Going in for Monitoring

Skidoo

Reaction score
My ankles have been swollen and sore for the last week, but I was feeling fine otherwise so didn't think it was a problem. Went to the docs this morning and my BP has gone up and I have protein in my pee so I have to go to hospital for monitoring.

What do they actually do? Am I going to be strapped up to some machine or what?

Hi

Yes I should imagine you'll be hooked up to the machine that monitors the baby's heartbeat and also monitors if your having contractions then probably take urine/blood samples from you at regular intervals.

Try to relax, it's good they're taking you in to be on the safe side.

Good luck, hope you're ok

Lucy
40 + 2

hi skidoo, you are in exactly the same boat as i was on tuesday. i ahd high bp and protein in my urine and severe swollen legs. exactly same symptoms but i felt fine. went in for monitoring. they put a fetal heart monitor on to check bubbs heart beat, take blood to check protein in blood and take more urine samples. monitor your bp every hour or so to check how it is over a couple of hours. i was in for 6 hours as the lab was short staffed so bloods didnt get done too quick. they may also tell you to go back for a scan like i went yesterday so you can see bubba. they measure baby to see if protein has affected growth, they may even be able to tell you weight of baby. just be aware that if everything isnt as they like you may be kept in so id take bag with you if you can just incase. plus take food and a drink as they dont really like you walking around too much. hope this helps darlin, dont worry you will be in the best place and at least they have spotted it!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx

good luck skidoo hun hope all ok and your back home soon xxxx

Thanks for your thoughts girls.

My OH came home to take me to the hospital and we've just now got home. They hooked me up to the monitor, as you said they would, but my LO kept wriggling out of the way of the machine so it took ages to get the readings they wanted. Whenever she was 'on radar' her heart rate was just fine, but they needed 20 mins continuous before they'd let me go. I've got to go back tomorrow for more monitoring - what joy!

Good Luck Skidoo!! I'm sure everything will be OK!! Try to stay relaxed!!

xoxo Ree

hi skidoo glad bubbs was ok. thats all i was worried about. didnt really care about myself, felt at ease as soon as she said my baby was ok. god it still sounds strange calling it my baby. fingers crossed my midwife says all is well tomorrow morning when she pops round to take my bp. i will let yous all know how it goes. got my nails done so am trying to type really carefully! really impressed with them!!!

Sounds like they want to monitor you due to pre-eclampsia - hope your ok and everything goes well tommorow.

I too have really swollen ankles, feet, wrists and hands but my B/P and urine is fine so it looks like mine is just water.

L x

Im like u lisa, I called my mw due to an increase in oedema and some visual disturbances, she called me in for a check but urine and bp was fine. This was yesterday (thur) and she said she would come and see me at home on sat to check me again and that twice week visits would be needed till LO is here if the swelling doesnt go down!
Shes really good my mw :D

Sorry you're having trouble Skidoo. At least they are keeping an eye on you, and a bigger plus you can go in to be monitored and not have to stay in! (I never could sleep on a ward full of babies :roll: )

Let us know how it goes babe xxx

Went in again today. The swelling in my feet and ankles had gone right down (not quite normal, but less balloon like!), my BP was down and there was no protein in my pee - yay. So they monitored the babies heart for a while and sent me home again!

The last few weeks have been very stressful so it's not particularly surprising that my BP had gone up. I'd gotten myself all upset and worked up yesterday morning as well - something stupid - and guess I hadn't calmed down as much as I thought I had when I went to the docs. So somehow, despite ongoing housing stress, I just have to stay calm and not allow myself to get worked up about anything.

Anyhoo. The main thing is that my LO is just fine and not showing signs of an early arrival.

fayebalina said:
twice week visits would be needed till LO is here if the swelling doesnt go down!
Shes really good my mw :D

After reading what you put Faye I'm going to ring my docs on Monday and ask if I can see the M/W once a week now till my due date - as today has been really really uncomfortable with the swelling. Plus I think 2 weeks is way too long if you have swelling as you cannot tell what is happening with your blood pressure or urine. I hate having to ask/ pester them though. But that does seem a good idea.

L x

Forgot to say! - Im just annoyed I didnt ask when I saw her Wednesday - its like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone at our GP - the receptionists are like little rottweilers lol

L x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back