might help. I even started eating 4 brasil nuts a day apparently they help the lining of womb as that was concerning me when I kept having chemicals.

Good luck hun and there are many of us here who are also going through the same journey.

If its any consolation they have found nothing up with me.

xx

Oh god Melanie I'm in Guildford so not far from you at all.
I'm being seen at the Royal Surrey.

I really think you should get another appointment with another doctor, is that a possible option?

I was the same with first child too conceived him straight away.

It's so frustrating isn't it. I now know that when I didn't conceive between Jan 2015 and Aug15 I was very stressed. I moved house but the situation was complicated when we moved and my sister was left homeless as a house she was buying fell through and we were moving into her house. Also work became more stressful with people leaving and me picking up more responsibility. I don't know if you are going though anything stressful that can be affecting your chances, at the time I didn't feel stressed but looking back I was. Also I think I was kidding myself that were having sex more than we were. Think because we had got pregnant so quickly previously and I also had another previous pregnancy when we were actively trying not to get pregnant.

Have you thought about a more holistic approach if the doctor isn't going to be of any help. Accupunture might help. I even started eating 4 brasil nuts a day apparently they help the lining of womb as that was concerning me when I kept having chemicals.

Good luck hun and there are many of us here who are also going through the same journey.

If its any consolation they have found nothing up with me.

xx

Ooo the brazil nuts - thats worth a shot (love them too lol). Just 4 per day you say? The GP did mention that with "my age group" its more about the uterus lining than the eggs which surprised me. So i guess its worth a shot. Also going to try evening primrose oil up to ovulation. What else do u do? Good to share ?

Not sure about acupuncture - makes me queasy thinking about it. But maybe.

Dont think i'm particularly stressed, but i guess u never know. Ive been busy - setting up a childminding business and we moved house in July 2015, but neither seemed very stressful - all pretty smooth sailing - and i love working for myself.

I guess TTC is stressful in itself - so its hard not to stress out about it. Plus helpful GPs (not!) have added to the pressure. If it doesnt happen naturally we have no other options available.

Sigh...

Will see what happens this month - AF is due this weekend/early next week. Assuming it doesnt arrive i'll make a second appt with my GP (diff one)..

X

Meant to say - thanks for taking the time to reply. I wish u lots of luck - sorry to hear about all the chemical losses. :-(

Hope its your time soon xx

Do you know I can't for life of me remember where I even read about the brasil nuts but I started that around 4/5 months ago, nut I promise I did read it LOL. That's what I thought with the brasils as well like you it's worth a shot as I like to snack on nuts anyway so I just make sure I take 4 to work with me sometimes have a few more. I have run out though.

I'm going to start with the evening primrose as well is that good for the lining.

I take viridian pro conception food supplements (i prefer them to artificial vitamins as I don't think the artificial ones are good for us and you don't absorb much anyway from them.) I also take a vaginal probiotic because sometimes I get mild thrush after period and I was worried maybe I was getting mild infections which were causing chemicals. I've not had any thrush since I've been taking them which is good.

I've heard pre seed is meant to be really good I'm thinking of that for next month but its £20! And like I've seen on here a few times cough medicine up to ovulation.
I've been looking at lot of zita West stuff was thinking of buying her book how to get pregnant or her cook book.

Do you drink a lot of coffee, I love it! I really want to stop drinking it but not sure of the benefits if I do. This will be the hardest thing for me to do. The fertility clinic did tell me to cut down.

Last few months we massively increased our intake of sex I was having at least every other day from cd8 and every day around the fertile window right up to AF. That's when I conceived in November.

Stress is hard as you often don't know you are stressed when you are but I wouldn't even know how to relax if I was.

I think I might have AF due around the same time as you but not sure as I MC earlier this month. Hope yours doesn't come though hun.

And def go to a different GP!

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back