Gosh...

kittykitchn

Reaction score
Just bumped into my next door neighbour for the first time since moving here a year ago (I'm not a very social person!), she's also expecting a girl next month. What a coincidence!
She didn't find out until she was 6 months gone - from someone who has felt like death throughout the last 7 months it's beyond me how that can happen lol she's also half my size at 36 weeks, Grrrr.

Although this may be a chance of a nice friendship, perhaps for us and our little girls, I'm nervous at the prospect of having a crying baby next door. The wall the separate our bedrooms is like paper, and I dread to think what it'll be like with two newborns waking at different times ect

Seeing as this is the first time I've spoken to her (other than complaining about noise :-\), does anyone have any suggestions of how I can make a point of reaching out? Like I said, I'm not very social and am not very good with people generally... I was thinking perhaps a congrats card through the door to start? I'm not sure what else really. I don't want to push myself upon her, but it'd be nice to have someone sharing the same thing to spend time with.

I think a congrats card is a lovely gesture and great starting point. I would make a point of having a 'casual' chat with her if you see her, How you feeling etc and then maybe one just drop it into conversation that if she's wanting some adult company while she's on mat leave she's welcome to pop round for a coffee (or whatever version you prefer!) She is probably thinking the same thing as you. If she ends up being a private person and doesn't want to be friendly then don't take it personally. Some people don't like getting too friendly with neighbours (my hubby included!!)

Good luck :) xx

My friend at work is expecting 2 weeks before me and Ive just invited her to go pregnancy yoga and aqua natal with me. Obviously this might be too much for someone you dont know but its a nice thing to share a jouney with someone like minded and like you say not just a friend for you but your little girl too.

A card and perhaps a nice wee candle or something. Im candle daft mind you. And once you chat and give her the gift just drop in it be good to get together or go baby shopping sometime. Im sure shell understand going shopping or even just chatting with someone in a similar position is a nice idea. Pregnancy and early days are very isolating for even the most sociable. I bet shell appreciate the reach out.

xxxx

Yes I agree either a card and just say if she gets lonely or fancies a coffee or a bit of lunch to pop over or you could go out. I don't have anyone and I do wonder what il be doing whilst I'm of. X

It's great that you want to reach out it'll do you good. I agree with the others, pop round with a card and small gift and extend the hand of friendship by offering a coffee. Good luck and I hope you become friends xx

Yeah I would do a congrats card once her baby is born and when you see her in near future just make small talk and one day just ask if she wants to go for a coffee or walk, especially once babies are both here. I am not a very sociable person, but since my lil girl arrived I have made friends with a girl from my ante natal group and I am so glad I made the effort to meet up with her, it gets me out the house and because her girl is older I can get so much advice off her etc. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back