Going to the Carribean next week -would u go?? - help

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by Duds, May 25, 2005.

1. Duds

Duds Well-Known Member

Hi,

Im recently new on here and desperate for some advice on what you would do. Im nearly 7weeks pregnant and am suffering from pretty bad sickness since I found out which only seems to be getting worse.
    The main problem is im supposed to be going to St.Lucia next week (will be 8wks) and am worried about going for the following reasons:-

1, The sickness is a eal problem & travelling will make it worse (i get travel sick anyway!)

2, The time difference - will this affect my morning sickness &mess my ststem up?

3, The food - its all inclusive & I know you have to be carefull what you eat out there, im also a vegetarian so dont know whats safe to eat or not.

4, The pregnancy is still in early days and worried if something happens

I know I might sound a bit dramatic but I dont want to put my baby at risk in any way, would you girls still go or cancel ? I'll probably loose all my money but I want to do whats right.
    Please help, this is my first baby so im not very experienced....

Suzy
    xxx

2. jo jo

jo jo Well-Known Member

Hi Suzy

i have just found out i am 4 weeks pregnant and i am due to fly to the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks time. I also have the same worries as you. I am going to fly but keep away from the milk, eggs salad (may have been washed in their water). I have been advised not to take malaria tablets, im not sure of the risk in St Lucia i know its low risk in the dominican republic but this is the main worry that i have. As long as the malaria risk is low i think you will be fine to go.

3. firebird23

firebird23 New Member

Hi,
    I would go it sounds like the holiday of a lifetime, would check with your dr though if you are worried, I was going to barbados for my friends wedding when found out I was pregnant and will be 30 weeks when the wedding is so cant go. :(

Hope this helps firebird23

4. Rooander

Rooander Well-Known Member

Hi there Suzy,
    I know exactly how you feel. Me & hubby got married 5th March but we didnt have our honeymoon till end of April. We went for two weeks in Tobago. By which time i was 9 wks preggers. I too was also worried about heat, food, sickness etc. To be honest the time difference thing didnt seem to be a problem, i still felt icky around 6pm.
    Food wise I have to say was my main problem, breakfast was fine but for the rest of the day I couldnt stomache any of their food. At night time for our evening meal, I had lettice and tomatoes for the whole of the 2 weeks. BUT we did manage to find a great resturant outside the complex which I thought was heaven. All I kept wanting and dreaming about was some marmite on toast or beans on toast, anything normal.
    We had a lovely lady in the kitchens that knew i was preggers and made me pasta most nights which was lovely, when i could eat it!!!!

Having said all that it was great to just lounge around and sleep the sicky feeling away.

Im glad we went though as it certainly made those two weeks go quickly and not just me sitting on the sofa thinking, am i really only 9 weeks gone????

Go on girl have a fab holiday, get some sunshine on you and enjoy yourself. St Lucia is gorgeous and the people there are fab. Just let on to them that your pregnant and they go to the ends of the earth to help you.

ROO
    xxx

5. michelle82

michelle82 Well-Known Member

Hi

I was worried about going away (I go to the dom rep on Thurs) but have spoken to the insurance company and any medical needs will still be covered. The holiday will do you the world of good and you might actually find the break relaxes you more. Make the most of this time whilst you can sick or not you wont be enjoying relaxing hols with a little one at your feet! I've spoken to the dr there is no probs with flying get some flight socks make sure you do excersises every half hour and ask to be seated near a loo! Just in case the sick ness kicks in.

With regards to the food they will have something you can eat and I'm sure if you have any worries your rep will be able to help and advise.

6. bobtheunfortunateone

bobtheunfortunateone Well-Known Member

Hi! I was going in late june and August, saw my midwife today and she said it is ok to go abroad! as long as i'm insured and the holiday people know!

I'm going to Cancun and she said I can eat salad (Does can be washed in there water!) I can have mayo, prawn salad and a drink now and then! So Cancun here we come Cancelled the one in june as I would have only been 12 weeks and was a wittle bum but she said as long as I and sensible then I will be ok JUST be careful for shell fish dressings as sometimes they are doddgy but your body tells you by chucking up! So go and have fun!!!!!

7. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

Hey my hubby and I are going to Latvia in Mid July, by which time I will be 10 weeks, hopefully, fingers crossed, and all that.

I was wondering if air travel was safe too, but going to ask the doc just in case. All of the sites I've googled seem to say, if you can put it off, do your flying between 12 and 26 weeks, because you will be feeling your best. Otherwise, it seems safe to travel by air in the first trimester.

Bon voyage to all you guys!

Sue

8. jo jo

jo jo Well-Known Member

Hi Sue

Flying is fine in early pregnancy, the only reason they say the second timester is best is because you will have got over morning sickness etc and should be more comfortable.

My flights were reasonably comfortable, just had to walk round now and then as got a bad back but you should be fine.

9. promises_promises

promises_promises New Member

hi im new to this. i have just found out that i am 4 weeks pregnant. and i am scared because my mum wants us all as a family to go to dubai. and seem as though i am only 16 i dont have much of a say. when my mum was pregnant about a year ago she went on holiday to pakistan, and she lost the baby, and maybe i was thinkin that she lost the baby because she was flying. i know this might seem dumb but i am really worried. what do you lot think? should i be this paranoid or should i just go on the holiday and enjoy myself?

10. littlebump

littlebump Well-Known Member

Hi Promises

Does your mum know you are pregnant? If so, have you talked to her about your concerns? I'm no expert but can't see that travelling abroad in itself would cause a miscarriage - there would have to be some underlying factor such as catching something whilst on holiday.

It is tragic, but miscarriages are common early in pregnany and there is often no explanation other than the pregnany just did not develop. Being on holiday at the time may make you blame yourself for going away, but chances are it is just a co-incidence. This could be the case with your mum.

I've neer been but am pretty sure you have to take anti-malarial tablets to go to Dubai - you may need to see your GP to ask about this as a few prior posts suggest these tablets should be avoided whilst pregnant.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on

LBxx