Glasses

Rebecca89

Reaction score
does anyone know whether we are entitled to free/cheaper glasses with our exemption cards?
i really need some and dont have the money at all, googles not being very helpful on this question! xxx

I don't think so, I think your exemption only covers dental + prescriptions. I'd phone your local optician to double check though :) x

It entitled me to a free eye test and a percentage off glasses (can't remember exactly what percentage, maybe 40%)

I got laser eye surgery in 2008 and pregnancy made my eyesight deteriorate :( have to get the surgery again after this baba is born.

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

Looking on the specsavers website, being pregnant does not entitle you to cheaper/free sight care. The info is here http://www.specsavers.co.uk/eye-health/nhs-eye-test.

The cheaper way to do glasses is to go and get your eyes tested in a store (search for coupons online/in local magazines - I got mine done for £5 last time). They will give you your prescription, then just go online and order your lenses and frames them from there. So much cheaper, but obviously the downside is you can't try them on. My father in law gets his glasses like this all the time.

I didn't get anything off glasses while pregnant.
Go to a large tesco with an opticians, the eye tests are free and they have some decent glasses starting from £15.
Tesco also do buy one get one free on most of their glasses too.

Go to boots opticians, that's where my exemption card got me the free eye test and money off glasses.

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

Do you work at a computer? If so your employer should pay towards your eye test and sometimes a percentage towards your glasses

Ask your HR department x

yep im at a computer all day will have to look into that!! thanks all! xxx

Bit of HR law for you - Incase they fob you off- VDU = computer

The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 (SI 1992/2792) cover visual display unit (VDU) work. Regulation 5 sets out an employer's responsibility for providing eyesight tests. It provides that the employer must ensure that, on request, VDU users - or individuals who are to become VDU users - are provided with an appropriate eye and eyesight test. VDU users are defined as employees who habitually use display screen equipment as a significant part of their normal work. The test must be carried out as soon as practicable after the request or, where the individual is to become a VDU user, before he or she does so. Thereafter, the employer must ensure that the VDU user is provided with further eye and eyesight tests at regular intervals.
Employers are required to pay for spectacles for a VDU user only if the results of his or her eye and eyesight test show that special corrective applicances are necessary for VDU work and that normal corrective appliances cannot be used. Only a small number of people need special spectacles for VDU work. These typically have prescription lenses for the intermediate distance at which the VDU screen is viewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back