girls wanting a home birth?* my update.. pg 3

lisa&alex

Reaction score
hey everyone.. just been reading your lets talk about birth thread...

and as some of you may know im having a home waterbirth if all goes to plan.. and while i have been nosing around for a birth pool.. most are about 80-90 quid without accessories.. well i found this...

http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/pools.shtml its the 4th pool down.. and it IS a birth pool...and well jsut look at the price!! fab! birthpool in a box and labassine pool is around £20 p&p so jsut wanted to share it with you guys... i shall let you know how it goes.. and looks in a few weeks if anyones interested..xx

hunni do you mean the fishes one?

thats a BARGAIN!!!! thanks for that :hug:

I do just have one question about birthing pools at home....how do you empty them? :think:

Im thinking of having mine in my front room. We have a downstirs bathroom so would be ok but how the hell do you get the water out? Also do you need to supply a sieve or does the midwife bring her own for fishing out any 'debris' that may occur :D

x

r u nuts :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: all that mess u have 2 clean up ewwww. lol

do they leave ur placenta at ur house 4 u 2 clean up aswell or do they take it away in a doggy bag hehe

Im just going to cover everything as if I were decorating. The placenta can be buried if she leaves it. The rest of the goo and crap can go in the bin - ahh it will be fine!

I'm hoping for a home birht - initially wanted a waterbirth but have just realised that with our new sofas (that should be here tomorrow :pray: ) there is NO space in our house for a pool :lol:

You get industrial pumps to get the water out Tillytots :D

Tegala-7thMarch08 said:
Tillytots said:
The placenta can be buried if she leaves it.
ur guna have all the cats an dogs diggin a big whole in ur garden loool and straching at the bins :rotfl:

:rotfl: its ok Il push my bin outside someone elses house. I could always leave the placenta on the grass out the front. I live opposite a massive park and Im sure some dog would appreciate a nice placenta for tea :rotfl: :puke:

Tillytots said:
Tegala-7thMarch08 said:
Tillytots said:
ur guna have all the cats an dogs diggin a big whole in ur garden loool and straching at the bins :rotfl:

:rotfl: its ok Il push my bin outside someone elses house. I could always leave the placenta on the grass out the front. I live opposite a massive park and Im sure some dog would appreciate a nice placenta for tea :rotfl: :puke:

imagine that walking down the street only to find a random placenta on someones lawn :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Tegala-7thMarch08 said:
Tillytots said:
[quote="Tegala-7thMarch08":1wuq3y7t]
Tillytots said:

imagine that walking down the street only to find a random placenta on someones lawn :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
[/quote:1wuq3y7t]

LOL - if you ever see one then you'll knows whos it is :wink:

Invite some friends round and give them 'mystery stew'...
Tell them once they have eaten it all :D

what could you have it with apart from in a stew? Placenta, mash, veg and gravy - thats more for the winter dish. Summer could be Placenta , chips and salad.

Thanks Tegala for not grassing me up for my placental fly tipping :rotfl:

well... we have measured for a bigger pool.. 6ft all the way around and realised i wont get much support from it.. im 5ft9 so i wouldnt be able to put my feet anf back on the sides if i needed to..

anyway i wanted to put the pool in the kitchen to start off with.. so if i needed to get out and birth out of water the living room would be free.. with sofa and duvet on the floor (and plastic sheets obviously (you can get these from wilkinsons for 99p if mw doesnt provide them) however the midwife will need access to all sides of the pool to walk around.. so we have decided that when i go into labour alex is going to take the kitchen table into the shed for a day or so.. and move the sofa into the kitchen, blow up the pool and start filling it once i know theres no going back..

with a combi boiler it should take 2 bath fulls to fill it.. so that would be around 30-40 mins. with a normal baxi boiler same 2ish bathfulls but a little longer due to you having to reheat the water..if you have a baxi.. its a good idea to keep the imersion (sp) on

as for emptying the pool.. the fishy one that i showed you.. has an inflatable floor and drain.. and you empty it through the drain hole.. attach a hose pipe to the drain hole and run it throught your house to expernal drain i also have an aquarium pump (old one) we will probably use to pump the water out (for a hose, apparently you need a food grade hose.. im going to ask the midwife about this today..so shall get back to you)

sieve can be bought from any hardwear store also you will need to check what type of tap connector you will need they can also be bought for any hardwear store.. wilkinsons is pretty good for everything you need tbh

and about cleaning up and mess after.. the midwife does it all..im going to use an old duvet.. so it can be thrown out.. plastic sheets - lots of.. and lots and lots of towels.. that can just be thrown in the washing machine right after.. i think you keep your placenta to get rid of yourself.. midwife provides a biohazzard bag and someone comes to collect it from you to incinerate.. i think (will get bk to you on it).

im pretty excited about it.. its gonna be fun lol..

thankyou lis! Ive saved this post so I can look back at it nearer the time for me. Sounds like you have everything covered :D Im 5ft 1 so probably fit ok in the fishes one and Im gonna have to out mine in the kitchen too.

Awww cant wait 'til you have your bubs!! :cheer: how exciting :D :D

xx

I have to say I have completely changed my opinions on homebirths since having my own! :rotfl:

I was really against them and thought that the mess etc would be just gross and I was worried that if anything happened, I wouldn't be at hospital and have the technology there. Thought it was all very earth mother and I'm not that kind of person.

Everything changed when the midwife checked me and there wasn't the time to get to hospital!

Well...we covered the floor with towels and plastic sheets- and there wasn't as much mess as I thought there would be. MW took everything nasty away in a yellow biohazard bag (once she'd had a poke around in the afterbirth to see if everything had come away properly!!). The MW also had the homebirth kit in the car so all the injections etc were to hand.

ALSO I always thought that I would be the biggest wimp when it came to pain relief but because the only pain relief available was gas and air (and even that didn't do much!) I did it all pretty much pain relief free which meant that I was up and around(ish!) within half an hour of the baby being born!

Plus we haven't had the worry of any of the nasty hospital bugs.

The only downside I can think of is that you miss out on that kind of social aspect of meeting other new mums on the hospital ward.

well done you Kylie!!!! :hug: :hug: I read your birth story - was amazing :D I think you are alot more relaxed in your familiar surroundings and therefore able to cope so much better with pain etc and its brilliant that you were able to be up and about so quick and spend time with your LO in the comfort of your home without having to go anywhere! I hope mine goes just as well. Was it your first hun?

xx

Yes 1st baby and I NEVER imagined that I could do it without pain relief - EVER!!! lol! I was so worried about child birth that I would have opted for the C section at one point!

Kylie1007 said:
The only downside I can think of is that you miss out on that kind of social aspect of meeting other new mums on the hospital ward.

ai but on the upside.. you didnt have to deal with other babys screaming at stupid o clock in the morning.. and the mws waking uyou up at 7 am whether you wanted to wake up or not..and crappy hospital food, and stupid visiting hrs..! gah at the thought!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back