Got an issue... Sleep Paralysis

Plaztikman

Reaction score
I suffer from something called Sleep Paralysis

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Basically, when you sleep, your brain release a fluid which paralises you to stop acting out your dream, when you wake up, this clears a few seconds before, then you get up.

with me, I wake up before its cleared, so when I wake up, I'm paralysed (can't move any part of my body) for a good few minutes until this has cleared.

What's the issue?

For me, it tends to be triggered when I have naps in the day, or broken sleep patterns, having a baby is going to cause this.

I don't know what to do :( -

It's kinda weird, u ever had it when your dropping off to sleep and u hear a loud noise and wake up, like ur body moves and u jump? we'll that's when it kicks in, only I can't move after that, I'm paralysed for a few mins, then after I have regained control of my body, I try to nod off again, and same again, loud noise and paralysed, can happen several times a night, when baby is here my sleep is going to be all over the place, I'm gna be screwed :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Have you ever been to a sleep clinic or tried hypnotherapy it sounds horrible you poor thing .,

Have you ever been to a sleep clinic or tried hypnotherapy it sounds horrible you poor thing .,

I've spoke to people over the phone, never been anyware. Seems to be a family thing, uncle suffers too, it's gone on for so long, kinda learned to live with it, but with baby being here, need to sort it really. Can't have screaming baby, and me lying in bed not being able to move to go and c to it :(

No Deffinatley not bit more than than it must be very upsetting ? I would suggest trying hypnotherapy or asking for a referral for a sleep study to get to the bottom of it .

No Deffinatley not bit more than than it must be very upsetting ? I would suggest trying hypnotherapy or asking for a referral for a sleep study to get to the bottom of it .

I'll have to see someone, annoying because some people say "are you sure your not dreaming". U know when your asleep
And when your awake, can hear everything going on around you, just can't move,
Hallucinate too. Pretty shit to be honest.

Whilst this sounds a tad terrifying don't beat yourself up about not being able to get to baby for a few mins if it is crying. You will get there and no point being upset or concerned about something you have no control over.

It does sound awful, its a long shot but you might find having a baby around will help it, newborns dont have nasty loudy crys, some hardly any noise and you get used to sleeping differently, hearing baby without realizing,like you just know when your needed , im just wondering if this will help change a pattern for you, like ellesbells says , a baby can wait a little and be fine.

Last edited:
My boyfriend gets this sometimes he says it happens more if he's sleeping on his back and it feels like someone's pushing his chest down and he can't move but he's awake. Also gets night terrors, scared the crap out of me at first he starts shouting mad shit now I just tell him to shut up haha x

My boyfriend gets this sometimes he says it happens more if he's sleeping on his back and it feels like someone's pushing his chest down and he can't move but he's awake. Also gets night terrors, scared the crap out of me at first he starts shouting mad shit now I just tell him to shut up haha x

It's horrible, night terrors are horrible and yes it's like someone pushing down on your chest. And it's mad noises in your head, just can't move tho :(

I used to get it. Bloody scary - I knew I was awake but couldn't move anything. "Dreams" during that time felt incredibly real.

Have you tried focusing on moving just your eyelids? I found that somewhere (eyelids have one of the smallest muscles) and it seemed to bring me out of the paralysis more quickly. Other than that, I'd be getting a referral off my GP if you're really concerned. My sleep paralysis stopped after I'd had it for a number of years. Have no idea why it started or why it stopped (just glad it did).

Omg iv had this for years! When i get it its when im on my back but i also feel like i cant breath even though i am, i eventually drop off somehow until morning but its so scary because ur body cant move or talk. I havnt had it since iv been pregnant but had it atleast once a week before then. But i try sleeping on my side now which i think helps xx

Glad there are a few other people to share this with, it is shit, had it for about 5 years now although its much better now than it was, good to know I'm not alone! Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back