glucose tolerance test

Mamazee

Reaction score
Hey ladies, has anyone done this test, the dr said i might get some nausea, i'm a little woried, how does it feel and when did u have ur last meal the night before?

Hi I had it a while back. Think I last ate at about eight the night before. I was starving by the time I was done, but it wasn't too bad as for the two hour wait you just have to sit down x

I had it, to be honest it wasn't very pleasant, the drink was so sweet it made me feel sick but I know someone who did it and wasn't bothered by it!

I think my apt was about 9am so I ate something about 9pm the night before (had to fast for 12 hrs). I took a snack with me to eat straight after as I knew I'd be hungry!

Does everyone get this done and when is it usually done ? X

I had this Monday with a scan and consultant appointment straight after drink was fine but had the shakes after as was soo hungry x

Does everyone get this done and when is it usually done ? X

I dunno if everyone gets it, i guess it depends on ur consultant or ob/gyn. Usually done 27-29 weeks i guess xx i will be doing it at 29 wk

Not everyone gets it. If you have a high BMI or a family history they will test you (there may be other reasons that hey will test too but they are the only ones I'm aware of) x

I've been lucky enough to have it twice! First one was due to my dad having diabetes and the second was because baby was measuring large on a scan. I think the worst part was having to drink Lucozade in a 5 minute time frame. I hate the taste and fizzy drinks on an empty stomach aren't the best. They take a vial of blood when you arrive and another vial when the 2 hours is up. You just have to make sure you bring something to do for the 2 hours as you have to stay sat in the hospital.

I actually liked the glucose drink haha! X

I don't know anything about my family history I was adopted x

I don't know anything about my family history I was adopted x

Don't worry too much its only a guide. And usually glucose would show up in urine anyway the gtt is just an extra test if you have pre conditioning to it like others have said large measuring baby or high bmi at booking in appoint. I have high bmi and had gtt which I wasn't allowed to eat or drink past 6pm then had test 7am nextday one blood test then drink a bottle of lucozade original then sit for two hours and then another blood test. Mine was fine no ddiabetes. That said even if it did show you had g.d they can often control it with diet so don't automatically assume it means drugs xxx

Will it matter if I had a urine infection at the start of pregnancy? X

Will it matter if I had a urine infection at the start of pregnancy? X

I don't think so hun its more about the blood sugar levels not the urine levels. I would ask mw though or person doing the test if its a worry for you xx

Just wondering as they know I dnt know family history at all and I think now that I'm n tri 3 it's both midwife and consultant led care but if it sounds as bad as every says it does il b grateful I won't get it done lol x

I think they will refer you if the baby is bigger than it should be, or you have sugar in your urine or if you have PCOS (like me)

I had it a while back. U only have to do it if u have a high bmi or like me my dad is type 2 diabetes. My appointment was at 8.30, u cant eat anything beforehand, i think from 12 midnight. I had mine at the doctors where they take a blood and i think u need to give a urine sample too then u have to sit there and drink a litre of lucazade which i cant stand anyway, but its even worse when you've had nothing to eat which made me feel a bit sick. U then have to wait 2 hours then go back and have another blood test taken. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back